Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use a Garmin because the forest service offers free trail map downloads in some areas. I mounted it in the big hole in the upper middle of the dash. Keeps most of the water off of it and offers shade so you can read the screen. Velcro and hole for the power cable keep it in place.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use a Montana 600 and really like it. I also mounted it in the dash in the big opening.

Not the best pic, was showing someone where I was mounting my XM radio in the opening to the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Galaxy 8 with back country navigator, took rear view mirror off and connected ram mount to rear view mirror arm.. used ram mount with the u bolts

·
Registered
99 Posts
7" Galaxy Tab 3, running Back Country Navigator, in a RAM mount attached to the center cubby.
I use this setup as well. Plus I carry a Garmin Rhino 650 with an OnX maps chip so I can access property ownership and game management unit boundaries. And the Garmin gives me radio communications to talk with and track my hunting/riding buddies.

Reactions: Steve

·
Registered
61 Posts
Took a gamble on the Magellan trx7. Had mixed reviews on it. But so far works great an no complaints
Not the greatest pic but mount to center opening in the back of the box. Used fender washers an a ram mount.

OFT

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
K

What do you use for software on your PC for planning trips, or downloading tracks of where you have been?

Just curious. I use Garmin BaseCamp for just about everything in planning and saving.

Pirate

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm looking for a clean way to mount my 7" tablet in the G. I don't want to drill holes in the cubby (how do you get that thing out anyway?) so I thought maybe Velcro was the answer. After all, the astronauts use it for everything. So I made a plywood piece (3/4") to fit in the bottom of the cubby and added two 2" strips of Velcro. Then added 1" strips of wood, with Velcro, to stick to the sides of the cubby to help hold the bottom piece in place. I installed my RAM mount with 7" tablet cradle onto to bottom piece of plywood. Well short result is it probably won't work. The Velcro just won't hold well enough to properly support the tablet. I am sure it will bounce around excessively when riding. I could mount it under the roof, but I prefer to have it at dash level if possible - less hassle with cords that way. Ride safe, ride insured,

Roy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Took a gamble on the Magellan trx7. Had mixed reviews on it. But so far works great an no complaints
Not the greatest pic but mount to center opening in the back of the box. Used fender washers an a ram mount.

OFT
Don't you get a lot of vibration and bouncing by mounting it to the plastic box? Also, it must be hard to tighten the wing-nut back inside that box. You are doing what I am trying to do, but also get a stable mount that you can see while riding without a bunch of jiggling around. Correct me if I am wrong. Ride safe, ride insured,

'Roy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't you get a lot of vibration and bouncing by mounting it to the plastic box? Also, it must be hard to tighten the wing-nut back inside that box. You are doing what I am trying to do, but also get a stable mount that you can see while riding without a bunch of jiggling around. Correct me if I am wrong. Ride safe, ride insured,

'Roy
I was able to reach in with a set of pliers an tightened it down. I forget what length I got but on the ram extension it was a 3 or 4". It doesn't vibrate much at all it fits the box up an down pretty good. So it limits most of it.

OFT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts