Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Polaris General XP Ride Command
24 Posts
I have a graphic similar to yours that I have to install yet. I would be interested in how to do it also

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
520 Posts
That looks awesome, man! You done a great job! Where could a feller pick up something like that?

·
Registered
2021 Polaris General XP Ride Command
24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
I got mine from the Vinyl Creator also. The hood and tailgate are reflective

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
I've got these coming for the doors, but they are not reflective. I wanted those in the matte finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Those hood graphic awesome guys.

Reactions: J1551610

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
How did you put it on?
The hood and tailgate I put on dry, look for a youtube video, it's what I did. The door wraps I'll put on wet, seems to be a better method, there are plenty of DIY videos

Reactions: vtprairie

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Is this the reflective? I'm not really sure what to pair with the military tan color. Are gloss and reflective similar besides their nighttime properties?

Matte might be too dull for outside light, but tan is not exactly a glossy color.
The Vinyl Creator has three choices, Gloss, Matte and Reflective. It looks like the others above are the Matte, but not really positive. The Reflective is a gloss. My machine is the Matte blue, so I chose to go with matte for the sides. I like the reflective for the front and back as it will increase your visibility.

Reactions: PriestLaker

·
Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe RC
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My hood graphic came from The Vinyl Creator. My wife wanted the reflective finish, so that's what we ordered. I wanted matt finish, but now that it's installed, I really do like the reflective.

I washed the hood, let it dry, and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol. The XP graphic comes in two pieces. I installed the smaller rear piece first. First I trimmed the edges of the protective layer very close to the edges of the graphic all the way around. I got it centered, and taped the graphic in place with masking tape. I heated the graphic to make it more flexible with a hair dryer. I peeled the protective top layer off of the right half, then then peeled backing off of the same half. I applied the decal from center to the side and rear, then peeled the top layer and backing off the other half and applied it the same way. You have to stick the decal in very small increments, working the air bubbles out as you go, and make sure you don't have any wrinkles. Going slow is important.

Next the large hood graphic. I got it centered, and taped the graphic in place with masking tape. I heated the graphic to make it more flexible with a hair dryer. I removed the top protective layer and the backing from the right half, and worked the decal from the front and center, to the side and rear. The hood has a crown that makes the decal want to wrinkle. Take your time, use a little heat, and stick the decal a little at a time. After I had to right side finished, I removed the top protective layer and the backing on the left side and applied the decal front and center, to the side and rear.

After the graphics were installed I used the hair dryer to heat small areas of the graphic and rubbed it with a lint free cloth to make sure it had bonded well, especially around the edges. Take care not to overheat the graphics.

I ordered the tailgate graphic last night. I'll post a photo when I get it installed.

P.S. I installed my graphic dry. The instructions that came with it did not mention wet installation.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
So when you're close up...how does the graphic look on the coarse surface of the inner hood?

Pirate

·
Registered
2020 General XP 1000 Deluxe RC
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The graphic looks fine on coarse surface. It is thick enough that the rough hood surface does not transfer through the graphic.

·
Registered
2018 Polaris General 2 seat Deluxe
48 Posts
Hey, in retrospect, would you have done the two piece, with that little section closest to the windshield? I think I'm leaning that way...

View attachment 69068 View attachment 69068

·
Registered
2021 XP 1000 4 Deluxe
157 Posts
Just ordered the hood and back window graphic. Got black and silver with a red stripe. Should look awesome.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts