Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share my story of the acquisition of our new General XP Deluxe. So I have been doing the Internet Jig researching the huge number of choices for a new Side by Side. I wanted something with some work capability, like mounting my spray tank, taking tools and garbage cans back and forth etc. Nothing to demanding. But one big item for me was Turf Mode. I drive a lot on paved roads in our rural development. Our current Razor has been serving me well for years but I always cringe a little when taking turns and dragging one tire. I can feel the axles winding up and unloading with a chirp. Never had one break but still.... its hard on the machine, the tires, and the road. It turns out that Turf Mode was a big eliminator when looking at what Side by Sides are on the market. Yamaha is out, so is Kawasaki. It boiled down to several Polaris models, Can Am, and the Honda Pioneer 1000. I'll just go look at all these and choose the one I want. Ya.... Right. Not in this day and age. So I sat and waited for Fate to guide my choice. It did not disappoint. I was looking on Craigs list when I noticed a dealer about 2 1/2 hours away had an add for a General XP Deluxe and a Ranger XP. I called to verify they really had these machines (which they did) and I had to choose. Looked at the Wife and got the nod for the General. "I'll Take it." What a nice machine ! Initial Impressions are Wow on comfort. Suspension is very plush, more then our RZR ,which also has Walker Evans shocks. I can tell reverse gear has been changed, much smoother, less jerky then the razor, think its gear driven now not chain. Seats belong in a nice SUV. very comfortable. Radio is new to me in a Side by Side. Its ok, but I can't figure out how to turn it off. Have to do some reading. Now getting Farkles on order. Rear Windscreen, Mirrors and turn signals. Looking forward to getting to know it better.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thought I would share my story of the acquisition of our new General XP Deluxe. So I have been doing the Internet Jig researching the huge number of choices for a new Side by Side. I wanted something with some work capability, like mounting my spray tank, taking tools and garbage cans back and forth etc. Nothing to demanding. But one big item for me was Turf Mode. I drive a lot on paved roads in our rural development. Our current Razor has been serving me well for years but I always cringe a little when taking turns and dragging one tire. I can feel the axles winding up and unloading with a chirp. Never had one break but still.... its hard on the machine, the tires, and the road. It turns out that Turf Mode was a big eliminator when looking at what Side by Sides are on the market. Yamaha is out, so is Kawasaki. It boiled down to several Polaris models, Can Am, and the Honda Pioneer 1000. I'll just go look at all these and choose the one I want. Ya.... Right. Not in this day and age. So I sat and waited for Fate to guide my choice. It did not disappoint. I was looking on Craigs list when I noticed a dealer about 2 1/2 hours away had an add for a General XP Deluxe and a Ranger XP. I called to verify they really had these machines (which they did) and I had to choose. Looked at the Wife and got the nod for the General. "I'll Take it." What a nice machine ! Initial Impressions are Wow on comfort. Suspension is very plush, more then our RZR ,which also has Walker Evans shocks. I can tell reverse gear has been changed, much smoother, less jerky then the razor, think its gear driven now not chain. Seats belong in a nice SUV. very comfortable. Radio is new to me in a Side by Side. Its ok, but I can't figure out how to turn it off. Have to do some reading. Now getting Farkles on order. Rear Windscreen, Mirrors and turn signals. Looking forward to getting to know it better.

View attachment 70313
So you are driving your General in turf mode when on paved streets?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
My dealer (largest in Arizona) said to leave it in two wheel mode and never use turf mode when on paved streets or off road (only use it on grass).
You have been misinformed. Turf-Mode is basically an open differential. It allows the wheels to spin at different rates form each other. This is exactly what you want when driving (mainly cornering) on pavement. It also helps to not tear up your lawn.

Let me guess, this info came from Ride Now Motorsports?

·
Registered
21 xp, full cab, 32"progrip k9 tires, emp front bumper and bad dawg rear bumper.
167 Posts
Im using my turf mode also. Have 1200 miles on mine but probably about 150 miles in turf mode. When i get on gravel i switch it back to 2wd. Im pretty sure it says in the manual not to use turf on gravel which makes sense that you can get tire spin easier.
I switch mine at a stop or a slow roll with no throttle.

·
Registered
7 Posts

View attachment 70313
Press and hold source button to turn on and off

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To turn off the radio (AM/FM) change the source to USB. if there is a jump stick plugged in and it starts playing, just hit pause. Or just turn volume all the way down.
I found in the Radio Manual that the SRC button is the on/off switch. Just hold it down for a bit. Thanks !

Here a link to the radio Manual. Stage 1 Audio Kit.pdf

1 - 20 of 63 Posts