Polaris General Forum banner

hard starting

32K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Trapper 
#1 ·
:frown2: ok im having a heck of a time with my general.
had it 4 months, when its cool 75 and below it will not start unless I hold the throttle down about half way it will pop(backfire) and then start, going to do fresh 93 octane fuel today and heat and octane booster. haven't had the 10 hour service done as I just got time to really play with it and work it ,.
once t starts it runs fine and starts ok after its warmed up.

Any thoughts ?

#3 ·
First welcome to the site Dfranklin58 !

Sorry to hear you are having problems!

I would get ahold of your dealer and have them check it out while it is under warranty! They are fuel injected and it sounds to me like you have a problem there or the air intake the computer uses a coolant temp sensor and others to do the work that a choke did on a carb. in the past. Do you have any lights on in the dash? have you been in a lot of dirt/dust maybe air filter plugged or restricted? can check that. Beyond that would let you dealer check it out and save yourself some head scratching. Besides under warranty will not cost you anything other then getting there! Keep us posted as to what is found!

#4 ·
My 2016 general and my 2013 rzr had the exact same issue. Took 30 minutes once to get my General started. Once started it ran fine and would start easily again. In both instances they needed a valve adjustment. The valve would not fully close so it could not get compression. Both ran great after that. Might not be it but its worth mentioning to the dealer. Good luck I know how frustrating it can be to track down problems on what should be a bulletproof machine.

#5 ·
heat is always a good additive anyway as I live in Missouri where it gets cold so any water is a bad thing.
the fuel is all in drove the wife around to see all I did with he skid-steer I borrowed. and it took about 30 minutes enough to burn out all the fuel in the filter etc. so ill see how it starts after it cools off tonight. as far as the valves that was what I was thinking just cant believe it needs the valves adjusted already. as far as the filter etc. it only has about 9 hours on it as it has been setting for a month or so off and on .
been working in the skid steer for the past few weekends. Thanks for the replies I'm going to make a appointment anyway for the 10 our service. and ill make sure and let him know about the starting problem.

cheers folks, it sure ain't my 2013 road glide.lol although it takes off faster than my hog does!

#7 ·
That's why I went and got new gas from the station instead of out of my barrel its only 6 months old but still. it runs fine in my mowers tractor and tiller chainsaw etc. but who knows. :rolleyes:
I'm hoping it was on the last bar so I filled it with 93 octane and a bottle of heat just Incas it had any water in it ., and the octane booster is just so I will run nicer and its also a cleaner. Ive had 3 polarizes in the past starting with the 500 sportsman and then the 500 ho and lastly it was the 700 prairie which was a beast. the general is one bad ass machine.

thank you for the input sir it is appreciated.
stupid question does the general have any skid plates on it at all now? what would you suggest for skid plates carriage and arms.

Don

#8 ·
Didn't state it sat for a month at first nor gas gauge at last bar makes since the fuel could be bad and that may be all it is!

Reactions: Trapper
#9 ·
Don,

Yes, your General has an OEM skid plate that covers from the round front frame cross tube to the rear rectangular frame cross tube I think those are the shapes of the frame tubes.

I would strongly suggest the Factory UTV 1/2" UHMW 3-piece skid set. It fits very well, it covers from the front bumper to the hitch receiver. And will take anything you can dish out!!

I also strongly recommend spending $60 for an ACCO "Rivit Nut" took and install 14 x 20 rivit nuts to hold the skid in place. Then no more bolts falling out, thread in the cage tube going bad...and it makes it so you can take the main skid out in about 15 minutes for maintenance or cleaning!!

A note on how I did mine...bolted the main skid to the frame with the original skid bolts. Then with it positioned correctly (stock bolt holes are a little sloppy)...use blue masking tape to hold the domed washer in place in the skid recesses. Use a center punch to go up through the center of the domed washer bolt hole and put a punch mark in the frame. I then drilled the holes with a 1/4" drill, then opened them up with a 3/8" drill...then remove the domed washer, put a rivit nut on the mandrel, put it up into the hole in the frame, and pinch it up. I used 1 1/4" long 1/4 x 20 grade 8 bolts. So I can just rattle 'em up with my DeWalt 1/4 drive impact and call it good!!

I put on a set of SuperATV high clearance front A-arms, so no Guards there. But did buy and install a set of 3/8" Factory UTV rear A-arm guards.

Just a whole bunch of thoughts...but have all the info if you like!

Pirate

#10 ·
Thanks pirate and first off it was bad gas the new gas and heat fixed the starting problem. sorry Ronnie for not posting it sat for month at first , second off thanks pirate for the reply oh skids,. I already have the nutsert tool and a bunch of nutsert. so that is what ill do. I have a set of transfer punches so that should be no big chore. Im not going to change the arms yet . now for the next question. how do I flip my profile pic so it is not sideways.! lo thanks all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.