Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coalbucket named this thread. :laugh:
Because the weather here sucks right now it is giving me time to look my machine over for potential issues that can be addressed before they become a problem. One owner already experienced radiator damage from a rock due to insufficient guarding around the radiator. I'm looking at a clearance issue between the winch cable and the front differential vent tube. This isn't a place to piss and moan about Polaris but a place to help each other get the most out of our machines.
I hope this will be useful.
Randy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hitch no go.

Attempted to insert my standard 2" ball mounted on my 2 x 2 draw bar into the hitch opening on my general, found out it would not slide into the opening. I did not have the manual with me but was told by dealer that the general was designed for your standard 2" ball setup.
Any one insert a draw bar into the opening, what size draw bar fits it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Attempted to insert my standard 2" ball mounted on my 2 x 2 draw bar into the hitch opening on my general, found out it would not slide into the opening. I did not have the manual with me but was told by dealer that the general was designed for your standard 2" ball setup.
Any one insert a draw bar into the opening, what size draw bar fits it?
Does it almost fit in or do you have a larger two and a half inch hitch that's common on larger pick ups now?

·
Registered
374 Posts
All of the winches I've had, the cable fed out from the top of the winch. In that pic it looks like the cable feeds out from below? Is the cable installed on the winch properly?

Any way of mounting another roller across the bottom of the mount so the cable will clear the vent?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Winch cable

I checked my general tonight and the winch cable comes out from the bottom of the drum. I was amazed on how far back the drum sits inside the general. Yes my cable dangels quite close to my vent tube. Thinking about placing a small piece of that wiring protective cover, that is split down the middle, over the tube to prevent rubbing. When there is tension on the cable it rise away from the vent line.

Attachments

·
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah they tucked it in there didn't they.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't like the pockets behind the front tires formed by the skid plate and the footwell. It's ideal for packing in mud, leaves, sticks etc. I am thinking of adding some foot protection here, and some sort of mudflap. I doubt there are any after market mud protection available yet. Let me know if you know of any.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Breather tube/winch cable conflict

I checked my general tonight and the winch cable comes out from the bottom of the drum. I was amazed on how far back the drum sits inside the general. Yes my cable dangels quite close to my vent tube. Thinking about placing a small piece of that wiring protective cover, that is split down the middle, over the tube to prevent rubbing. When there is tension on the cable it rise away from the vent line.
I addressed this with a 1/8" piece of plastic about 2" x 8.5" placed between the vent tube and the winch cable. I drilled holes in the corner of the plastic piece and wire tied it to the winch mount. Not the most elegant of solutions, but no mods to the General. Here is a pic from each side.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Cool. Maybe they have corrected this. A dealer told me to just wind it over the top instead of the bottom. I am going to do this.

·
Super Moderator
1,000 Posts
Coalbucket named this thread. :laugh:
Because the weather here sucks right now it is giving me time to look my machine over for potential issues that can be addressed before they become a problem. One owner already experienced radiator damage from a rock due to insufficient guarding around the radiator. I'm looking at a clearance issue between the winch cable and the front differential vent tube. This isn't a place to piss and moan about Polaris but a place to help each other get the most out of our machines.
I hope this will be useful.
Randy.
Is it possible to turn that 90 degree elbow 180 degrees to vent the other way?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have been using my plow quite a bit and even though I greased the roller the cable moving in and out pulling up the blade has worn a grove in the roller never happened with the rope style cable.
I got the ice of the driveway with the steel blade and this machine really plows some snow and it cut rite through the ice and actually graded the gravel driveway and never felt low on power.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts