Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after months of procrastination I finally ordered a new Hunterworks belt, as that seems to be what most of you fellas suggest. I got the belt in the mail about 3 or 4 days ago which was a really quick delivery job and I’m happy about that. So upon opening up my clutch housing I was interested to see the condition of my clutches, I’ve blown them out two or three times already since I’ve had the machine 1,400 miles ago but I’ve never really had a chance to do a thorough inspection. I must say, I may have gotten a lucky one though. After removing the stock belt (which was in no way causing me problems, I just wanted a spare and heard that the Hunterworks belt helped to take the jerkiness out of the initial moving of the car) I noticed that my sheeves, on both the primary and secondary, are absolutely flawless. I ran my hand gently up and down each sheeve face and felt no indentation, bumps, burrs, NOTHING. Also, the square pucks on my secondary are causing no indentation either, now you can see where they’re rubbing but it’s just enough to make the aluminum look shiny in that area but in no way was making a groove. Anyway, back to the Hunterworks belt, I only just walked in the house after doing an intial little 2-3 mile ride just to ensure everything was good and it feels really nice. There’s still a hint of jerkiness upon the initial take off but nothing like my stock belt, the Hunterworks is way better. I hear good things and hope it’ll hold up. By the way, I’ve put 1,400 miles on this machine since I bought it new last august and while I do proper maintenance and baby it in that regard, I by no means baby it while I’m out riding with friends, I wouldn’t consider it abuse though either. Anyway, everything looks good and I’m really happy my clutches are, so far, holding up nicely. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, if anyone who reads this has a good spot on the machine to store a spare belt, I’d love to hear it! Don’t really have any storage bags or anything so I’m kinda scratching my head as to where I should keep it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your machine is a G2 you can store it in the little box area behind the passenger seat.
Ya know, I thought about that but I thought that box was maybe too small and would require folding the belt up to make it fit. Not sure if folding these belts up for an extended period of time would be good for them or not

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well if your just using it to carry the spare (old belt) I think you would be fine....after all the old belt has lasted you 1400 miles you have to believe the Hunterworks belt will get you more miles than the OEM belt.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Get a box to put in the General's rear box and you can carry many items. A spare belt does you no good if you don't have the tools out on the trail to change it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I used to zip tie the spare belt to the crossbar behind the seats in my Can-Am Commander. With the General I keep it in the truck. When we went to Windrock I carried a tote in the bed with tools and parts.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I carry mine in one of these and keep it in a box with tools that rides on my cargo rack

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a rigid tool box mounted in my bed and the tool tray pictured holds it perfectly, along with my air gauge for east access. It is water tight and was only $29 on sell when I bought it. Underneath is all my tools, compressor, plug kit, etc.
I bolted on some rubber feet to the bottom to help it not slide and bounce so hard.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also, if anyone who reads this has a good spot on the machine to store a spare belt, I’d love to hear it! Don’t really have any storage bags or anything so I’m kinda scratching my head as to where I should keep it.
So the bed quarter panel can be popped out and fit in there. I used this for awhile but recently just had an ah HA moment. Under the hood! There is nothing there and you can run it on the right side folded flat and it fits in a perfect groove!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have two Kenimoto boxes that install and remove very easily. They hold quite a bit. I carry all tire repair items, tools and belt in one with winch items in second. Still room in both. Still fits a Tundra 45 size cooler between them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have two Kenimoto boxes that install and remove very easily. They hold quite a bit. I carry all tire repair items, tools and belt in one with winch items in second. Still room in both. Still fits a Tundra 45 size cooler between them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I just bought one. Figured I could move all my crap from the glove block and center console so I could actually use them for riding storage lol! What do you consider must have stuff in those boxes? I have been carrying winch rope, plugs, air compressor, come a long. My glove box is filled with tools to basically do any work on the general aside from clutching work.

·
PolarisGeneralForum.com Vendor
573 Posts
So after months of procrastination I finally ordered a new Hunterworks belt, as that seems to be what most of you fellas suggest. I got the belt in the mail about 3 or 4 days ago which was a really quick delivery job and I’m happy about that. So upon opening up my clutch housing I was interested to see the condition of my clutches, I’ve blown them out two or three times already since I’ve had the machine 1,400 miles ago but I’ve never really had a chance to do a thorough inspection. I must say, I may have gotten a lucky one though. After removing the stock belt (which was in no way causing me problems, I just wanted a spare and heard that the Hunterworks belt helped to take the jerkiness out of the initial moving of the car) I noticed that my sheeves, on both the primary and secondary, are absolutely flawless. I ran my hand gently up and down each sheeve face and felt no indentation, bumps, burrs, NOTHING. Also, the square pucks on my secondary are causing no indentation either, now you can see where they’re rubbing but it’s just enough to make the aluminum look shiny in that area but in no way was making a groove. Anyway, back to the Hunterworks belt, I only just walked in the house after doing an intial little 2-3 mile ride just to ensure everything was good and it feels really nice. There’s still a hint of jerkiness upon the initial take off but nothing like my stock belt, the Hunterworks is way better. I hear good things and hope it’ll hold up. By the way, I’ve put 1,400 miles on this machine since I bought it new last august and while I do proper maintenance and baby it in that regard, I by no means baby it while I’m out riding with friends, I wouldn’t consider it abuse though either. Anyway, everything looks good and I’m really happy my clutches are, so far, holding up nicely. Fingers crossed!
Please put the round rollers in, and look closer to the wear from the puck. I put some in one that had 150 miles on it, could not see much with them still there but once out there was a groove started at the bottom of the puck. There is has been no wear ever from a clutch with our round rollers put in a new machine. Glad you are happy with the belt, what makes the difference is one more layer of material in the solid portion of the belt, physics says it has to grip better

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just bought one. Figured I could move all my crap from the glove block and center console so I could actually use them for riding storage lol! What do you consider must have stuff in those boxes? I have been carrying winch rope, plugs, air compressor, come a long. My glove box is filled with tools to basically do any work on the general aside from clutching work.
Basic tools that are required for trail repairs if needed goes in one. Belt.clutch tools, tire repair kit, Electrical tools, connectors, fuses, wire ties, crimpers, adjustable wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, torx bits, smaller ratchet sets....again, basic tools. Other bin has tow strap, tree saver strap, clevis' and pins, winch rope jackets, couple snatch blocks, flares and first aid kit.

Those boxes are waterproof which is nice.

My compressor and air hose fits under my passenger seat storage compartment.

As far as what to carry, Really depends on where you ride and who you ride with. I am never very far from calling someone to come help, but the guys out west that are in the middle of nowhere, I am sure they carry many more and different items.

Pirate has a great thread with pictures outlining what he carries. Again, his list is overkill for me, but not for him and his riding environment.

Here is a link to Pirate's post. What I carry with me...Pirate style

Very good read. I picked and chose out of his list, what I thought I needed. Thanks Pirate!!

Hope this helps.

drsmitty74

·
Registered
43 Posts
Basic tools that are required for trail repairs if needed goes in one. Belt.clutch tools, tire repair kit, Electrical tools, connectors, fuses, wire ties, crimpers, adjustable wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, torx bits, smaller ratchet sets....again, basic tools. Other bin has tow strap, tree saver strap, clevis' and pins, winch rope jackets, couple snatch blocks, flares and first aid kit.

Those boxes are waterproof which is nice.

My compressor and air hose fits under my passenger seat storage compartment.

As far as what to carry, Really depends on where you ride and who you ride with. I am never very far from calling someone to come help, but the guys out west that are in the middle of nowhere, I am sure they carry many more and different items.

Pirate has a great thread with pictures outlining what he carries. Again, his list is overkill for me, but not for him and his riding environment.

Here is a link to Pirate's post. What I carry with me...Pirate style

Very good read. I picked and chose out of his list, what I thought I needed. Thanks Pirate!!

Hope this helps.

drsmitty74
Holy crap @Pirate you're the guy I want to go riding with! Did you leave anything at home?!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Put the belt in a bag and store it under the hood. That's where I store mine along with a few tools and a tow strap.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Dragonfire makes a spare belt bag, I’ve got a G4 and it’s clipped to the back seat front retainer.
  • Fits 2 belts
  • All tools needed to change belt are also in the bag too
If you have G2, get creative!

Cheers Baja Charlie
image.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts