Polaris General Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Polaris General 2 seat Deluxe
9 Posts
So how do you tie down your General in the trailer?

Pirate
I just go around the front frame and tie down on trailer eyelets in the floor. Same on the back, but on the trailer hitch receiver. I’d probably block up tires if headed into the North Maine Woods.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
So you're using the system I've been using for ages...compressing the suspension to keep the machine in place.

That's why I'm moving to bonnets that go over the tire, tie down front and rear of each tire...then the General shouldn't move....

Pirate

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
So you're using the system I've been using for ages...compressing the suspension to keep the machine in place.

That's why I'm moving to bonnets that go over the tire, tie down front and rear of each tire...then the General shouldn't move....

Pirate
As I have traks the way I am going to try is 2" heavy duty straps the length of track to ez track, just not too tight to compress tracks too much. Then attach a safety to the eyelets in floor, not tight just as a safety.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Well...one of the two set ups needs to be tight. Otherwise, believe me, your machine will move around...and eventually (by experience) get looser and start banging into the walls and do damage
to the machine and trailer. Mine was the garage in the Toyhauler...that was expensive.

I added a D-ring in the center of the garage to hook the winch to and pull the suspension down half an inch or so.

Pirate

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a new Enclosed Trailer arriving in February and I’ve decided to go with the E Track Rails mounting the Rails the width of the UTV Tires. I’m thinking with Wheel Strap Bonnets and Front Wheel Chocks the Tires need to sit right on top of the Rails for this securing method. On my previous Enclosed trailer I used the 4 D Ring Mounts and strapped to the Hitch Mount and the Front Center Point and I wasn’t pleased with how the General still walked a little, it was better after I installed the Springy Brakey Thingy though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well...one of the two set ups needs to be tight. Otherwise, believe me, your machine will move around...and eventually (by experience) get looser and start banging into the walls and do damage
to the machine and trailer. Mine was the garage in the Toyhauler...that was expensive.

I added a D-ring in the center of the garage to hook the winch to and pull the suspension down half an inch or so.

Pirate
Yes for sure. Got to test it out, I have been driving 50-100km and checking straps, they seem to be holding on the tracks to e track. Do not want to see damage. Took it out to lake ice fishing and dam this thing moves with the tracks on the lake. Soo happy! The upper doors fit nice now and it is nice and warm in there. Going to set up Gmaps on phone to see exactly how fast i am going as tracks show alot faster than i am really going.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Snapshot,

In my old trailer and will in the new trailer put the E-track right down the center of the tires. That centers the bonnet on the tire and the clips at the end centered on the tire.

Then for sure the bonnets won't move.

Pirate

·
Registered
900 Posts
One thing I like about bonnets is that they let the machine ride on the suspension and not keep it compressed.

And if anyone is like me who hates when other vehicles decide that driving right beside your trailer is where they want to be, a little side move of the steering when the the machine starts swaying, they move.

One question I do have and I have done it both ways, do you put the transmission in Park or Neutral. I have read that if left in P, since the machine can move, it is not good for the transmission.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Herdfan,

I never put the machine in Park. That's what I have a Spring Brake Thingy for.

I'm like you, since losing the vision in my left eye, back in May 2008, I refuse to let people drive in my blind spot, that is on my blindside. So I either speed up or slow down and get them off my left side. Probably going to be worse with the new motorhome an enclosed trailer. But then again, it comes with an air horn...pull down on the air horn lever...move left a little bit...and hopefully they'll get the message.

I do not think it is good to have the suspension compressed...so this will be my first chance to eliminate that!

Pirate

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks Pirate for the E Track location placement. As per putting the General in Park or Neutral since I purchased the Springy Brakey Thingy I now place the General in Neutral. I'm hoping the Wheel Chocks plus the Bonnets reduce any movement while traveling.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts