Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks like around 80% of torque is available from the get go and it'll only go up from there. This makes the Polaris General ideal for rock crawling and getting out of muddy trails.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like around 80% of torque is available from the get go and it'll only go up from there. This makes the Polaris General ideal for rock crawling and getting out of muddy trails.
That and as a work mule which will be great for pulling a load even going up an incline.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ideal for rock crawling? Sorry, but without any differential locks this isn't going to be a great side by side for crawling up and over obstacles. The Honda Pioneer 1000 would be a much better bet for a utility side by side if that is what your looking at doing. For this reason and the ability to control the gears in the transmission (no belt), I'm leaning towards purchasing the Pioneer but won't make a final decision until I can demo both. Checking out the Pioneer tomorrow as my local dealer just got one in. Still waiting to line up a demo ride in the General.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ideal for rock crawling? Sorry, but without any differential locks this isn't going to be a great side by side for crawling up and over obstacles. The Honda Pioneer 1000 would be a much better bet for a utility side by side if that is what your looking at doing. For this reason and the ability to control the gears in the transmission (no belt), I'm leaning towards purchasing the Pioneer but won't make a final decision until I can demo both. Checking out the Pioneer tomorrow as my local dealer just got one in. Still waiting to line up a demo ride in the General.
That explains why most marketing material show it as a work horse rather than a toy. Are you just going to need something for pure fun?

·
Registered
22 Posts
That explains why most marketing material show it as a work horse rather than a toy. Are you just going to need something for pure fun?
I'm looking for both as I can't afford two rigs. I had a Rhino 700 that I put a ton of money into. It was a great work rig but needed some help to get it to be a play rig also. This time around I don't want to spend a bunch of money again to make something into what I want. It looks like Polaris and Honda are both coming out with more of a dual purpose machine that just a one dimension one like a Ranger or RZR. I need a dumping bed for work but also want something that can go great in the trails, rocks, and snow where I live in Bend Oregon. I'm not familiar with the AWD system of the General but with the Pioneer being able to lock up both the front and rear differentials, its going to be able to go places that the General would have a hard time with. Anybody with any experience with lockers knows the difference (also own a Rubicon which is a lot of fun).

I don't think Polaris is marketing this as a just a workhorse. That is where their Ranger line comes into play. This is suppose to be something that can be both a work and play rig and I think that is where Honda has Polaris beat with the Pioneer 1000. I actually test road one this morning and was fairly impressed with it. Having paddle shifters is something that is going to take some time to get use to if you want to use the manual mode but other than that it seems like a good rid although I wasn't allowed to really open it up. I do plan on waiting to test ride a General and found out a little more about the AWD system before I spend the money on either one.

Without having my Rhino anymore I'm really anxious to get one!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm pretty sure, but may be wrong, that all polaris diff's are locked, excluding turf diff. The front diff just isn't engaged until the rear slips 1/5 revolution. So this whole argument about being able to lock diff's is moot. Now being able unlock them is different and a plus. I would think the General would be ideal for rock crawling, especially with a duraclutch installed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The General will go any place the Pioneer will go with no problem.
The front is a locker.
The Play time grins will be twice as big with the General vs the Pioneer.
Drive both and then you will see.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The torque curve looks real sweet to me. Glad it was posted. HP is great but not the real deal in anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The General will go any place the Pioneer will go with no problem.
The front is a locker.
The Play time grins will be twice as big with the General vs the Pioneer.
Drive both and then you will see.
x2, my old RZR that had the slower engaging 4wd rock crawled like a champ. I took it up trails that I needed both lockers in my jeep that was on 40's once or twice even.

·
Registered
291 Posts
x2, my old RZR that had the slower engaging 4wd rock crawled like a champ. I took it up trails that I needed both lockers in my jeep that was on 40's once or twice even.
I agree 100% The General has the exact 4x4 system as every RZR ever produced! Like it or not and I know there is better out there but watch and YouTube video and you'll see the RzRs will climb over most anything. If ya really wanna see what they'll do in the rocks then google "King of the Hammers UTV race. Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, CanAm and ArticCat run this race and Polaris has won every year!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts