Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I was parked on a rather steep hill loading gravel from a ditch. I had the bed pretty much level full, which I guess is right at the weight limit. It was a pretty heavy load.

When I was done. I put the trans in High and let it start to roll down the hill. I never touched the throttle, as it was going as fast down the hill as I wanted it to. I noticed a funny (as in "not normal") noise coming from the driveline, and it felt like it was free-wheeling. When I got near the bottom of the hill, I tapped the throttle, and the engine braking came on and about threw me through the windshield. That's when I seen all the smoke. At first I thought it was on fire, but it turns out I just somehow smoked the he11 out of the belt. I'm guessing that rolling downhill with a big load from stopped somehow causes belt slippage before the engine braking kicks in. Not exactly sure how that works. But you might want to keep it in mind.

Tim

·
Registered
348 Posts
I can see what you are talking about. I don't think it Was caused from freewheeling (normal occurrence when over 10 mph in high). I bet when you taped the gas under a heavy load the belt ingaged the engine breaking system by locking the helix in the engine breaking cut out.

Reactions: RockinRonnie

·
Registered
348 Posts
One on left is what the Generals looks like. One on the right is a engine break delete kit. ( This info is from research I have done on the internet, let me know if I am wrong)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,175 Posts
One on left is what the Generals looks like. One on the right is a engine break delete kit. ( This info is from research I have done on the internet, let me know if I am wrong)

I think you are correct been reading the same because to me the engine brake is a bit much for me!
the engine brake kicked in and the belt was spinning too fast and it slipped and caused the smoke!

Reactions: Ironsbrandon

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
One of those learning opportunities. One my 2009 RZR 800 I have a one way bearing in the Primary Clutch and an EBS helix in the Secondary Clutch. So when driving it, I have very good EBS all the time. But I did learn that...when heading down a long, steep, downhill...stop and put it in "L". This keeps the EBS in "operation" and you don't wind up tapping the brake and kissing the windshield.

Lotsa years of getting the EBS figured out the way I want, and learning to drive with it!

Now...one thing I haven't had time to figure out...the EBS in my 2016 General Deluxe is a good bit different than the RZR 800. Can't tell you exactly how they are different...but it feels different.

Pirate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts