Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the deluxe and the front end was bottoming on a few big ruts and I'm curious if I should turn the knot to a stiffer position or shorten the springs a little. The manual says we can go up to 1 inch shorter than the stock length

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would turn the compression adjustment up one notch before ya mess with the preload of the springs. :wink2: Preloading the springs will only change your ride height. The 3 way valve or Compression adjustment is the only thing that will change how fast or slow the piston moves in the up stroke of the shock.:grin2:

·
Registered
374 Posts
What are the shocks set at now? My first ride seemed to be hitting hard, so I turned the shocks down one setting. They were on "2".

Drove a little further and the bike felt like it had a bit more cushion to it, but still seemed to hit hard. Checked the tire pressure and all four tires were at 18psi.

I'm now running 8psi front, 10psi rear and back on setting "2" again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As many dealers have no idea how to set shocks up from factory, they are usually set VERY STIFF and the customer just rides the utv and never adjust them. In there opinion they don't want to break anything. adjusting them according to how a customer rides or showing the customers how to adjust them for a better ride would make a lot more people happy. I don't even take it for a ride before I adjust both spring preload and either compression or rebound or both if they have them. Most of the the factory springs are garbage....... They have way too much preload spring tension causing machines to buck in the rear over bumps. There are many aftermarket company's that offer springs that can be single or duel rate that will drastically improve your ride and or handling. Imo

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here is an article that goes through a lot. You can get very specific with some measurements and some math problems.... But face it.... Most if us only do subtraction by counting beer cans from the cooler.

DIALING IN SHOCKS - UTV Off-Road Magazine

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
mine were set at the medium setting from dealer,kinda stiff in big bumps.set them on soft felt amazing:grin2:then adjusted tire pressure from 16 front to 10 and 18 rear to 12,gona go back to med setting lower tire pres now for big bumps next weekend

·
Registered
264 Posts
As many dealers have no idea how to set shocks up from factory, they are usually set VERY STIFF and the customer just rides the utv and never adjust them. In there opinion they don't want to break anything. adjusting them according to how a customer rides or showing the customers how to adjust them for a better ride would make a lot more people happy. I don't even take it for a ride before I adjust both spring preload and either compression or rebound or both if they have them. Most of the the factory springs are garbage....... They have way too much preload spring tension causing machines to buck in the rear over bumps. There are many aftermarket company's that offer springs that can be single or duel rate that will drastically improve your ride and or handling. Imo

I agree. I changed my stock springs on my XP 900 to Racer Tech dual rate springs and it was a huge improvement.

I called them a few weeks ago and they have not developed a set for the General yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts