Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a 23 general 4 xp about 2 months ago and I need to call the dealer to give him my list of add ons from Polaris. I live in minnesota so I’m curious if a heater makes sense for such a large machine? Would plan on the zip up upper doors for the colder weather. Also what type / brand of a front windshield do you like and why?

·
Registered
2022 General 4 1000 Ride Command Edition
137 Posts
Congratulations on your new machine!
Hope they can get it to you soon.

The polaris upper doors made a huge difference in the cold weather for our g4. We dont have a heater, but I was very surprised how warm just the upper doors,windshield and rear window can keep you. It makes riding at night in single digit temperatures very doable wearing basic cold weather gear (coat, hat, gloves). We made it through our first winter with the general without a heater pretty comfortably, but we are going to put one in for this coming winter, mostly for defrost, to help with the cab fogging up which is a problem with an enclosed cab in the cold weather and the rain. I imagine a vented windshield would help that.

We have the polaris lock and ride fixed glass and love it. It comes on and off in seconds, has a huge viewing area, and now that polaris has fixed the sliding down problem, it absolutely stays put, even with the extra weight of the polaris wiper. Speaking of which, i would strongly recommend a wiper even if only a manual one if you are getting a full windshield.

·
Registered
2019 rc
308 Posts
We ride every weekend all year, I can't tell you how nice it is to hop into the Gen after hiking around in the snow or rain and turn the heater on. Being able to ride back 20 miles in a T-shirt at 9:00 pm in 30deg. Is priceless!!

·
Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe/RC/Stage 4 RF
1,303 Posts
We have an inferno and love it...got it to keep the LnR windshield clear. If you do the Polaris wiper you will need to do the full sweep option as well, your passenger wont like it much id you dont. Also there is a delay circuit available and passenger side park. I dont care for that option though.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
We run Polaris heaters in our last 3 SxS's. There are others out there and way cheaper too that seem to work well for people.
Front windshield we run the Polaris glass 3 position flip up windshield in our last 3 units.
Rear window we run the Ryfab sliding rear glass window. Same in last 3 units too.

Reactions: deanrowski

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,813 Posts
In short...yes, you want the Polaris heater/defroster kit...installed by the dealer. Yes you want front and rear glass windshields. I've had the Polaris glass on mine since 2016. Doing just great.
They fit great. I think they are the best out there.
Pirate

·
Registered
2018 General deluxe ride command.
32 Posts
Ordered a 23 general 4 xp about 2 months ago and I need to call the dealer to give him my list of add ons from Polaris. I live in minnesota so I’m curious if a heater makes sense for such a large machine? Would plan on the zip up upper doors for the colder weather. Also what type / brand of a front windshield do you like and why?
Yes a heater is a must. I'm in Michigan we really use the heater. Keeps the windows clear and also have dash and foot vents. The foot vents really help as you will find out that the General has lots of cold air coming from the firewall. I have almost found and sealed all the air leaks. I have the Enferno heater and installed it myself but if I had the money I'd of went with the Polaris heater for the temp and speed control. Now my heater will kick you out with heat in the coldest temps but being able to turn in down might be nice. We just crack a vent or window.

·
Registered
2022 General 1000 XP4
13 Posts
I live in AZ and installed the heater and me and the wife love having it. It's the Inferno heater with the ducts for defrost and the center console rotating ducts for the floor board area and just a low and high fan speed. I've had the rig out on our land in NM at 7200' elevation on snowy nights with temps in the teens with only a front and rear windshield and it worked just fine. That's not to say that a couple pulls off the flask didn't help with my core temp :)

Even the trail rides in AZ can get a little chilly during fall and winter months especially at altitude.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In short...yes, you want the Polaris heater/defroster kit...installed by the dealer. Yes you want front and rear glass windshields. I've had the Polaris glass on mine since 2016. Doing just great.
They fit great. I think they are the best out there.
Pirate
Hi Pirate--also thinking about getting the Polaris heater installed but the wife is worried that the heater will make summer riding even hotter than it currently is even with the heater shut off.. Have you noticed this? I see the core is located right above the passengers feet.

·
Registered
2022 general xp4 RC ghost white
298 Posts
Hi Pirate--also thinking about getting the Polaris heater installed but the wife is worried that the heater will make summer riding even hotter than it currently is even with the heater shut off.. Have you noticed this? I see the core is located right above the passengers feet.
I have the polaris heater in mine have no complaints about heat in the cab

·
Registered
2019 G2 Premium
13 Posts
I have the Polaris heater and have no issues with additional heat in the cab in the summer. I do not think it makes summer riding hotter.

Agreed the heater and defrost vents are essential in winter if fully enclosed with the upper doors. I have the Polaris uppers. Be aware the General needs to "warm up" when using the heater. If you are driving 30 seconds to the mailbox or 1 minute to the fishing shanty or deer blind it won't have much impact. But for early spring, late fall & winter trail riding it is incredible - worth every penny.

Also agree on adding a wiper. I have the Polaris wiper - and added the full swipe and passenger park option (thanks Dennis). I'm 6-1 so the wiper sat in my field of view. But now doesn't bother my 5-6 wife or me when on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe/RC/Stage 4 RF
1,303 Posts
I have the Polaris heater and have no issues with additional heat in the cab in the summer. I do not think it makes summer riding hotter.

Agreed the heater and defrost vents are essential in winter if fully enclosed with the upper doors. I have the Polaris uppers. Be aware the General needs to "warm up" when using the heater. If you are driving 30 seconds to the mailbox or 1 minute to the fishing shanty or deer blind it won't have much impact. But for early spring, late fall & winter trail riding it is incredible - worth every penny.

Also agree on adding a wiper. I have the Polaris wiper - and added the full swipe and passenger park option (thanks Dennis). I'm 6-1 so the wiper sat in my field of view. But now doesn't bother my 5-6 wife or me when on the passenger side.
You skipped the delay circuit? I like that the best!

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
1,110 Posts
Heat is great, BUT only if you have front/rear windsheild and upper doors. Without either of them, you might as well skip the heat. There's just plainly too much air flow for the heat to make ant real difference. Combine all three (heat,windsheilds and uppers) and it's dangerous close to your car. Comfy...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
@Steve72
You turn the heat all the way off on the Polaris heater and you won't notice any added heat.

·
Registered
2018 General deluxe ride command.
32 Posts
I never received my heater valve from Inferno. Its the valve that shuts the water down that runs to the heater. I feel no heat unless you hit the fan switch. That being said I do like the heater location on where it picks up it hot water. It takes it from the oil cooler so the heat is almost instant not much warm up at all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the Polaris wiper - and added the full swipe and passenger park option (thanks
The dealer installed the electric front wiper blade setup. The blade is quite short and doesn't really clear much for the passenger. What is the "full swipe" that you mentioned? Just a longer blade? Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've owned two Generals now (2018 Hero Edition 2 seat and 2022 TLD 4 seat) and I had the Polaris heater, Polaris flip out glass windshield, and Polaris rear glass in both. I ride all year here in Colorado and Utah and I believe that those items are an absolute must. It allows for much more pleasurable riding anytime of year. I had the Seizmik door uppers on the 2018 and now have the Polaris door uppers on the 2022. In conjunction with the heat and glass you can ride in any temp at any time of year. We also use ours to hunt out of so it's important to be able to use it Fall/Winter. As mentioned above, the Polaris heater doesn't add heat to the cab when it's off but if you run an Inferno heater you will need the valve to shut it off when not in use. Found that out because I was riding the Alpine Loop with a friend last week in his 2020. The other option that I have installed is heated seats. It's a great (and cheap) way to offer heat for those who need it while keeping the rest from sweating to death. The install isn't fun but worth it in the end.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts