Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a new issue with my 21 Crew, I took it in to a dealer for the first service & they also did the steering wheel recall/replacement. When I unloaded it at home I immediately noticed the steering wheel was significantly harder to turn to the point I thought power steering wasn’t working, I called the dealer and service manager assured me it was only the steering wheel that was touched but I have my doubts, they didn’t rotate tires and it is harder to steer when off ( so power steering is assisting) I’m just curious if anyone else has had this issue & if it was fixed?

·
Registered
2020XP4
2,118 Posts
My 18 G2 became harder to steer after a while of owning it. I don't remember a sudden change, just started noticing it was harder to steer. I was running 30" tires on 4+3 wheels. I chalked it up the larger contact patch of the tires and the additional leverage because of the wider stance. I guess I should have looked into it further, but we replaced the machine before it was an issue for me.

I did have an Aftermarket steering wheel, so the steering wheel had been replaced also. Coincidence?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you turn the key on and don’t start it up, the power steering assist will shut off after about five minutes. This function saves you from killing your battery and burning up your power assist steering system. If this your problem, then turn your key off for a minute and then start it up, your power assist steering should come back on, if not check your fuses.

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
2020XP4
2,118 Posts
I was under the impression he's referring to trying to steer when sitting still. When my 18 acted up, it was when you weren't moving that it was the issue. My experience was, the power steering was assisting, but very weak.

To the original post, I will recommend you test your battery. If you leave the machine sit for lengths of time, without a battery tender, it may be getting low on charge. I remember I had the hard steering after the machine had sat. The one night I had a heck of time with it trying to get turned around in the barnyard. It was kind of weak starting, I had the front light bar on, it was very cold. After I plugged it into the tender. I don't remember the steering acting up like that night after charging it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Two things come to mind.

The mechanic striking the upper shaft with a hammer, which is a big no no.
Or they damaged the steering shaft bushings.

The factory EPS unit is variable assist.
You get full assist sitting still, and it is reduced the faster you go.

If you turn the key to the on position, what does the steering wheel do, and how does it feel when you turn the wheel?

·
Registered
2021 Polaris General XP 1000 Deluxe
23 Posts
Same thing happened to my General after the steering wheel recall was done. I took it back to the dealer that did the recall he had it fixed in under an hour. He said it was something about the procedure to remove the steering wheel by striking the shaft with a hammer.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Cowboy0707,

I wonder how they fixed it without replacing the whole assembly?

Reactions: Buelligan666

·
Registered
2020 XP4
94 Posts
I removed my steering wheel myself to center it and experienced the same problem. I used a puller and an impact, I never struck the shaft.

The problem for me was that I overtightened the nut initially during re-assembly. I loosened it a whisker and all is fine...maybe give that a check.

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,813 Posts
My General's EPS is quite variable. At times it is like not having power steering, at other times it feels just like the 2011 pickups power steering.

But it never feels like the aftermarket power steering I put on my RZR 800. That unit was like an early 70's Chrysler unit. One finger was all it took, in any situation. Don't expect a Polaris EPS
to be like that. Ain't gonna happen.
Even on smooth concrete the General EPS can be tough to turn, while its making those beautiful black donies on the concrete.

Just sayin'
Pirate

·
Registered
10 Posts
My General's EPS is quite variable. At times it is like not having power steering, at other times it feels just like the 2011 pickups power steering.

But it never feels like the aftermarket power steering I put on my RZR 800. That unit was like an early 70's Chrysler unit. One finger was all it took, in any situation. Don't expect a Polaris EPS
to be like that. Ain't gonna happen.
Even on smooth concrete the General EPS can be tough to turn, while its making those beautiful black donies on the concrete.

Just sayin'
Pirate
Just wanted to let other steering wheel recall owners know that I called Polaris and inquired about the warranty time lost with the stop ride and they extended my warranty 3mo.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris General XP 1000 Deluxe
23 Posts
Just wanted to let other steering wheel recall owners know that I called Polaris and inquired about the warranty time lost with the stop ride and they extended my warranty 3mo.
Great idea. I hope all General owners follow your suggestion. I've already bought the extended warranty for 42 months based on this early recall and the problems of getting it resolved.

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,813 Posts
Having Shock Therapy install one of their Race Racks on Monday. The higher quality steels used, the faster ratio, the way the rack is lubricated. All lead me to think it's going to make for faster smoother steering!
Two weeks in AZ after the change...I'll post my thoughts!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.