Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

So after much research I decided to make my own snorkel. It was frustrating having a little bit of water go through the belt exhaust or leaning to the left and having the side intake fill with water. I made a back sliding glass so I couldn't buy the kit and I wasn't too happy about cutting my lock and ride holes and the ecu box. My way avoids all of that and i put an inline blower since the side vent doesn't pull in much air. Since i reduced the exhaust hose to 2" i felt it was required to have the inline blower. Tested it over the weekend in my pond and it seems to work pretty well. I do have the 5 year warranty so i made it to where everything could be removed and put back to factory.

After sitting in water for about 30 seconds I did get a hand full of water out of the belt box, but it wasn't enough to make the belt slip so i took everything back apart and nothing was dirty or wet on the inside of my snorkeled hoses. Has anyone removed the clutches to reseal the back?

Before I snorkeled it i filled the cvt full of water to make sure I didn't have any leaks to begin with. Everything was sealed tight so I am not sure where else to look.

Attachments

·
Registered
'17 General Deluxe 2 door, ride command, 6 inch portals 45% gear reduction, 37"BKT ON 22" MSA wheel
2 Posts
Hello Everyone,

So after much research I decided to make my own snorkel. It was frustrating having a little bit of water go through the belt exhaust or leaning to the left and having the side intake fill with water. I made a back sliding glass so I couldn't buy the kit and I wasn't too happy about cutting my lock and ride holes and the ecu box. My way avoids all of that and i put an inline blower since the side vent doesn't pull in much air. Since i reduced the exhaust hose to 2" i felt it was required to have the inline blower. Tested it over the weekend in my pond and it seems to work pretty well. I do have the 5 year warranty so i made it to where everything could be removed and put back to factory.

After sitting in water for about 30 seconds I did get a hand full of water out of the belt box, but it wasn't enough to make the belt slip so i took everything back apart and nothing was dirty or wet on the inside of my snorkeled hoses. Has anyone removed the clutches to reseal the back?

Before I snorkeled it i filled the cvt full of water to make sure I didn't have any leaks to begin with. Everything was sealed tight so I am not sure where else to look.
I see its an older thread but im looking to snorkel my 17, what hose is that you used on your project?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm looking to delete the side vent on my 17...with tracks on in the snow it's worthless. I'm leaning toward drawing air from inside the cab where snow isn't an issue. However I wonder if that would increase noise inside the cab...from the clutches?

·
Registered
2022 G4 Delux RC Ghost White (ordered 9/1/21) & 2017 Sportsman 570
195 Posts
I'm looking to delete the side vent on my 17...with tracks on in the snow it's worthless. I'm leaning toward drawing air from inside the cab where snow isn't an issue. However I wonder if that would increase noise inside the cab...from the clutches?
^following^ 👍

·
Registered
81 Posts
So snorkled it. Ran the stock secondary tube to behind the back seat. No more snow pluging the vent. Cut the stock tube where it bends and routed it straight forward. Used a tub drain to mount to the cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
So how much louder/noisier in the cab is it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
So how much louder/noisier in the cab is it?
I dont notice it being louder...however my hearing is shot. The true test will be when the wifey loads up ! I'll report back then. With the inlet behind the seat and covered with frogskin I belive it will be fine. They really do draw quite a bit of air ! Without it drawing from the side vent ...that vent stayed uncovered with snow, where as before I couldn't go 200 yards with out it being covered !!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
My hearing is shot also. My bride on the hand has super hearing. Sometimes I think she can even hear my thoughts! ;)

Reactions: Dino.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wife wears ear muffs.... all year long when we ride. I use ear plugs. This will help to improve air flow ! And before next summer I will install a fan kit on the G4.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
We have the Blow Hole blower installed on the clutch cover exhaust. Seems to work well. But that also helps suck more dust in off the side intake IF it is super dusty out.
Might have to try your idea!

·
Registered
81 Posts
We have the Blow Hole blower installed on the clutch cover exhaust. Seems to work well. But that also helps suck more dust in off the side intake IF it is super dusty out.
Might have to try your idea!
I plan on running this all year long. Frogskin should help keep dust down to a dull roar. I also run outterwears on the intake under the hood.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Today will be the first time out with the snorkle in deeper snow ! Guess we will see how well or how poorly it functions!!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
I plan on running this all year long. Frogskin should help keep dust down to a dull roar. I also run outterwears on the intake under the hood.
We have Frogskin and outterwears also.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Worked good as far as I can tell. 17° out so it got plenty of cool air. Clutch cover housing never got warm to the touch unlike when it tried to draw air thru the side vent. Before the side vent would plug with
Sky Vehicle Snow Tire Automotive tire
Sky Vehicle Snow Tire Automotive tire

snow within a few hundred yards.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Can you hear it now in the cab or not so much?

·
Registered
81 Posts
So after 125 miles in snow with tracks I pulled the cover to inspect and blow out the clutches....hardly any dust came out of the new set up ! So between new clutchs and a snorkle that's not choked in snow all is well !!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts