Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum Members,

I just registered an account here in Colorado. I've never even ridden in a side by side, but I've got the bug. They just look like they would be lots of fun for trail riding, camping and big game hunting. I'm looking at the new General XP 1000 2 seat model. They are pricey, but I like the big tires and epic ground clearance. There are lots of accessory options. I could really use some advice from experienced UTV owners. Some of my questions include:

1. Glass or poly windshield, no windshield, half windshield, ventilated windshield, etc?
2. Rear windshield or nothing?
3. Ride command worth it?
4. Stage 4 speaker system or a heater? I guess you can't have both in this model. Probably won't use it much in the winter.
5. Additional light bar on roof?
6. Rock sliders (Kick Out Nerf Bar)?

And then I've also started looking at various trailers. I think I'll go aluminum, despite the cost, because I don't want to deal with rust. The trailer will probably be exposed to the elements in storage.

7. Level trailer with tail gate ramp or tilting type of trailer? I think there are similar priced models from Aluma in both versions.

And of course, any other advice you'd like to share! Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Having purchased my two seat General 2019 Ride Command in July which is my first UTV coming from the ATV's for many years my advise would be to negotiate final price with the Polaris options installed that you want. I called around to a couple of Polaris Dealers to get prices for Lock & Ride Glass front and Rear and then negotiated the final cost with the selling Dealership. Also, I asked if they would discount all Polaris Parts and Lubricants after purchase and they agreed to give me a 15% discount. I didn't buy the extended warranty but that too should be considered as negotiable.

As for Ride Command personally I like that feature. The sound bar not so much but that's the way the Ride command is packaged.
Glass, yes get the Rear Glass as you can read on the forum and from what the Dealer told me dust won't be as bad coming into the Cab with the Rear Glass. That's why I like the Lock & Ride Feature. You don't want the Glass just remove it.

Trailer: I had open trailer with my ATV's and was always concerned about thief of parts and gear while parked unattended and for that purpose I went with a Enclosed Side x Side Mirage Model in 16ft. More cost, but some peace of mind if I pull into a Store Parking lot, Camping Spot, Rest Stop overnight that my Gear is locked up.

Decisions, decisions, but as a first time UTV buyer think about your purchase so the regrets are fewer. Just my .02

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hello Forum Members,

I just registered an account here in Colorado. I've never even ridden in a side by side, but I've got the bug. They just look like they would be lots of fun for trail riding, camping and big game hunting. I'm looking at the new General XP 1000 2 seat model. They are pricey, but I like the big tires and epic ground clearance. There are lots of accessory options. I could really use some advice from experienced UTV owners. Some of my questions include:

1. Glass or poly windshield, no windshield, half windshield, ventilated windshield, etc?
Glass, Glass, Glass. Easy to clean and no scratching.

I went with nothing on mine. I didn't have an issue with dust with a vented windshield from Ryfab.

No comment, didn't have it, not sure of the purpose.

4. Stage 4 speaker system or a heater? I guess you can't have both in this model. Probably won't use it much in the winter.
Heater! You are in Colorado. It gets cold.

Personal choice. I ran mine on the front bumper to keep it out of the trees. 12" bar was plenty of light.

Flush fitting rock sliders are a must have in Colorado. You will beat the crap out of your rocker panels without them.

And then I've also started looking at various trailers. I think I'll go aluminum, despite the cost, because I don't want to deal with rust. The trailer will probably be exposed to the elements in storage.

7. Level trailer with tail gate ramp or tilting type of trailer? I think there are similar priced models from Aluma in both versions.
Aluminum is tough to beat if it fits your budget. I would take the fold down ramp all day long.

And of course, any other advice you'd like to share! Thanks!
If you aren't broke yet, you will be by the time this group gets done with you. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
If i remember right a member from Canada bought an XP with ride command and he wanted the heater. He said they took out the sub woofer and then they could install the heater. Hopefully he will chime in here.
We have the glass 3 position Polaris tip out windshield and wouldn't have anything else.
We have the Ryfab rear glass slider and also wouldn't be without.
Have the Polaris heater and wouldn't be without that either as we ride or putz around all year.
We to have enclosed trailers as don't want people seeing what we have. Out of sight, out of mind so to speak. If getting open trailer get a ramp as tilt beds can be quite slippery when wet, snowy, or icy.
If going enclosed get a 8-8.5 wide and make sure you get the extra height so it can fit in through the rear ramp door.
We have a 10'' or 12'' front bumper mount light bar and a top mounted light bar. They are both Black Oak. One would do and in fact the small one on the front of our Vendetta Viper front bumper/cow catcher is plenty. Wouldn't need both and don't use both at once. Alternator only good for so much especially if using heater too.
We like our radio and we like our ride command.
All the above are personal choices as everyone is different.
If anything we can help you with just ask. We have all been down this trail ourselves and some of us have been there many times!
Good luck and get the one you really want so you won't be disappointed in the future or have to trade right away.
We like the new XP also and will be trading in a year or two i am guessing. We have a 17 Ride Command G2 now.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My wife and I just recently purchased the 2020 General XP 1000 4 RC. We love it. It is way more machine than we had before. I like the ride command because I am a gadget guy. I like the stage 4 sound and since we're in Texas we don't need a heater. I believe polaris has a 10" sub box that goes under the seat of the ranger, that might work with the general. We just installed a glass windshield from sXswindshields.com. Made is the USA with an alluminum frame. I went with it due to the replace ability factor. Its a smaller flat windshield that if broken, can easilybe replaced by a window shop. Things we plan on are front and rear bumpers, rock sliders, rear window, front and rear light bars, and last but not least at all, rollers in secondary. The xp already has everything else I was going to do: 30" tires, 15" wheels, high clearance offset a arms, long travel suspension. It's everything we wanted and more and we are glad we went all in and git exactly what we wanted. Most likely will be the last machine I buy. Spend all you can to make it your own and save enough for riding. After all, that's why we do it. From mountain trails to the baja peninsula and everything in between, just ride your style.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Welcome to the site. I went with the XP 4seat without the ride command, didn't feel that I needed it. The heater would be better for your neck of the woods and hunting in cold weather. I am also a hunter and will install a heater in the future. I was an ATV guy for years and moved up to a RZR800 trail and only had a half windshield on it with no back window. So getting the general, I went with a hard coat poly windshield due to the fact the down here in El Paso, lots of gravel roads and it would be too easy to bust out the glass.
Lights, I went with a 42inch single row just above the windshield, wanted the clearance above the roof. Also put a 12" on the bumper and some 4" on the pillars. I kinda have light issues. I plan to go with the factory UTV skid plate and rock guards. Its what I put on my RZR and never looked back. As ChadW mentioned the HW secondary rollers are a must, I had 88 miles when I installed and scaring had already started.
As for the trailer, I have a 6.5x14 single axle trailer that I have had for a while that I used to haul two sportsmen on. I flipped the axle, added a 2" drop shackle that gave it a 6" lift and run 33" tires. The general has no problem loading on it with the ramp gate and there is no issues with high centering or dragging the trailer in the mountains. It pretty much will follow the truck anywhere. I have been eyeballing this trailer and its made in Co
https://www.completetrailers.com/trailer/superstructurecargo-2-2-2/
It would be great for keeping the General secure and locked up for any distance travel.
Good luck with you new disease!

·
Registered
133 Posts
another texan, so no heater.

the engine sound is my music, so can't comment there.

we ride with helmets and comms, so windshield isn't a thing for me.

still working on my gps system. i think i have decided on going the tablet route. long time fan of gramin, but want the bigger screen. and it seems depending on where you ride the best maps are on different apps. you can even run the ride command on the tablet if you want.

rock sliders are a must. some can be a pain to install, so working that into the deal might be to your favor.

i can say that for a trailer, i would give up some of the accessories for an enclosed trailer. will never again not have one. not only does the rig go in there, but all the gear. nothing flies out going down the road. everything is clean and dry. when you stop somewhere you don't have to post up to watch the trailer to make sure nothing walks off. and what was said earlier, go the 8.5 wide and over 6ft opening. i would not go shorter 20ft and at minimuim 5200# axles. i know that is more than needed, but the extra room is nice. also, think of the resale of the trailer. anything under 20ft is hard to fit a car into. try to find a used 8.5 wide trailer and you will see what i mean.

at first i didn't think i would need additional lights. we don't generally night ride and don't ride fast. after my first ride, i need more lights. nothing crazy, just more lights. factory lights suck. thinking a good pair of cubes with spot / flood combo will be perfect. factory lights don't throw enough to the sides for corners. a light on the back for backing up and dome light is on the list.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Regarding spending, sky is the limit or when your significant other starts hitting you with a big stick.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Here is what a cheap, $25 12" light bar can do for you.

OEM headlights only

OEM plus 12" light bar

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Pure Polaris full glass windshield, but to help you go broke...get the Pure Polaris wiper/washer kit (and have the dealer install the kit)
Pure Polaris glass rear windshield. Keeps the dust down and the rain out!
No comment, but it takes up space that could be used for a tablet mount with Back Country Navigator and/or Avenza maps
My 2016 Deluxe came with the Polaris stereo system...worthless...replacing roof, may just leave it out. Get a Rugged Radio intercom with iPod port much better sound!
Get LED headlight bulbs and forget the light bar. You won't need it.
Polaris low profile rocksliders are great, two-piece fastener you put in the frame are worthless. Get six Houser Racing fasteners and problem is gone. Post coming soon.

Now, onto the other things you need right off the bat!!

Factory UTV 3/8" UHMW skid plate set. Install with Rivet Nuts (my post on install is on this forum)

Pure Polaris Heater/Defroster kit. Lots of plumbing, let the dealer do the install. you won't need upper doors

SuperATV high clearance A-arms

DuraClutch kit

Send your shocks to Shock Therapy Suspension Tuning and have their RIS II work done. Best ride ever.

And that's just for starters.

Pirate

·
Registered
574 Posts
Solid advice by all on this thread
My two pesos (or more)
1. Pay close attention to who’s posting and where they’re from and what types of terrain they ride. Many of them post their thoughts based on their valuable experience.
2. The first thing I picked up on your original post was you have no sxs experience. This advice is based on my fifty years experience in Off roading and is worth a jillion pesos.
Here we go:
Drive your rig to “your ability” not the rig’s ability. So many times noobies go out and “try to” run with the pack and disaster happens. Remember you’re not racing, it’s supposed to be fun, so drive at the pace you’re comfortable, no shame in being last in the group and if they’re good buddies, they’ll wait for you.
3. Another jillion pesos, save your drinking for the end of the day, I’ve seen a bunch of “liquid courage” accidents and they ain’t pretty.
4. Don’t go alone
5. Be prepared. Common sense items: first aid kit, radio or satellite phone and in some areas cell phone. Look into a satellite tracker like SPOT, water, food (Cliff bars are small and will get you by in a pinch) paper maps, rain ponchos( cheapies work in a pinch)
Now on to the “Two Pesos Worth”
Windshields
Front and rear, with no rear the dust circles back into the cab. Glass? Plexiglas? Again refer to the previous posts for guidance. My rig is the Polaris glass one that tilts out. It’s ok but you need to locktite all the hardware.
Ride Command
My buddy down the street has it on his RZR. The map software doesn’t work in Mexico and over 25 mph the stereo is useless. My rig, gen 3 IPad with LeadNav, Rugged Radio Intercom and 50 watt radio. No speakers, helmets with buds and mic. Again some guys love the Ride Command so it’s up to you

Shocks
Buy the base model, throw the shocks away and put Fox RC2 Shocks with dual rate springs set up by Shock Therapy or buy the fancy model and send the Fox shocks out to Shock Therapy for springs and rework. Either way it’s a game changer and will make your ride quality 100% better as well as the handling will improve a ton ie more fun and safer.

The rest of the stuff is subjective to what types of terrain you ride.

Good luck, be safe and have a Merry Christmas

Cheers
Baja Charlie

·
Registered
52 Posts
XrayDoc,

I live in Utah and go big game hunting, camping. I even go to your state on occasion for deer and elk.
We just upgraded this year from a 2008 Yamaha Rhino. Bought a 2016 G2 with 1200 miles on it. We love it.

Now I have the bug!! I want to upgrade it or go with a 2020 XP G2. I think I have the wife talked into it.

1. Glass or poly windshield, no windshield, half windshield, ventilated windshield, etc? We have the Polaris Tip out windshield, It is expensive. It's also very handy. Cold mornings closed, as it warms just open it up from your drivers set. I will pay for one on a new ride!!
2. Rear windshield or nothing? As mentioned above, the dust will suck into the cab if riding with windshield in place. We have Polaris Poly, I don't care much for it. Need to upgrade to a Ryfab sliding rear.
3. Ride command worth it? I will not pay for it. I can find my way back to camp.
We have the heater, we have a place at 8000ft we spend most weekends there all summer. As the sun sets you know how it cools. Nothing better than closing the windshield up and turning on some heat. Your wife will love you for it. I will have the upper doors also. You now when your hunting and a storm blows in. I guess im getting older but, when I get back to the buggy and I have a 30 min ride to camp, I want to get warm not wetter and colder doing it.
5. Additional light bar on roof? Should be good with the LED headlights. But I would like a light bar also.
6. Rock sliders (Kick Out Nerf Bar)? The Polaris rock slides will not fit the XP unless you slightly mod them. You should have something to protect the G2.

My 2 cents worth.
Muz

·
Registered
658 Posts
I keep reading over and over that if you run a windshield without a rear window you can't keep the dust out of the cab. That isn't really true. It depends on the windshield. If you get one with proper venting it will break the suction that draws dust in. The Ryfab folding glass windshield that I ran has the proper venting and, if it's too hot out, the windshield will fold down and securely pin down. Zero rattles and mechanically secured when folded down. You get the best of all worlds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for all the great ideas. I truly am going broke. :frown2:

Does it only make sense to buy a heater if you have a fully enclosed cab? I think I'll get front and rear glass, but wasn't planning on sealing up the sides.

More than one post has mentioned the Ryfab rear slider. Is there something wrong with getting Polaris rear glass?

The new General XP comes with Walker Evans shocks. Are those likely to be better, or do serious riders still get after market shock work done?

Finally, what's this about needing "HW rollers"? Does this has something to do with the front and rear clutches and the belt?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thank you for all the great ideas. I truly am going broke. :frown2:

Does it only make sense to buy a heater if you have a fully enclosed cab? I think I'll get front and rear glass, but wasn't planning on sealing up the sides.

More than one post has mentioned the Ryfab rear slider. Is there something wrong with getting Polaris rear glass?

The new General XP comes with Walker Evans shocks. Are those likely to be better, or do serious riders still get after market shock work done?

Finally, what's this about needing "HW rollers"? Does this has something to do with the front and rear clutches and the belt?

As Far as the shocks go, I am very pleased with the ride on the XP. I think the upgrade/aftermarket will get you to where the walker evens are at, they might be better but how much? Polaris got it right with the XPs 14" long travel suspension. I am very impressed with how this machine floats over bumpy roads. So has everyone that has ridden in it.
The Hunter works rollers fix an inherent problem in the secondary clutch with the square pucks. The square pucks get dust and dirt imbedded in them and then abrasion and gouging start and eventually your secondary clutch is trash. I installed them with 88miles on my machine and slight damage had already started. The sooner they are installed the better. its not a matter of IF its a matter of WHEN. the rollers are a $65 insurance policy for the health of your secondary clutch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder why Polaris hasn't instituted the roller fix if this is a widespread problem. Do you think it could be a patent thing? It sounds like the fix is worth it, but would it void any Polaris warranty?

·
Registered
138 Posts
So many great money spending ideas to consider.
So I'll give a couple not mentioned to make things loading and unloading more enjoyable.
Gorrillalift and HappiJack.
Gorrillalift allows one person with 1 finger to raise and lower the heavy ramp! It's wonderous. Happijac allows you to take the jack off your trailer after hitched so you don't need to worry about tailgate crashing down on jack handle. OR driving offroad and dragging the jack wheel or plate. Also added security as nobody can disconnect trailer easily from truck as there is no jack to use or rest on.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts