·
Registered
200 Posts
Polaris manual also states this while operating the General:

"Always wear a helmet, eye protection, gloves, long-sleeve shirt, long pants
and over-the-ankle boots."

Do you adhere to this as well?
That’s just great.
Now I have to sell my General, because I refuse to wear long-sleeve shirts. But until then… I’ll drive my General in turf-mode when I’m on rural roads. I’m just a rebel that way.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Turf mode is to be switched on only when you do not want to tear up grassy areas, or when you are about to make a tight turn on pavement. It is to be used sparingly and is why so many folks end up frying their machine. Call Polaris and this is exactly what they say. Good luck to all and good day.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You mean like a paved road?
Operate in Turf Mode only as needed to protect smooth, level surfaces (like grass) from tire damage. Use Turf Mode when making tight turns on blacktop or paved roads where tire slippage may occur. Do not operate in Turf Mode when climbing or descending hills, when sidehilling or when operating on uneven, loose or slippery terrain such as gravel, ice, snow, obstacles and water crossings. Operating in Turf Mode when on sloped, uneven or loose terrain could cause loss of control and result in serious injury or death. One rear wheel may slip and lose traction or may lift up and grab when it touches the ground again. Always operate in AWD on these types of terrain.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think what Polaris means is that those folks who don't really know how to operate a sxs should never use Turf mode because if a wheel started to spin it could cause the operator to panic and lose control therefor crashing and if all of the recommended safety equipment, helmet, long pants, gloves etc weren't being utilized then that operator could suffer a terrible road rash on their extremities.

·
Registered
2022 G4 XP Ride Command Black
21 Posts
Operate in Turf Mode only as needed to protect smooth, level surfaces (like grass) from tire damage. Use Turf Mode when making tight turns on blacktop or paved roads where tire slippage may occur. Do not operate in Turf Mode when climbing or descending hills, when sidehilling or when operating on uneven, loose or slippery terrain such as gravel, ice, snow, obstacles and water crossings. Operating in Turf Mode when on sloped, uneven or loose terrain could cause loss of control and result in serious injury or death. One rear wheel may slip and lose traction or may lift up and grab when it touches the ground again. Always operate in AWD on these types of terrain.
I am now convinced the San TanMan works for Polaris... Maybe in the safety compliance dept.?

Or maybe he wrote that portion of the Operation Manual and he wants to make sure everyone follows his advice, it is great advice for the person who is buying his or her or they or them (not sure these days) first off road vehicle and they have NO off road experience.

If you fall into this category by all means follow San TanMan advice that comes directly from the Polaris operations manual.

I look at it like this,Turf mode, 2 wheel, and drive 4 wheel drive switch is like a manual transmission 1st 2nd and 3rd gear.

As you drive a manual transmission you have to decide which gear is best for the speed and conditions at what you are driving and you change gears often as you drive.

In the General I decide based on the Terrain and the conditions what mode his best for me and I change mode often as I drive.

I did an informal survey of people I know and ride with who drive the general with Turf mode and the majority stay in Turf mode until conditions warrant otherwise.

To each his own

Happy Trails
Tom

·
Registered
2018 Polaris General 1000 Deluxe
361 Posts
...and the majority stay in Turf mode until conditions warrant otherwise.
Yep, that's how I operate mine. I use it around my property every day, and it stays in Turf Mode all the time, unless I need to switch to 4WD. Grass, sand, pavement, no issues so far. 🤞

·
Registered
2020XP4
2,218 Posts
It is to be used sparingly and is why so many folks end up frying their machine. Call Polaris and this is exactly what they say.
BULLSH!T!

Polaris wouldn't recall the 17&18 MY machines that were the biggest culprits for turf mode failure. They would not admit that there was a problem. I had a turf mode failure in my 18. I used it "sparingly" for fear of the failure that they were prone for. Didn't stop it from failing. The new differential is a much better design and more robust. There are still failures but few and far between. Regardless, the fact remains, this is just an open differential with a locker. Like in many many many trucks and jeeps. All driven on pavement daily in "turf mode" without failure.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Make sure when switching out of turf mode and back into turf mode, you come to a complete stop before hitting the switch.

Reactions: Renob4x4

·
Registered
21 Posts
Make sure when switching out of turf mode and back into turf mode, you come to a complete stop before hitting the switch.
Johnny I have not heard this before could you explain it further?

In the 12 years that I've been using Turf mode both on my RZR 800 and now on my general I have never come to a complete stop to switch in or out of Turf mode.

The way it was explained to me is that if you are in the gas when you hit the switch it won't actually engage or disengage until you let off the gas.

As I understand it there's a fork inside of the differential that moves back and forth to engage the coupler, if there is pressure on the fork it won't move, pressure is from forward acceleration the minute you let off the gas pedal that pressure is released allowing that fork to slide up or down engaging or disengaging the turf mode.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@SanTanMan, You're still riding this old horse?
Why is the function and intended use of an open differential so cryptic to you?
I agree with Reno but sometimes I forget that forums are a platform for gathering information and learning more about new subjects. We don't all have the same off-road experience.

Some people may be reading this forum because they just bought their first off-road vehicle and they're looking for advice. As for myself I have nearly 50 years of off-road experience, in 1973 I learned how to drive a 1942 Willys Jeep in the back woods of Minnesota and have been driving some form of off-road vehicle in all different types of terrain including sand, desert, Sierra Mountain Granite trails, and of course the Backwoods of Minnesota, ever since.

We all have our own opinions and sometimes in those opinions are facts, we sometimes forget what the experience level of the different Forum members are and it is up to the reader to discern the information and decide what they want to do with that information.

By all means if you are new to the sport and do not have much if any off-road experience please read the Polaris operations manual cover to cover and follow the information the Polaris gives you in the manual. Doing so will keep you and your machine as safe as possible.

As you become more familiar with the sport and you become more comfortable with your machine and how it operates on the different terrain you may find yourself deviating from what the operation manual tells you to do.

Also I was not aware of the fact that Polaris was having trouble with the differentials in 17 and 18 and that could further explain their importance on telling you to only drive in Turf mode on turf.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I have done the same but I usually come to a complete stop. Better safe than sorry i guess.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Man!!!! What a post!! Thanks to all for your great insight. Here’s my two pesos worth:

• Bought my 2017
  • Trailered to mi Casa (my house)
  • Parked it in my garage
  • Went into house and grabbed an ice cold ***** Modelo (Mexican beer) and back to the garage
  • Unplugged all the Turd (Turf mode) wires
  • Sealed all the connectors with Silicone and taped them with Scotch 88
  • End of my story
So you’re thinking why Baja did you do this?
Well amigos I peaked into this forum before I sold my RZR XP 1000 and there a bunch of posts complaining about Turd mode. Further investigation revealed the new General had a potential weak spot....ie Turd mode. The more I read about Turd mode I really didn’t want it.
Why??
The only Turf we have down here is harvested, packaged and smuggled to the US for all you North Americanos to smoke. JUST kidding !!!
My take on this post is, if you like Turf mode, use it, if you don’t like Turf mode, don’t use it.
I got to go take my nap now, I guess that 53 years of off roading has made me a softy.

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Was told before that even if you unplug it, it can still be broke. That is on the older models anyway.
Don't know if true, just what I was told.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well…I have really enjoyed this thread and the pissing contest, but all you’ve done is confuse this lady. So here’s my take - we have an old 2007 Kawasaki Mule that has 2 wheel, 4 high and 4 low, and a separate lever for locking the differential. 99% of the time it’s in 2 high, but if I’m going up a hill and the grass is wet, or I’m climbing a gravel driveway, I stop and lock the diff. So I’m assuming what I’ve done is take it from “turf mode“ to true 2 wheel drive. I only use 4 high when in snow, and only once ever have j used 4 low (because Only once did I take it on a trail ride)

so that being said, I’m assuming I’ll leave the general in turf mode except for when I think the tires may spin, such as going up a gravel or wet hill, which in this case switch to 2WD. Which is the same thing as locking the diff. Only when I’m on snowy roads would I use AWD

Am i on the right track? Is this a fair comparison? Feel free to correct me, I dont let that bother me. 😆 I’m new to this (havent even got my G4 yet) and I def don’t have much off-roading experience

this buggy will be a grandma mobile 😄

41 - 60 of 63 Posts