Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I am at a loss and looking for help. I want to install back up / reverse lights on my 2021 General 4 1000 Deluxe.

I am no electrician, but successfully installed light bars, horn, etc., without any issues. I even have a wiring harness set to go if and when I can find the dang things.
I’ve looked at several threads here and studied a lot of pictures. I’ve carefully cut some of the wire wrapping in locations they may have been, with no luck.
Attached is a picture of where I am so far.
Any hints, recommendations, whatever will be most appreciated!

·
Registered
2021 Graphite G4 1000 RC stage 4
13 Posts
Bill I’m in same boat. I’ve seen all the others with them. I’m pretty certain at this point that on the 21 G4 they don’t have them. I think I’ve seen one person with 21 2 seater that did have.
Ive been trying to find out for the past week or so but with no luck. I have removed wrap and they are not there. I have the 21 g4 deluxe with ride command.
I’m waiting for someone to have the magic answer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill I’m in same boat. I’ve seen all the others with them. I’m pretty certain at this point that on the 21 G4 they don’t have them. I think I’ve seen one person with 21 2 seater that did have.
Ive been trying to find out for the past week or so but with no luck. I have removed wrap and they are not there. I have the 21 g4 deluxe with ride command.
I’m afraid you’re right. If this is the case, I hope someone can explain a workaround.

·
Registered
2020 General 4 1000, SuperATV 3” lift, Quad Boss 2” wheel spacers, Hunterworks rollers and belt
688 Posts
If nothing else.....hook em to a switch and then you can flip em on when you need to.🤨 Obviously not as user friendly but then you will have light At the rear for any other use you may need light and don’t have to put it in reverse to get it.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
They are on our 21 General XP G2 Ride Command.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If nothing else.....hook em to a switch and then you can flip em on when you need to.🤨 Obviously not as user friendly but then you will have light At the rear for any other use you may need light and don’t have to put it in reverse to get it.
Yessir, that’s plan B. I’ll need to modify the harness a little. And, I will miss the cool factor. 😁

·
Registered
283 Posts
I was wanting to do reverse lights also but have pretty much come to the conclusion that the 21 XP’s don’t have the reverse wires.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris General XP Ride Command
24 Posts
My reverse lights are located here on my 2021 xp. They were dangling down. Did not have to remove any tape. Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lucky You!

I still can't find them, but am wondering what the heck this is. Two pics: one with cap, one without. Please disregard the burnt and scarred hand. It tends to touch hot engines, mufflers, scrape on bolts and rough edges...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Lucky You!

I still can't find them, but am wondering what the heck this is. Two pics: one with cap, one without. Please disregard the burnt and scarred hand. It tends to touch hot engines, mufflers, scrape on bolts and rough edges...
Guessing you don't have a rear camera? I would guess that is the connection for a rear camera.

Reactions: Fyrewil

·
Premium Member
2021 General XP 4
111 Posts
I just checked over my 2021 General XP 4 with ride command. I can't find thoose connectors either. The area were most had that wires is about were the wires go to my rear camera. I was really hoping to add reverse lights. Does anyone have access to the wiring diagram for this.

·
Registered
2020XP4
1,159 Posts
You will need to get a service manual specific to the 2021 G4. If they updated the wire harness, and that's seems to be the only model affected, it should be in the service manual. However you can't use the wiring diagram from say a 2020MY because we've proven that they have the wiring. As well, guys have proven the 2 seater 2021MY has it also. It's very strange they would eliminate it like that on the 4 seater only...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gents, I am at a loss and looking for help. I want to install back up / reverse lights on my 2021 General 4 1000 Deluxe.

I am no electrician, but successfully installed light bars, horn, etc., without any issues. I even have a wiring harness set to go if and when I can find the dang things.
I’ve looked at several threads here and studied a lot of pictures. I’ve carefully cut some of the wire wrapping in locations they may have been, with no luck.
Any hints, recommendations, whatever will be most appreciated! View attachment 68774
I have a 2018 and saw lots of links but I had to use a solenoid to work right off the trigger wire.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Any hints, recommendations, whatever will be most appreciated! View attachment 68774
I have read on Facebook group post that some 2021 does NOT have the wires. I know the wires require a different set up than most, I want to say that the factory wires actually ground the circuit instead of powering it, Check the info on this link, I know it says it's only till 2020 year models. Call these people at Automotive Custom Lighting, they are super nice & very knowledgeable on this wiring. I had some questions before I ordered my harness from them for my 2018 & I was going to use my on/off/on switch I already had & he told me that he went through about 40 switches before he found the right set up. So I told him I'd be getting his switch to avoid the headache. https://automotivecustomlighting.co...2018/02/PolarisGeneralReverseInstructions.pdf

·
Premium Member
2021 General XP 4
111 Posts
Found the 2020-2021 Service manual on Gilemons website. There is an electrical section and it shows that the connection should be there but its also a 20-21 manual and we know the 20s have the connection so it wasn't real helpful. The actual diagram I think is missing. On previous Polaris manuals I've had it was a supplemental sheet. I was wondering if the backup camera is on all the time and triggered at the screen with reverse or triggered on at the camera. I haven't pulled the connection loose to see if I can figure it out. If it is triggered on at the camera we could possibly tie in there to run the reverse lights. I'm kind of guessing its powered all the time though, if I remember right you can select the rear camera in the ride command at any time. The signal wire has to be in the harness some were to trigger the camera at the screen just a matter of finding a place to tie in. Worse case scenario would be to add a magnetic pickup switch that senses when the shift lever is in reverse.

I did it on my 14 RZR but its a real pain to get it set so it only picks it up in reverse and not the positions around it. Its my next project after I finish getting these Polaris premium doors adjusted. The drivers door is just being a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
2021 SPORT
14 Posts
Just got my 2021 2 seater SPORT model guys on the 9th of this month... Been doing all of my lighting mods and installations and wanted to do this mod but mine DOES NOT have the two spade connectors in the harness.... Took the wrap completely off the section where everyone's has been and no connectors... Now mind you I have the sport base model....yet I do have the rear backup camera plug on the end of the harness.... Even though mine is not a ride command model.... Go figure.... I just wired mine to come on with my rear roof cube lights on my rocker switch....just manual control...

·
Premium Member
2021 General XP 4
111 Posts
Just got my 2021 2 seater SPORT model guys on the 9th of this month... Been doing all of my lighting mods and installations and wanted to do this mod but mine DOES NOT have the two spade connectors in the harness.... Took the wrap completely off the section where everyone's has been and no connectors... Now mind you I have the sport base model....yet I do have the rear backup camera plug on the end of the harness.... Even though mine is not a ride command model.... Go figure.... I just wired mine to come on with my rear roof cube lights on my rocker switch....just manual control...
Sounds like some engineer decided to save Polaris a few cents on every machine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts