Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with only 5 hours on my 19 general i can say it fits my needs with modest exception. Does it really have to be that loud in the cab? Does any know how to quiet this machine down? Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
512 Posts
You have to be more specific as to what is causing the noise. My machine is very quiet and I have aftermarket exhaust. What year is your machine? And welcome to the site.

Sorry, I reread your post and see it's a 19.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the response.. the exhaust tone and noise fills the cab.. i have a stock exhaust. Is there an aftermarket exhaust that quiets this down. I have read about a "silencer" that attaches to the stock exhaust but it is not for this application.
Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have found that they definitely are louder inside with full cab or closed up. Lot’s of flat smooth surfaces to reflect noise. With the 1/2 doors, windshield & back glass, I don’t find it very noisy, until getting over 50 MPH. There was a guy on here that went to a lot of work to insulate & sound reduce his machine. Do a search and you will find the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
512 Posts
The stock exhaust is about as quiet an exhaust as you will find. Anything aftermarket is going to be louder. I have the HMF quiet core and it is only slightly louder than stock but a much mellower tone. Is this your first off road machine? I find the General is pretty quiet compared to similar machines. Of course my previous machine was a Can Am Commander with the motor sitting right in your lap. Talk about LOUD! I'm betting you don't have a rear windshield. That will cut the noise and the dust.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, it is my first sport side by side,, i have a kubota rtv900 (diesel) which in comparison is less noisy.. i have a front glass, back glass, roof, and stock oem 1/2 doors... We have allowed road usage in the community which post a max 25mph... at 5,000 rpm, my sound bar has to be cranked a little to be heard.. Appreciate the responses.. it is how it is... Had worse problems and i do enjoy the machine.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The stock sound bar is useless. Some have modified it with a sub woofer but most have gone to aftermarket sound systems. The General is definitely going to be louder than the Kubota or John Deere or similar low power utility machines. That power has to come from somewhere and it makes noise. If you can carry on a normal conversation while driving down the road or trail without screaming, then you are doing ok.

Read the threads on the round rollers vs the square pucks in your secondary clutch and know that until you change them, every time you drive your General, you are doing damage to your clutch. Another issue is the Turf Mode. You need to waterproof the connection to prevent cycling of the actuator. There are a lot of threads on this as well.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
And you know...if its too loud...get some of the yellow foam ear plugs and wear them! I did that for all my biking years an all my years in power plants. And I've lost very little of my hearing!

I've also installed a Rugged Radio intercom system...and the headsets provide some good hearing protection.

Just thoughts,

Pirate

·
Registered
719 Posts
... We have allowed road usage in the community which post a max 25mph...
I keyed in on this part...D.O.T. tires will make a world of difference in this area. I never had them until I picked up a friend's machine from the dealer once. Driving it across the parking lot I thought there was something wrong with it because it was so smooth and quiet. Now all our machines have D.O.T. tires. We ride hard pack with only occasional mud though so your riding conditions (outside town) may not be conducive to the tread pattern of these style tires. Just a thought.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I keyed in on this part...D.O.T. tires will make a world of difference in this area. I never had them until I picked up a friend's machine from the dealer once. Driving it across the parking lot I thought there was something wrong with it because it was so smooth and quiet. Now all our machines have D.O.T. tires. We ride hard pack with only occasional mud though so your riding conditions (outside town) may not be conducive to the tread pattern of these style tires. Just a thought.

Agreed. Switched mine over and noticed the difference immediately. I also find that the Bluetooth input on my stock system produces a much better sound quality than any radio stations. Must be lucky, cuz all I have seen is complaints on the forum here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for the comments! ,,,,, Starky, I elected to go with the "party bar" as opposed to the polaris product.. really like it and it affords in cab lighting as well. Combined that with the in dash controls and it works just fine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I picked up a set of Cowin E8 noise cancelling head sets and never looked back. These things are sleek and lightweight.
It's uncanny how well they work. When you switch on the noise cancelling switch the tire whine and lower pitched engine noise disappears. My wife and I can carry on a conversation at 50 mph, no problem. And we aren't connected headset to headset. The other cool thing is you can Bluetooth to your phone for music. Check out the reviews for Cowin headsets on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I picked up a set of Cowin E8 noise cancelling head sets and never looked back. These things are sleek and lightweight.
It's uncanny how well they work. When you switch on the noise cancelling switch the tire whine and lower pitched engine noise disappears. My wife and I can carry on a conversation at 50 mph, no problem. And we aren't connected headset to headset. The other cool thing is you can Bluetooth to your phone for music. Check out the reviews for Cowin headsets on Amazon.
Nice suggestion, do the wirelessly connect to each other and that's how you talk and hear conversation

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice suggestion, do the wirelessly connect to each other and that's how you talk and hear conversation
That is one thing you can't do with the Cowins. You can Bluetooth to your phone, the Ride Command, but not to each other.
The point is, the noise cancelling works so well at eliminating unwanted noise that you can carry on a conversation at speed. That is not possible without them. I don't even drive around the block without them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts