Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides cost, What are your opinions on window choice for trail riding? I know glass won't scratch as easy but will it hold up without cracking on trail riding?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well Alaskan47 that is what the 100 horses are for. lol. i bought the full poly for the durability of it. but if gets scratched too easily i will build one from the frame i have. I'm not going to spend over a grand for something i can build.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had a glass tip out on my Ranger for 1200 miles of trail riding and loved it. I had the hard poly first, and the hinge broke. It was covered under warranty so I upgraded to glass when replacing. You have to be real careful with the hard poly. It will scratch when cleaning. I choose glass for my new General. Just like a car windshield.

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was thinking about the one with that flips up but wondering how hard it will be to remove. I noticed there is some drilling to get in mounted but haven't seen one yet to see how it actually mounts in.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was thinking about the one with that flips up but wondering how hard it will be to remove. I noticed there is some drilling to get in mounted but haven't seen one yet to see how it actually mounts in.
I ordered my glass tip out windshield but not here yet. I had the tip out on the Ranger and I imagine this will be the same. It is not designed to remove easily as it required unbolting the hinges and support arms. The windshield has 3 positions. Closed, full open or tipped up a few inches to let air in. I really like the glass as it does not scratch like the hard poly. Only downsides I experienced with the Ranger are some added weight, cost, and the fact that everything that hits the hood, ends up coming at you. Still I think its the best option. I put 1400 miles on my Ranger trail riding. No problems and not breaks or chips.

Reactions: lniemeyer2

·
PolarisGeneralForum.com Vendor
227 Posts
How often does a glass windshield crack or chip anyways?
Polaris has a break rate of approx. 60% on its glass windshields. Some of the larger dealers have glass companies come by twice a week just to fix them. Granted most of the breakage occurs during shipping. Glass does do a better job of not collecting dust, and when it does you just wipe it off with whatever you can find with no fear of scratching. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Depends on what you plan to do with your General and where you plan to go. IMO, glass is better. More scratch resistant and even if the polycarb windshield looks like it's not scratched much, once the sunlight hits it, you'll see cobwebs of scratches. As for the break rate, it should last you as long as you drive carefully, no need to ride right into a tree branch sticking out at full speed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I saw that extreme metal products is now offering a polycarbonate front and back windshield. All depends on what your looking for I guess , but for a guy lookin to save a buck this might be worth looking into . Lot cheaper than the polaris lock n ride. Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I ordered the glass tip out the dealer is installing and he told me it is not something that you can just remove like the lock and ride stuff. I had a half poly on my RZR and it scratched easily. I hope to have this weekend I will update if I have problems.

·
1,563 Posts
Got my glass tip out windshield today. Hopefully have this rig all buttoned up soon. Waiting on the opening door upper Windows when they come out. Already paid the dealer for them so I want Polaris to spank their pony and get em up here!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well Alaskan47 that is what the 100 horses are for. lol. i bought the full poly for the durability of it. but if gets scratched too easily i will build one from the frame i have. I'm not going to spend over a grand for something i can build.
i used to be like you but i have more money than time

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was co-pilot this weekend in a friends RZR. He has the factory Polaris poly windshield. It fits great and doesn't seem to scratch easily, but the one complaint I have (compared to my glass windshield) is the glare. When driving into the direction of the sun, it was difficult to see through the glare of the poly windshield. It was even worse when the windshield had dust on it.

My glass windshield was automotive safety glass with a tint. This is likely why there was no glare on my windshield.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Got my glass tip out windshield today. Hopefully have this rig all buttoned up soon. Waiting on the opening door upper Windows when they come out. Already paid the dealer for them so I want Polaris to spank their pony and get em up here!
I like the tip out window but I got to say my wife can not unlatch it and it is even harder to latch. The dealer said there is a metal plate under the dash. I am waiting for the dash to crack opening and closing this. It snaps very hard.
Also on another subject I hope the shifter gets easier she has a lot of trouble shifting it is so tight. I have a little trouble shifting into high. when you shift it is better then the RZR there is no in-between gear noise.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts