Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Im a Tennessee hillbilly so please excuse my spelling and grammer . Im brand new to this form so im looking for honest advise. I was a victume of ODES who is based out of calif. i bought 2 new 800 dominators and dont remember of ever going on a ride that one of the 2 didn't break down . They are a real piece of CRAP . I got burned bad so now i have learned my lesson to go with a name brand. Im looking at the general 4 seater or the can am commander. Can anybody give my the good and bad lowdown of these two units. I thinking go new Also any input on extended warranty

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
Hello
Im a Tennessee hillbilly so please excuse my spelling and grammer . Im brand new to this form so im looking for honest advise. I was a victume of ODES who is based out of calif. i bought 2 new 800 dominators and dont remember of ever going on a ride that one of the 2 didn't break down . They are a real piece of CRAP . I got burned bad so now i have learned my lesson to go with a name brand. Im looking at the general 4 seater or the can am commander. Can anybody give my the good and bad lowdown of these two units. I thinking go new Also any input on extended warranty

First off WELCOME to the site SHANE! to answer 2017 will be the second model year for the General and the 1st model year for the General 4 they have been building Rangers and rzr for many years. You will hear complaints about anything that is mass produced and on these forums you will hear a lot of bad's because that is mainly what people do on them point out the bad's! but read and you will also find that these are great machines The Ranger was built for well mainly there work model a lot of fun to play with but geared to the work/ hunt side. I had one for a number of years loved it! the rzr is more for the all out play ride and does it very well! but not so much for the work or hunt not saying you cant use either just saying! then to fill the gap between the to they built the General and in my eyes they hit the nail on the head sold the Ranger and have the best of both worlds!!!!!! You will not be disappointed with a General. not going to bad talk the commander because for what they are they are good also just going to say I have a friend that got one new about 2 weeks before I got my General and after being in mine wishes he got a General! and a few others feel the same way! Good luck with what you Get.Drive both the General will sell it self! on a side note Had my Ranger Many years and never had one problem and so far same with General. :grin2:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would recommend the General over a Commander. The General is designed to accept many different accessories as where the Commander has accessories available, but it doesn't seem like BRP thought of them
during the design process. Polaris did a nice job designing the General to add accessories depending on what things you'd like to add. Mine will be on tracks all winter and have a fully enclosed cab to retain the heat from the heater. The fit and finish on a Commander cab system is nothing compared to the General's.

I was out with a buddy last weekend and he blew a belt in his Commander about 5 minutes from the truck. Good thing we hadn't made it to the swamps yet or I would have been in a whole different mood after getting the belt changed. It took about 45 minutes to change the belt because of the interior plastic trim pieces you have to remove to gain access to the clutches. It was a pain in the ass and I can't imagine what it would of been like if it had been muddy or blew in the middle of a swamp. You have to lay under the Commander to access the lower clutch cover bolts, or tip it on its side a little. The access to the lower bolts is through small holes in the skid plate. The General belt should only take about 5 minutes to change, and you don't have to lay on your back to do it.

My friend's Commander gets around really well and has a lot of space in the bed to haul stuff, more room than a General, but that's nowhere near enough incentive For me to choose one over a General. Plus my General will run circles around him and I'll be clean and warm doing it! Buy a General and you won't regret it.

·
Super Moderator
3,174 Posts
Welcome shane! The General has it's flaws, but none have kept me from enjoying mine to the fullest. My cousin has a Can Am Commander, and he's having a blast with that too. His main complaint with the Can Am, was in cab heat being really bad. He put header wrap on his exhaust, and reflective heat barrier under the interior plastic. He said that helped tremendously.

Now, we've done a bunch of trail riding, and I've seen another Can Am flaw, no front locker. At least not on his, and it has prevented him from going places that I have had no trouble with, since the General actually has 4 wheel drive, when engaged. That's a big thing for me, and the General's 100hp don't hurt either. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I completely missed that part MMX said, but yet the Commander will take a beer with perfectly blue mountains and have it too hot to hold in a matter or minutes. The friend I mentioned earlier has to use a Yeti thermal insulated cup to keep his drinks cool. Major design flaw in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts