Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 General XP
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious,, I know the XP is advertised at 64, however I put 32 x10 15 carnivores and 5+2 System 3 Rims on and i measure like 68.... am I in for issues or will I be ok?

·
Registered
2021 Polaris General XP 4 1000 RC
12 Posts
WI width set at 65inch's, measured from rim to rim, so may have trouble at some gates. I could see them fining you if you happened to get stopped, so your going to have to determine if you want to risk it...

·
Registered
78 Posts
In our part of MN, we are running fire roads, min-maintenance roads etc, and most are un regulated. But for those few places that are, the gates will tell you when to turn around. You literally will not fit between the two poles, and that time, you gotta find another route.

Honestly, unless there are signs of folks going around gates, I doubt the LEO's are out there with a tape measure. But as mentioned, your biggest issues are in the designated ATV parks, where 65" is the rule/law. And you will have no way of going into the 50" parks, as they are gated with poles at the designated width.

Two summers ago, we had a CanAm Maverick X3 XRS Maxx with us. Yup, that's that huge 73" monster that's longer than my crew cab Sierra. He decided to go around the gate and through someone's property. Well, he was not the first, as the owners didn't point out that there were a few "well placed" fence posts that were ground off just above ground level. They took out one of those expensive tires of his. We all had a beer trailside as he plugged the hole while we waiting for a LEO to come along and ask what happened and ticket him.

·
Registered
2021 General XP
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been doing some reading,,i thought the measure was tire to tire outside, but it appears to be outside of rim to rim outside,, ill have to measure again, i should be closer than i thought by taking the tire bulge measure off of each side

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been doing some reading,,i thought the measure was tire to tire outside, but it appears to be outside of rim to rim outside,, ill have to measure again, i should be closer than i thought by taking the tire bulge measure off of each side
They have started using the terminology of "total width" since the enforcement is based on these gate poles. If the owner has little issue scuffing their tires or fender flares while the rims fit between the poles, you are good. That may be the majority of the enforcement out there are those poles.

And like SD, as the population of the machines change, the trails may change too. It used to be you could not go many places with Class II ATV's (above 50") but the market changed and more and more Class II's are around and the trails evolved. I do believe they are finding wider machines are not only more desirable, but also safer.

·
Registered
2021 General XP
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is posted in the reg book:
"How the width of an UTV is measure has changed. UTVs are required to be originally manufactured, and must have at all times a width of not more than 65 inches as measured laterally between the outermost wheel rim on each side of the vehicle, exclusive of tires, mirrors, and accessories that are not essential to the vehicle’s basic operation."

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is posted in the reg book:
"How the width of an UTV is measure has changed. UTVs are required to be originally manufactured, and must have at all times a width of not more than 65 inches as measured laterally between the outermost wheel rim on each side of the vehicle, exclusive of tires, mirrors, and accessories that are not essential to the vehicle’s basic operation."
That is the key definition right there. "originally manufactured" As these machines have left the factory as a Class II ATVs, and it will be licensed that way. That is why the DNR/State regulated it for registration.

Now where you drive it on trails, is up to the folks maintaining the trails. We have a number of ATV parks and trail systems that designate their trails class I or class II, but they don't have someone out there enforcing it, other than the two poles. So at that time, yup, you legally own a class II atv, but if you are at 68" wide, the poles are going to tell you that you are going to have scuffed tires if you care to ride their trails. None of these clubs are going to move their poles out to 75" to accommodate the few that modify their Class II's to OHV standards, even though their reg card still says Class II.

·
Registered
2021 General XP
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well measured today my System 3 beadlocks 15x7 5+2 rims measure 65 7/8 as per Wi measure,, if you include tire bulge im at 68

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well measured today my System 3 beadlocks 15x7 5+2 rims measure 65 7/8 as per Wi measure,, if you include tire bulge im at 68
Sounds like you are good to go.

I saw someone posted on one of the facebook groups, a quote from the WI ATV/UTV Association, that the 65" and 2000lb weight rule has been in place almost 10 years. And that our vehicles would be registered, but technically illegally in WI. As you are saying it is under 2000lbs at time of registration. I hope they roll out the scale trailside. Or they may just start recognizing models.

Wisconsin ATV / UTV Association, Inc.

August 22, 2020 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to spread the word, for folks looking to purchase crew cab UTVs, usually with full cabs, doors and often with heater and air conditioning, check out the dry weight and width before you buy.
The current statute only allows up to 2,000 pounds and a max of 65 inches.
Our office had been fielding a lot of calls lately, consumers have purchased and then found out the machine is not legal, often they are told by enforcement the registration is not valid after being stopped out on the trails after the machine has already been purchased.
Nothing has changed that way, this has been the max weight and width since the UTV registration program was put into place back in 2012.
Discussions are ongoing with many partners as to whether these specs should remain as is or should there be adjustments?
Lots of pros and cons to debate.
Much discussion on these two topics occurred at the recent Northwest Regional meeting.
We just want people to be aware before they purchase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts