Polaris General Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2022 G4 XP Ride Command Black
21 Posts
My dealer (largest in Arizona) said to leave it in two wheel mode and never use turf mode when on paved streets or off road (only use it on grass).
My dealer (largest in Arizona) said to leave it in two wheel mode and never use turf mode when on paved streets or off road (only use it on grass).
I added Turf mode to my RZR 800s 12 years ago, I've put / 9,500 miles on the RZR and eighty-five to ninety percent of those miles have been in turf mode both on and off pavement. I only switch to 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive when going up a hill or through a section of the trail that I know I might lose traction.

I would not have bought a general if it didn't have the turf mode.

Speed or terrain is not a factor with Turf mode

Most cars are in turf mode 100% of the time unless you physically switch them into four-wheel drive or they are equipped with all-wheel drive.

Am I missing something is there something different about the Polaris Generals unlocked rear differential?

Too bad the general can't come equipped with a posi track rear end

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sounds like bad advise to me. Here is Polaris's take on when to use what mode. They make no such statement about pavement. Off-Road Vehicle Drive System Basics | Polaris GENERAL
Negative.

Operate in Turf Mode only as needed to protect smooth, level surfaces from tire damage. Do not operate in Turf Mode when climbing or descending hills, when sidehilling or when operating on uneven, loose or slippery terrain such as gravel, ice, snow, obstacles and water crossings. Operating in Turf Mode when on sloped, uneven or loose terrain could cause loss of control and result in serious injury or death. One rear wheel may slip and lose traction or may lift up and grab when it touches the ground again. Always operate in AWD on these types of terrain.

TURF MODE IS NOT RECOMMENDED FULL TIME

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Negative.

Operate in Turf Mode only as needed to protect smooth, level surfaces from tire damage. Do not operate in Turf Mode when climbing or descending hills, when sidehilling or when operating on uneven, loose or slippery terrain such as gravel, ice, snow, obstacles and water crossings. Operating in Turf Mode when on sloped, uneven or loose terrain could cause loss of control and result in serious injury or death. One rear wheel may slip and lose traction or may lift up and grab when it touches the ground again. Always operate in AWD on these types of terrain.

TURF MODE IS NOT RECOMMENDED FULL TIME
I think you may be misunderstanding the function of an open differential.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
No, I am not misunderstanding it. I called Polaris directly, sent an Email to their VP of engineering and spoke to three different dealerships. Turf mode is not to be used full time. It is also noted in the Polaris link I posted above.
Good luck.
Not saying it should not be used "all the time" but it can be.

It should mainly be used when an open differential is desired:
• On grass you wish not to destroy.
• On dry pavement (blacktop/concrete/etc.)

The fact that you had to call/email someone about this, confirms to me that you do not fully understand it.

Good luck, back at you.

·
Registered
77 Posts

The fact that you had to call/email someone about this, confirms to me that you do not fully understand it.

Good luck, back at you.
Anything "can be used" whenever someone wants to do so. I simply confirmed with Polaris when "and when not" to use turf mode.

Read it again as it appears you have an attention deficit disorder or a lack of conversational comprehension.

READ IT AGAIN

·
Registered
2022 General 4 1000 Ride Command Edition
146 Posts
We love the turf mode in our 2022 G4. We we first got the vehicle we drove it a fair amount on the road. This was in 2 wheel lock. The tread on the rear dirt commanders started disappearing at an alarming rate. We now do all road riding in turf mode, and tire wear has slowed down immensely. It handles and turns on the street so smoothly while in turf mode. No problems with the system of any kind so far.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Good luck, back at you.
I'm with you. I don't want to turn this into a pissing match but of course if you call a manufacturer they're going to give you information on the safest way to use their product.

I think the "do not drive in Turf mode full time" is Polaris way of covering their ass.

It's to avoid some newbie taking his brand new machine off road for the first time and going up a hill or sidehill in Turf mode spinning out and having a tragedy happen.

I think the experienced off-roader or anyone with the basic knowledge of how a differential works can determine when it's appropriate to shift out of turf mode into 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.

I think the best thing to do is just getting to know your machine getting to know your capabilities being familiar with the terrain.

The other day I went to the gas station to fill up as I left the ditch on to the frontage road and to maneuver around the gas station I'm in turf mode, as I left the frontage road back into the ditch I needed to turn up hill to avoid i an obstacle my back wheels started to spin I stopped put it in 4-wheel drive kept going. no harm no foul

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Read it again
I not only fully understand the operation of this mode (without having to call someone) but also know when and when not to employ it.
it appears you have an attention deficit disorder or a lack of conversational comprehension.
This is possible, as I did attend public school.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The simple fact remains..

(Operate in Turf Mode only as needed to protect smooth, level surfaces from tire damage.)
I forgot to mention "that fact" that Polaris manufacturers the general for off-road use only , but they put the provisions for making it street legal by adding turn signals emergency flashers and a horn.

If I were to call Polaris and ask them what the turn signals are used for or when I should use them they would tell me for "trail riding" when you're about to make a turn on to another Trail.

Here in Minnesota it is legal to drive a side-by-side on County and Township roads. If I were to call Polaris and ask them if I can drive my General on a County Road in Minnesota they would tell me no it is for off-road use only, but if I call MnDOT and ask them if I can drive my Polaris General on a County Road they will tell me yes. So who do I believe.

Just like the Bible and its many interpretations anybody can interpret the operation manual anyway they want ,if somebody wants to take it as gospel that you can only drive in turf mode when you're on turf then so be it.

Everyone's profile should include the number of years they've been off roading and the type of experience they have and then we could get some type of reference of where they're coming from.

I'm not sure if San TanMan is a newbie with his first machine and he's getting all of his information from the operation manual, emailing the VP of engineering at Polaris and calling three dealerships or if he has 50 years of off-road experience such as myself. I don't want to come off as being a know-it-all, but I do know from 9500 miles of experience in my RZR when and when not to use the turf mode , and I will tell you it's not only " as needed to protect smooth, level surfaces from tire damage"

And I said I didn't want to get into a pissing match

·
Registered
77 Posts
I forgot to mention "that fact" that Polaris manufacturers the general for off-road use only , but they put the provisions for making it street legal by adding turn signals emergency flashers and a horn.

If I were to call Polaris and ask them what the turn signals are used for or when I should use them they would tell me for "trail riding" when you're about to make a turn on to another Trail.

Here in Minnesota it is legal to drive a side-by-side on County and Township roads. If I were to call Polaris and ask them if I can drive my General on a County Road in Minnesota they would tell me no it is for off-road use only, but if I call MnDOT and ask them if I can drive my Polaris General on a County Road they will tell me yes. So who do I believe.

Just like the Bible and its many interpretations anybody can interpret the operation manual anyway they want ,if somebody wants to take it as gospel that you can only drive in turf mode when you're on turf then so be it.

Everyone's profile should include the number of years they've been off roading and the type of experience they have and then we could get some type of reference of where they're coming from.

I'm not sure if San TanMan is a newbie with his first machine and he's getting all of his information from the operation manual, emailing the VP of engineering at Polaris and calling three dealerships or if he has 50 years of off-road experience such as myself. I don't want to come off as being a know-it-all, but I do know from 9500 miles of experience in my RZR when and when not to use the turf mode , and I will tell you it's not only " as needed to protect smooth, level surfaces from tire damage"

And I said I didn't want to get into a pissing match
I have owned a Polaris the last 20+ years.

You should get a job with Polaris since you seem to know more than they do on the topic. Maybe you can re-write the owners manual and get a gold plaque at the year end appreciation dinner. lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have owned a Polaris the last 20+ years.

You should get a job with Polaris since you seem to know more than they do on the topic. Maybe you can re-write the owners manual and get a gold plaque at the year end appreciation dinner. lol.
And this is what I meant by a pissing match oh, but I'll go one more round.

Of those 20 plus years of experience driving a Polaris vehicle how many of those years or miles have been in a vehicle with an unlocking differential or as Polaris calls it Turf mode.

And the only reason I ask is because you keep reposting excerpts from the operations manual and I'm coming at it from the standpoint a real world experience. I don't know if you read my earlier post that mentioned I put an unlocking differential in my RZR 800. That entailed buying a whole new differential, the solenoid that physically engaged the turf mode and I had to buy an aftermarket circuit board, program it to control the selenoid and I had to wire it all up to a switch on the dash. And then Drive said vehicle for nearly 10,000 miles in all kinds of terrain ranging from the sand dunes at the beach to the sand dunes at Glamis to the desert of Mojave and the Western and Eastern Sierra mountains along with trail riding in Minnesota. And I have also driven through the state of Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and Oregon "Yes the Trans America Trail" on my RZR.

If I were to rewrite the operations manual for Polaris I would still have to include the gobbledygook about the turf mode. Because Polaris position is the general is an off-road only vehicle and all of their propaganda has to support that.

The general comes equipped to add a street legal kit turn signals emergency flasher and Horn. If I emailed the VP of engineering or called 3 dealerships and ask them about the operation of the turn signals they would tell me that they are to be used on the trail to indicate when you're turning on to the next Trail.

Here in Minnesota it's legal to drive a side-by-side on County or Township roads, if I were to call Polaris and ask them if I can drive my General on a County Road they would tell me no, if I were to call MnDOT and ask them if I can drive my General on a County Road they would tell me yes. Then who do I believe.

I guess we all have different riding styles I drive primarily in Turf mode some people drive primarily in four-wheel drive, I drive primarily in high range some people drive primarily in low range. And I guess some people's riding Styles change as they get more familiar with their machine their abilities and the terrain.

Happy trails Tom

21 - 40 of 63 Posts