Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright here is the deal been looking at how to snorkel the general and i don't see a nice and clean way of doing it without either notching the bed or coming in through the cab right between the driver and passenger seats.......help i need some input..... i have dielectric greased every single electrical connection on the bike and fixing to pull gauge cluster to seal it up in the back, will do all vents when i do the snorkel,,.... no company that i know of yet has come out with a kit as of now

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am getting a highlander one for a ranger this week It looked like you just notch-the bed a little will let you know if it works

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Why do you feel the need to snorkel a General? Combustion air and I think CVT cooling air both draw through pre-filters located under the hood. That's a good spot to get clean air, and if you go that deep in water you're probably screwed anyway.

Just my thoughts...

Pirate

·
Registered
17 Posts
We were out last weekend, fell off in water deep enough to get passenger seat wet. (Not intentional) it pulled through a 50 yard section, with no issue. I've been determined to snorkel as well, but have changed my mind

·
Registered
408 Posts
Why do you feel the need to snorkel a General? Combustion air and I think CVT cooling air both draw through pre-filters located under the hood. That's a good spot to get clean air, and if you go that deep in water you're probably screwed anyway.

Just my thoughts...

Pirate
Don't forget there are 2 more entry points for water. The drivers side belt intake behind the drivers side door, and the belt exhaust on top of the engine, under the air filter. If the cab is closed or partially closed, I would not want that hot belt exhaust coming into the cabin in my opinion. I don't every want to get in water up to my seat or on top of the engine. However, I did put Frogzskin over the side belt intake just for the splash. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ok.... And this may be a completely dumb idea... Since there are two belt intakes. What it you installed a belt intake blower fan on the intake under the hood and converted the intake behind the driver to an exhaust?

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's a great idea! The more air you can get to the belt the better:grin2: Prolly not so good fer you folks that use yer UTV's as boats :laugh: but chit as long as ya mount it up high somewhere I guess it would still work:smile2:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wanted to snorkel due to the fact that we ride in a lot of water and mud.... the intake that comes right out the center of the belt housing will get a cap that one isnt needed just the two intakes and exhaust are needed or two exhausts and one intake which ever it is, i know when a lot of people snorkel a rzr 1k the middle one in the belt box gets a cap

·
Registered
291 Posts
i wanted to snorkel due to the fact that we ride in a lot of water and mud.... the intake that comes right out the center of the belt housing will get a cap that one isnt needed just the two intakes and exhaust are needed or two exhausts and one intake which ever it is, i know when a lot of people snorkel a rzr 1k the middle one in the belt box gets a cap
There is one intake under the hood and the other intake is behind the driver door. The belt exaust is on top of the motor near the air filter. The intake behind the driver door is the tube that goes to the center of the clutch cover for the secondary clutch. If you cap that off you will be severely restricting the airflow and cooling ability therefore causing blown belts. This was a mod Polaris added to the 1K's shortly after they came out to resolve the belt issue.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There is one intake under the hood and the other intake is behind the driver door. The belt exaust is on top of the motor near the air filter. The intake behind the driver door is the tube that goes to the center of the clutch cover for the secondary clutch. If you cap that off you will be severely restricting the airflow and cooling ability therefore causing blown belts. This was a mod Polaris added to the 1K's shortly after they came out to resolve the belt issue.

Exactly General. I would think you reroute this one. Maybe up the right side along the roll bar so it would not block any rear vision and be directly behind the driver. Would be real simple that way with easy to get parts.

·
1,563 Posts
Hey If your going to submarine that thing put a custom flatbed on the back. Wouldn't have to dump.?

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey If your going to submarine that thing put a custom flatbed on the back. Wouldn't have to dump.?

Didn't you read my other post about all of the rain we're getting? Lol.

For me personally, I don't see any reason to snorkel the General. I will look into the idea of the frogskinz for a bit of added protection though.

I will say though that I did see an advantage of snorkeling my RZR. On a trail ride last fall, we came across a section of trail that had become a small river after a 2-3 day continuous rainfall. We were too far in to turn around and with no way to detour, we decided to push through. My RZR was snorkeled and the two other RZR's with me weren't. The water was deep enough that it was flush to the bottom of the seat and although it wasn't a long stretch to drive through, it did cause the two non-snorkeled RZR's to sputter briefly once we were back on dry trail.

Check out these pics.......

Pic 1: My RZR with snorkel. Pic was taken the day after the ride mentioned above.

Pic 2: My brother's RZR without snorkel. Also taken the day after the ride mentioned above. Somehow he sucked up a plastic bag, which we figure must have been in the water hole.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So still didn't have time too play with the snorkel been going none stop I snorkel because we cross rivers and ride down and up some too that get deep and I don't like having to drain belts and intakes on trails

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
deff gonna snorkel jut not sure on how, so your saying the ones under the hood is both intake for the motor?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Snorkle my atv makes snorkle kit now. Does anybody know if could put frogzkin over all air intake and belt exhaust be sufficient protection. Has anybody tried to put frogzkin over a belt exhaust

·
Registered
291 Posts
deff gonna snorkel jut not sure on how, so your saying the ones under the hood is both intake for the motor?
Under the hood is one for the engine and one for the CVT. There is a second CVT intake for the secondary clutch behind the driver door for a total of two CVT intakes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts