Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The key switch in my 2018 RC continued to be harder and harder to start. When rotating the switch to the start position, you would have to slightly let it come back, and maybe it would crank over. Oddly it felt it was never the exact position when the starter would engage.

I drove two hours to the dealer, and was given the wrong switch, as mine is a four blade connector on the back, and the new one was a 6 connector unit. While I was looking at the old one, I noticed the switch was easy to disassemble, by easily sliding a small screw drive under the three clips.

The switch is full of die electric grease. I used contact cleaner to clear the grease out, and everything looked good but for some reason the switch wasn’t activating the starter circuit.

I was out of grease so I cleaned the internal connectors and reassembled. It worked somewhat better, but wasn’t consistent.

So I bought some die electric grease, and pulled the switch completely apart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continued

I pulled the spring tensioned brass clips from the plastic holder. Be careful as once the two parallel clips are pulled, a small ball bearing and plastic clip will fall out.

Once everything was apart, I used a jewelers file to clean the contact points, but emery clothe would work as well. Followed up by contact cleaner and compressed air, then a little bit of die electric grease.

I tried the repaired switch and again an improvement was noticed, but still was consistent. So out the switch came again. This time I picked the switch with dielectric grease, and bingo! It works fantastic.

Oddly it seems the grease needs to be packed into the switch, and then the switch only goes so far into the starter circuit. Fully greased the switch has a gentle buffer as it is turned to the start position, and has worked the last four days flawlessly. Maybe I’m off on this, but it worked for me and beats buying $100 switch.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny thing is that like the old movies, you could rip the wires from under the dash, strip and jump them across and start the darn thing

·
Registered
821 Posts
...I drove two hours to the dealer, and was given the wrong switch, as mine is a four blade connector on the back, and the new one was a 6 connector unit. ...
There is something wrong with the Polaris parts breakdown. I just ran into this on a 2019 Sportsman also. Computer shows it takes the 6 pin rectangular style switch but the machine had the 4 pin square version. Luckily I was there in person and knew it wasn't right. Parts guy was not happy because he is a perfectionist and realized the trouble this could cause for him with other parts/customers. He will constantly question if he is sending out the correct part now.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Great post and responses, no problems with my key but I’ve “hot wired “ a few cars in my day............. hey ??????? Don’t get no silly ideas here, they were my cars........(I think??)

Again, great post and thanks to all who contributed for sharing your thoughts.

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a couple more pictures. (This is the incorrect switch from the dealer, but same idea)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts