Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I had hard shifting, engine dying When coming to a stop, all the problems so I changed out my one way bearing. It seemed to fix the problem, but know I’m back to the hard shifting problems.. am I missing something??

·
Registered
408 Posts
If you did it your self recheck every thing. Make sure the Spider Nut was loc-tighted and torqued to the proper spec. It could have backed off. Check the one way bearing again and see that it didn't lock up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you did it your self recheck every thing. Make sure the Spider Nut was loc-tighted and torqued to the proper spec. It could have backed off. Check the one way bearing again and see that it didn't lock up.
Yes I did do it myself, I will check. Everything was torqued to specs that I found 300/250 ft lbs and used 620 loc-tight ... i won’t be around it for a couple days but as soon as I am I will let you know what I find thanks .. was just making sure there isn’t anything else like a brake sensor or anything else that could cause this that I’m not aware of

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes I did do it myself, I will check. Everything was torqued to specs that I found 300/250 ft lbs and used 620 loc-tight ... i won’t be around it for a couple days but as soon as I am I will let you know what I find thanks .. was just making sure there isn’t anything else like a brake sensor or anything else that could cause this that I’m not aware of
Good luck ! Will most interested in what you find out. Look forward to what you learn on the subject. Sounds like you did every thing right.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
So perhaps now is the time to consider two more troubleshooting steps.

1.) Change the trans lube. For a good check. Clean the area around the drain plug thoroughly. Then place a clean, drain pan under the plug and drain the fluid. Place a "medium paint filter", a paper funnel with small opening mesh at the bottom. Pour the old lube through the filter and into whatever you dispose of your old oil in. Look at the drain plug magnet, bottom of the pan and inside of the paint filter. See anything more than a few tiny slivers of metal? Lots of slivers or chunks of metal? Might be time for a trans inspection. And a good time to get a set of Sandcraft drain plugs with the 10mm hex on the end.

2.) Inspect the shift cable. Unfortunately the way Polaris has the rubber sleeve on each end...there is no way to lubricate the cable. But on the shifter end, there is a ferule that keeps the cable rigid. that allows one to "push a rope" and shift gears. I changed a couple on my RXR 800. I have a brand new Polaris cable with a broken ferule. It happens. The adjustment of the cable is all at the transmission end. I had Mama in the drivers seat, I'd adjust the cable tighter in stages and see if that made it easier. NO? Then loosened it, in stages, to see if that made shifting easier. It did make
it a bit easier.

Reality...it was the Primary clutch one-way bearing.

Pirate

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So perhaps now is the time to consider two more troubleshooting steps.

1.) Change the trans lube. For a good check. Clean the area around the drain plug thoroughly. Then place a clean, drain pan under the plug and drain the fluid. Place a "medium paint filter", a paper funnel with small opening mesh at the bottom. Pour the old lube through the filter and into whatever you dispose of your old oil in. Look at the drain plug magnet, bottom of the pan and inside of the paint filter. See anything more than a few tiny slivers of metal? Lots of slivers or chunks of metal? Might be time for a trans inspection. And a good time to get a set of Sandcraft drain plugs with the 10mm hex on the end.

2.) Inspect the shift cable. Unfortunately the way Polaris has the rubber sleeve on each end...there is no way to lubricate the cable. But on the shifter end, there is a ferule that keeps the cable rigid. that allows one to "push a rope" and shift gears. I changed a couple on my RXR 800. I have a brand new Polaris cable with a broken ferule. It happens. The adjustment of the cable is all at the transmission end. I had Mama in the drivers seat, I'd adjust the cable tighter in stages and see if that made it easier. NO? Then loosened it, in stages, to see if that made shifting easier. It did make
it a bit easier.

Reality...it was the Primary clutch one-way bearing.

Pirate
Ok I’ll check the trans fluid. But for the linkage cable, if it shifts fine with the motor off I kinda feel that’s probably not it and can rule that out... correct me if I’m wrong

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
If it shifts just fine with the engine off...then it's probably in the CVT system.

When you had it apart, did you inspect all the Primary clutch components. And more importantly, are you "religious" about keeping the clutches clean. ie, blowing the dust out often in dusty conditions? In dusty conditions you can ruin a Primary clutch in less than a thousand miles...been there, done that...and then learned about keeping things clean.

Do use Outerwears over the under-the-hood CVT cooling air inlet? Do you have one of the Polaris Secondary CVT Cooling Air Inlet Frogzskin covers?

Just thoughts,

Pirate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts