Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To you guys that have the lock and ride poly windshield..... Which of these do you think would work better and look less obtrusive. I like the idea of a full shield for dirt and rocks. I also like the idea of a full shield in winter to knock the wind down. Now I know a lot of you are from farther north and a North Carolina winter is laughable to y'all and I'm fine with that..... But it's cold to me. The problem is I don't want to deal with the dust stuck in the cab.

1. Would you be able to place a shim between the poly and the mount to kick the bottom out to let some air in to flow out the dust?

2. Is there enough room to trim a few inches off the top and bottom to let some air in.

3. Do you think drilling a row of holes across the bottom with a hole saw to let some air in..

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a full on my 800 did not like it. Switch to a half windshield did not have a problem with it getting covered in mud still wear goggles with the half but not bad

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I thought about a full lock and ride windshield for cold wether and a half windshield for hot weather.
That is what I was going to do then I figured as I get older changing windshields and storing them would be a hassle, so I decided on the tip out I already spent a lot what was a little more. I hope I like it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have full tip out and am still so unhappy with dust. I can't get Polaris to respond to this and have complained. My older one did not do this. I am coated with dust after a 5 minute ride. So unhappy. We put a small piece of round foam to hold tip out windshield open just a little. Better, but still need a shower when you come home. We have stuffed so much stuff in this vehicle that it looks like the Beverly Hillbilly's truck! Too much money to look like this. Not a good advertisement for Polaris! How can we get Polaris to address this? I have searched and have seen so many complaints about this issue that says it is a BIG issue. The dust swirls so bad it gets in your eyes. I don't want to do without a windshield and deal with bugs and wind and cold. For this much money, it should not be like this.

·
1,560 Posts
image.jpg
This back panel is going to get sealed. Get the rubber molding treatment! Take a hose to it and water leaks inside all along the top. Great source for dust do to its location.

·
1,560 Posts
It's a plastic panel. Window is water tight. Panel I could force my finger through it at the top. All along and around that panel is gaps and voids.

·
1,560 Posts
image.jpg
All around this panel. Also pull up a cup holder. The whole underside of the center consul is open to the out side. You can look down at the air intake tubes for the engine or clutches. If your in a dusty environment I can see how this could be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
1,000 Posts
View attachment 2962
All around this panel. Also pull up a cup holder. The whole underside of the center consul is open to the out side. You can look down at the air intake tubes for the engine or clutches. If your in a dusty environment I can see how this could be an issue.
I will be puting a seal there for sure

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have full tip out and am still so unhappy with dust. I can't get Polaris to respond to this and have complained. My older one did not do this. I am coated with dust after a 5 minute ride. So unhappy. We put a small piece of round foam to hold tip out windshield open just a little. Better, but still need a shower when you come home. We have stuffed so much stuff in this vehicle that it looks like the Beverly Hillbilly's truck! Too much money to look like this. Not a good advertisement for Polaris! How can we get Polaris to address this? I have searched and have seen so many complaints about this issue that says it is a BIG issue. The dust swirls so bad it gets in your eyes. I don't want to do without a windshield and deal with bugs and wind and cold. For this much money, it should not be like this.
BS and welcome to the off road world. Polaris aint goin to do anything about a dust problem LOL. Do a total cab seal and hope for the best or move on to somthin else. Its like complaining about a boat and havin water spray LOL. Ive been on top of everything about the General out there on the net and cant find any (MANY DUST ISSUES as you say) dust in the cab problems.

·
Registered
348 Posts
with out a back panel with these bikes your going to get dust and dirt on you. the inside of my bike gets more dust in it then the out side does. and i just ordered the half windshield for mine. the dang weather in Oklahoma is all over the place, it was 35 degrees Wednesday and 75 on Saturday. I'm going to have to make a holder for my windshields so i can have both of them with me. lol

·
Registered
408 Posts
It's a plastic panel. Window is water tight. Panel I could force my finger through it at the top. All along and around that panel is gaps and voids.
The top center of my plastic panel under the back glass is the same way. I didn't notice the bow int he center until I was riding today. I think the engine heat is contributing to the panel bowing. It needs another catch in the center instead of the two on the sides. Water running down the back glass goes right in this panel.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
View attachment 2954
This back panel is going to get sealed. Get the rubber molding treatment! Take a hose to it and water leaks inside all along the top. Great source for dust do to its location.
To seal out the dust from that joint you could buy closed cell foam like they use for backing for caulk for a control joint on a commercial cinder block building, or if you came behind a sloppy carpenter that left big cracks. You can buy this by the foot in many diameters. You would find at a store that sells bulk caulk supplies.:)

·
1,560 Posts
The top center of my plastic panel under the back glass is the same way. I didn't notice the bow int he center until I was riding today. I think the engine heat is contributing to the panel bowing. It needs another catch in the center instead of the two on the sides. Water running down the back glass goes right in this panel.
Mine was bowed from day one.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
This is one of the reasons I purchased the Lock N Ride glass windshield and the Lock N Ride rear panel.

The rear panel stops a lot of the dust from swirling around the front windshield and back into the cab.

There's a guy on eBay that sells rubber sheet that seals under the seats. Haven't gotten to look at a General close enough to see what is open...but I'll be getting some of the same rubber sheeting to seal any openings underneath the interior. I use strips of Velcro glued to the sheeting with contact cement. I use the Velcro with adhesive to stick it to the cab floor, and then add a pop rivet about every two inches.

Doesn't keep all the dust out...but sure helps!!

Pirate

·
Registered
223 Posts
Did this to my Commander and I have looked at the General and should work real good as well.

I have a KOLPIN rear panel on the commander (Not sealed at all) I also used a swimming pool noodle to form a seal between the bed and back of the cab (Use zip ties to tie to back of cab). That in conjunction with no front window or a 1/2 rear window works awesome. Almost ZERO dust.

We never ride with front on unless its real cold.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
2 Posts
BS back and thanks for the welcome. You have not done a search for dust in cab just in Google and seen all of the complaints. Even my dealer almost did not make a sale to someone else because of dust. It is not like a boat with water spray. You must not ride off road in dusty conditions. You cannot keep your eyes open at times. There is a vortex of dust rolling throughout the cab. Not talking just a little dust. I am on a ranch and sure can deal with dirt and dust but this is beyond that. It really does not take much searching to find these issues and people's fixes just for them to find out it does not work. I would also enjoy the water from a boat, not the same as chewing on dust all of the time. I do know what I am talking about and was looking forward to constructor ideas and help.

·
1,560 Posts
BS back and thanks for the welcome. You have not done a search for dust in cab just in Google and seen all of the complaints. Even my dealer almost did not make a sale to someone else because of dust. It is not like a boat with water spray. You must not ride off road in dusty conditions. You cannot keep your eyes open at times. There is a vortex of dust rolling throughout the cab. Not talking just a little dust. I am on a ranch and sure can deal with dirt and dust but this is beyond that. It really does not take much searching to find these issues and people's fixes just for them to find out it does not work. I would also enjoy the water from a boat, not the same as chewing on dust all of the time. I do know what I am talking about and was looking forward to constructor ideas and help.
We're on it. First thing I need is a dry day!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts