Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've designed and cut on the PlasmaCam a bracket to mount the license plate and license plate light.

Using an Axia Alloys license plate bracket.

But my plate will bolt to the tail gate.

Thinking I can use Rivit Nuts through the thick tail gate lower piece and save myself a lot of time disassembling the tail gate to get to the lower piece to hold bolt and nut.

Anyone else working on this issue?

Pirate

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I got the Arizona license plate mounted, the required light wired in, and all is good. Here's how I did it:

Decided there was no way I was going to mount the license plate up on the orange tailgate. Decided there was no way to mount it to the Polaris rear bumper without making a mess of it.

I purchased an Axia Alloys license plate bracket at ROTR and wound up using only parts of it for my installation.

I cut my mounting plate on the PlasmaCam and used the Point command to cut a small divot at the center of each hole required.

Here's the drawing of my mount:

Three mounting holes across the top, one for the LED license plate light, and four for the Axia Alloys bracket.

So decided to mount it to the black plastic piece at the bottom of the tailgate. Looked into the parts pages to see how I could get to that piece to put bolts through. Aha!! Using Rivit Nuts for all the skid plate bolts, why not use them on the tailgate trim? Its plastic, will they work? Yup, and I used 5/16" Rivit Nuts that are a bit larger in diameter, so might hold better in the plastic. This size Rivit Nut requires a 7/16" hole.

Next was positioning the mounting plate such that the Axia Alloys bracket would not be rubbing on the inside of the Polaris rear bumper tubes. I went forward and mounted the Axia Alloys bracket onto the mounting plate and moved it around until I found a location that would prevent the bracket and rear bumper rubbing.

So my bracket uses three bolts to hold it to the tailgate, and has three 5/16" mounting holes drilled in it. So positioned the mounting plate where I wanted and drilled the center hole. Then opened it to 7/16" and installed Rivit Nut. Installed a bolt through the mounting plate, leveled the plate, drilled the other two holes, opened them up and installed Rivit Nuts. Here it is:

Painted my mounting plate "satin black" to match the black on the General:

And here it is mounted to the tailgate:

Now to wire the license plate light that came with the Axia Alloys bracket.

On top of the frame, almost back to the pivot point of the bed, is a four pin plug connector that carries four wires. I covered this in my Turn Signals post...but again...the plug has a Red/Dark Blue wire that is the taillights and a Brown that is ground.

I spliced into the Red/Dark Blue wire with a Red wire and the Brown wire with a Green wire. I do this to be able to track which wire goes where!!! As you can see in the pic below, I doubled the wires in the new plug so that I would have two hot/ground circuits. One for the license plate light, and one for something else. The new connector is attached to the frame next to the OEM connector using two squares of 3M foam adhesive.

I used 1/4" split loom to cover the wires.

So now if I have to remove the bed, I just have to unplug the new connector, take out the three bolts holding the mounting plate to the tailgate, and set it aside.

Here's how it looks finished:

If you have questions on how I did the project or would like a mounting plate...send me a PM.

Pirate

1 - 4 of 4 Posts