Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 General. Two weeks ago in a ride i got on a hard road where i normally open it up. Hit 52 mph and it was banging rev limiter. Went on another ride this past weekend and didn’t get a chance to open up and check to see if it would do it again but i noticed it was running a lot higher rpms than it should be.

I’m gonna clean it up today and pull the clutch cover off. Any ideas or suggestions on what to check? It sounds like a clutching/ belt problem but this isn’t my specialty.

I have 30s but i’ve had them for quite some time with no issues and it is still the stock belt. 1600 miles

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: I got the clutch cover off and feeling over the weights. Two of them are loose and move freely, and the other seems tight and doesn’t want to move. Didn’t have enough time to mess with it. Could this be the issue?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Yes it could if you have a weight hanging up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes The issue is in there, watch this video to help you locate the issue, hate to say it but you probably gonna need a new primary, new rollers in one usually do not last long and I bet that is where the issue is

What do you mean exactly when you say a new primary?

Clutching defiantly isn’t my thing but im gonna take a look at it today and see if i can figure out why it’s sticking and hoping i can just free it up

·
PolarisGeneralForum.com Vendor
573 Posts
Watch the video, it will show you and the primary is the clutch in question the one on the engine

So when I say you need a new primary most likely that means you will most likely be buying a new clutch, weights stick due to rollers going bad normally and rebuilding them does not seem to last long at all.

But again, watch the video

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Watch the video, it will show you and the primary is the clutch in question the one on the engine

So when I say you need a new primary most likely that means you will most likely be buying a new clutch, weights stick due to rollers going bad normally and rebuilding them does not seem to last long at all.

But again, watch the video
Thought that’s what you meant but was hoping it wasn’t what you meant!

Think it would be worth it to see if it would be covered under warranty? Most likely not

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure what to do. I couldn’t get my clutch off with a puller and didn’t want to try any harder and break something if i do take it to the dealer.

I did however get the weight that i thought was sticking and pulled the bolt and lubed it up with on blaster. Dried it and put it back in. I can now moved the bolt freely back and forth where I couldn’t before. I blew out the entire clutch assembly and put everything back together.

Took it down the road and the rpms seemed lower. Before at or around 30 mph i was about 8000rpms. Now down to around 6000. Hit 55mph and rev limiter.

Dealer said they would take a look at it and submit a claim but i don’t see it happening. I’m fine with 55mph and it runs great any other time but just the fact and it’s bothering me. Any other ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
129 Posts

• Not sure what to do. I couldn’t get my clutch off with a puller and didn’t want to try any harder and break something if i do take it to the dealer.

I did however get the weight that i thought was sticking and pulled the bolt and lubed it up with on blaster. Dried it and put it back in. I can now moved the bolt freely back and forth where I couldn’t before. I blew out the entire clutch assembly and put everything back together.

Took it down the road and the rpms seemed lower. Before at or around 30 mph i was about 8000rpms. Now down to around 6000. Hit 55mph and rev limiter.

Dealer said they would take a look at it and submit a claim but i don’t see it happening. I’m fine with 55mph and it runs great any other time but just the fact and it’s bothering me. Any other ideas or suggestions?
    Have you compared your belt to a new one? If its worn too skinny you will not have the same top speed.

·
573 Posts
Not sure what to do. I couldn’t get my clutch off with a puller and didn’t want to try any harder and break something if i do take it to the dealer.

Did you watch the video I gave you and look at all of the clutch parts, see if the spider nut and spider are backed off?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you watch the video I gave you and look at all of the clutch parts, see if the spider nut and spider are backed off?
Yes i watched the video. Very helpful. Thank you. However j could not get the clutch off. Using a pulled and last resort tap with a hammer and it wouldn’t pop off

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I know a few months back someone had the same issue with theirs and if my memory serves me correctly it was the spider nut and spider backed off.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Yes i watched the video. Very helpful. Thank you. However j could not get the clutch off. Using a pulled and last resort tap with a hammer and it wouldn’t pop off
Were you using the bolt that you screw into the primary and if so you have to tighten it pretty tight especially if it has never been off. It will scare you the first time it finally pops off.

·
573 Posts
Not tap, whack the piss out of it when the puller is under a good load, I use a impact on the puller

but you can do all of that with the clutch on the vehicle and belt off

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not tap, whack the piss out of it when the puller is under a good load, I use a impact on the puller

but you can do all of that with the clutch on the vehicle and belt off

I got a chance to look again this morning. I took it apart again as it was back together from a test run. I took the belt off. Took the cover off with the 6 bolts. Out came the spider not i assume with it.

I would say that was my issue

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ding ding ding, spider nut off and spider probably turned too, so two ways to fix this. Buy clutch tools from us to take completely apart and put back together with 620 loctite or buy a new clutch
I think my buddy has the tools but what he doesn’t have i’ll be ordering from you. I still haven’t got the primary off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had to wait a few days for the correct puller to come in the mail.

Came right off. Took my primary clutch apart. Called my local dealer to see if they could hook me up. They looked it over and documented it and put the spider nut back on with some loctite.

Runs good as new now. Appreciate everyone’s input!

·
573 Posts
Had to wait a few days for the correct puller to come in the mail.

Came right off. Took my primary clutch apart. Called my local dealer to see if they could hook me up. They looked it over and documented it and put the spider nut back on with some loctite.

Runs good as new now. Appreciate everyone’s input!
If that is true you will be lucky, most times the spider moves too to some amount.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts