Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if gates has a replacement belt for the general? I Smoked mine yesterday pulling a friend out of the mud and now have a lot of chattering when taking off from a dead stop. Can I just sand the surface of the pulleys to remove any glazing of there is any to stop the chattering?

·
Registered
12 Posts
you can try cleaning clutches with brillo pad,last weekend I had some belt slippage and smoke climbing a hill,I have put about 16000 miles on the last two rzrs and never had this problem!it will be interesting to see if any one else has had this problem,

·
Registered
12 Posts
can you take some pictures of clutches I have been wondering what type of clutches they are? they are supposedly something new

·
Registered
94 Posts
was looking at mine the other day at snorkeling wouldn't be hard just trying to figure out how to run them with cutting the least amount of plastic

·
Registered
4 Posts
remember the rzr's had around 50-55 hp. 100 hp on the general. with more hp easier to smoke a belt. i to have an 800 rzr's about 14,000.00 miles of desert on it. i'm on my second belt. been looking at the general also .

·
Registered
126 Posts
RZR Turbo has over 140hp, RZR 1000XP 110, RZR 1000 s has 100, same motor as the General and it is probably the same belt.

You can check here.
Browse

EDIT: it shows a different belt, General only usage.

Todd at Hunterworks will probably know if aftermarket is available.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have never had good luck with aftermarket belts in anything from BRP, Can-am and Ski Doo. Had great luck with OEM belts. The only thing I did with Commanders is put a Maverick belt on them.

I am surprised that Polaris would have a different belt for this buggy as it supposed to the same as the 1000S.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Now, be careful. To buff the sheave faces clean. You want to use burgundy Scotchbrite material. Its finer than the green Scotchbrite and thus easier on the magnesium sheaves.

You don't want to use brake cleaner or carb cleaner or even water to clean out the clutches and CVT housing.
Just use the Scotchbrite and then wipe clean with a clean, damp, towel.
The chattering is indeed a function of damage to the belt. Remove the belt and inspect it for cuts, glazed portions, or roughened sections. All of which will make noise, and vibration.

My advice. If someone you're with is in that deep, use a machine with a winch. If someone is in that deep...and you try to pull them out...you need to have one of the straps that stretches.
Back up as close as you can to the stuck vehicle. Securely connect the snatch strap to each machine. Then you take off and go as hard as you can until the strap stretches and stops you.
Plant the brakes. The the stuck vehicle start turning the wheels slowly, use a little steering and the machine will eventually get out. You may have to repeat this several times. But beats the **** out of smoking a belt!!!

Hunterworks sells several brands of belts and Todd can help you select the correct one for your machine.

Just talking experiences!!

Pirate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts