Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 G2 Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 General Premium (the red and black one). Ride in northern WI so minimal asphalt, a lot of gravel roads, hard pack trails, and some sandy trails. Not afraid of a puddle, but dont go looking for mud holes and avoid getting stuck. My rear tire was punctured on the trail and after 3 plugs to get back to my cabin, it still has a leak. I've read a lot about different tire options and want to upgrade. Here is my plan and questions.
1. I will have a tube put in to allow the unit to be driveable for the short term.
2. Then replace all 4 tires and keep fronts as potential spares. Just need to buy a rim to use for the spare.
3. I'm thinking the Tusk Terribites would be a good choice based on reviews here. Heard they run small, and I don't want to go smaller, but dont want mechanical upgrades to go bigger. Stock are 27x9R14 and 27x11R14. Sounds like 30" could work as they measure smaller - is that the right thought?
4. Do people just have a tire shop swap off the tires? Trying to avoid the dealer costs. They wanted nearly $300 to replace the one rear tire with the issue.

Appreciate the help for this very basic rider....

·
Super Moderator
3,135 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I'd suggest to spend just a little more, and get four wheels the same size. It'll allow you to rotate them, and you'll then have two spares(stock fronts), for if/when you need them.

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
484 Posts
The terrabites are awesome tires. I love them. They do run small. I ordered 32’s and got 30” tires. Someone else on here ordered 30’s and got just over 28”...almost 29”. That’s probably what you should expect. But yeah.....a great tire at an affordable price!

·
Registered
2021 General 1000 Deluxe
91 Posts
I like the Carnivore's 30x10R14 are actually 29.5. Great in snow, hard pack, Lite Mud, wear little on asphalt.
Stock rims are different front and back so use the front size rim for spare, that way can be used for both.

·
Registered
21 General XP Pursuit ED 2 loaded with everything but upper doors
103 Posts
I had a 10 ply DOT tires on my 18 General mongrels tire and I run the tires at 18-19 psi and only got one nail in it but I know what you mean by you run the grade and get a railroad spike in your tires and then you need five or six plugs in it to get you home

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
One thing to look for. Tires with tread blocks that extend down the sidewall. This prevents a lot of sidewall tears and punctures...that happen a lot out on the trail.

I run EFX Motovators that I get through Rocky Mountain ATV. I'm running 29" as that's all I need. But something to look at, if just to see how the tread blocks extend almost all the way to the bead.

Just a suggestion.

Pirate

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sound advice from MMX. A full set of either 28-10-14 or 30-10-14. The BFG KM3 would fit your riding to a "T". They run true to size in the 32-10-15 size that I run. RABBI just got a set of 30". Maybe he can confirm how they measure up size wise What would you choose?
Steel belted radial and tough as they come. They don't have tread blocks running down the sidewalls, and they do not need them. I have abused the heck out of mine in the rocks and really not a mark on the sidewalls. BFG has been in the business a long time and they know how to build an off-road tire. They also are a surprisingly good snow tire. Probably as good as anything I've ever run in the past.
Carnivores run smaller than advertised, and are prone to trail damage. They also wear quickly. Good performers, just not what I would buy again.
Tusk Terrabites are a good tire. Yes they do run short and no they are not a very good snow tire.

BFG KM3

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My vote is 32x14 Tensor Regulators but I live in Baja so I’m a little biased. I’ve had them on for two and a half years and zero flats, but hey it’s just Baja and the trails are cushy.........not!!!!!!
Another tire making an impact on off road racing down here is Yokohama. Go online and check out Wayne Matlock and his wife Kristen (both Factory Polaris racers and Dakar participants)

Hey!!!!!!!! It was only two pesos worth but good advice Amigo

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. I'd suggest to spend just a little more, and get four wheels the same size. It'll allow you to rotate them, and you'll then have two spares(stock fronts), for if/when you need them.
From someone just learning about maintaining a General...
If the stock tires for the General are 27x9R14 and 27x11R14 and you wanted the Tusk Terribites, would you get four 30x10-14? Will they fit both the front and the back?

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
484 Posts
Yes get all the same. 30x10x14. Are you getting wheels too or are you using stock wheels? It’ll still work just be a bit different width due to the wheel width difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes get all the same. 30x10x14. Are you getting wheels too or are you using stock wheels? It’ll still work just be a bit different width due to the wheel width difference.
That was my main question...I was hoping for just stock wheels, but I didn't know if they would work.

·
Registered
245 Posts
From someone just learning about maintaining a General...
If the stock tires for the General are 27x9R14 and 27x11R14 and you wanted the Tusk Terribites, would you get four 30x10-14? Will they fit both the front and the back?
Yep, that is exactly what I did. I have no mods to the suspension either. All stock other than the terrabites and 4 new Tusk cascade 14x7 wheels.

Reactions: TCampbell
1 - 16 of 16 Posts