Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having purchased some light bars and other accessories, I was looking for the illuminated and engraved rocker switches for turning all my accessories on and off. I was shocked to learn that US and Canadian retailers are charging $12-$50 each for these switches. I purchased 5 of these switches off of EBay for $12 US. They were coming from China so it took a couple of weeks but... I would much rather support local and do so as much as I can but when you are faced with paying 5-25 times the cost it's very difficult

·
Registered
781 Posts
If you have a pulse bar under your hood these are the connectors that work

These are the wiring harnesses with relays that I used

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there is an existing connector for a reverse lighting circuit? Is this present on the 2016 General as well? Or is this something that is only on the newer models?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Did you get them engraved with graphics for each accessory?

I've only got one, but its for charging my GoPro and its wireless remote...So I paid whatever to get what I wanted on the switch and what I wanted for colors.

How about posting a pic of your switches.

Thanks

Pirate

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pirate,

Virtually any and all iterations are there for you to choose from. I don't think there was one for your Go Pro though. I have ordered a combination dual USB port and digital voltmeter for the last switch space.. As requested here is a picture of switches

20200801_180301.jpg

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Thanks Quantum866,

Here is the switch panel on my machine and the GoPro charging switch I had made:

Here's the reason. Having made contact with GoPro, the cameras are designed to work with a battery only. When depleted, put another battery in the camera and the depleted battery in the 120V charger. Ummm....I don't want to carry a bunch of batteries and wonder when one will run down. So I connected a USB C cable to the camera and to a USB port. Keeping the Camera and Smart Remote fully charged all the time. Nope, the Camera battery gets to 100% charge and the camera freezes. Have to pull the battery out a bit, then shove it back in and camera works again.
Smart Remote freezes at 100% charge. So unplug the charging cable, and when the battery runs down a bit, the remote will begin to function again. But how to keep track of where the battery charge is? It was a guess as it's impossible to keep the backscreen 100% brightness and the remote? Who knows.
The next bit of learning was that neither the camera or the remote have "charge controller" circuitry built in. So nothing to keep the batteries from overcharging. Hmmm...kept trying, kept having things freeze. One day I was surfing the internet and tripped over these, a USB C cable with a charge controller built in:
Auto Cut-off Fast Charging Nylon Cable

Not bad for $12.97 each. I have one run up to the camera and one over to the Smart Remote. Still testing some, but seems to keep both camera and remote charged and working.
The switch is wired HOT off my Terminal Blocks and allows me to charge both anytime I like.

Just one of those learning opportunities...

Pirate

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
What is the length of these cables Pirate?

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Thirty six inch length.

For more length, up to the camera, I needed an extension cable. None of my worked. So I went on Amazon and bought two of these:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cable-Male-Female/dp/B00NH11R3I/ref=sxin_9_pb?crid=Z3ARQX9GVPDE&cv_ct_cx=usb+extension+cable&dchild=1&keywords=usb+extension+cable&pd_rd_i=B00NH11R3I&pd_rd_r=17dd9a2e-c4b4-46ee-8f32-931cbbd53d1d&pd_rd_w=i9blN&pd_rd_wg=NlwOr&pf_rd_p=637c1b37-abd1-4cb6-a8e7-ff32d038d214&pf_rd_r=XF6P1WM2FSG276D1WQ38&qid=1596384601&sprefix=USB,aps,203&sr=1-3-8065ff8c-2587-4a7f-b8da-1df8b2563c11
They are a high quality extension cable and work fine. I cover the joints with a layer of electrical tape to keep moisture out.

Now, one thing I learned the hard way. If you have juice to a USB C cable end...you must cover the end with one of the very small ziploc bags that come with accessories.
Cuz if the end gets water in it...it will short and melt things.

Pirate

1 - 8 of 8 Posts