Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I CANNOT make up mind which direction to go. I have read countless posts/videos from Pirate and Todd at HW and many others about clutching and Engine ECU tuning. I've read so many posts that I have changed my mind 20 times. Right when I think I have made up my mind, I read something else that makes me pause.

I have a 2018 G4 1000. I have 30" Tusk Terrabites

I ride pavement, country roads and woodland trails.

I like riding in High (easier on the db level for my passengers) gear and I usually ride in that 20-30mph range.

I am leaning towards the GI kit due to wanting to eliminate the EBS with their Boss Helix (and it doesn't hurt that it's a lot easier on the wallet). I know some of you love the EBS....I can't stand it.

Therefore, I am asking those of you that have experience with these specific kits, which way would you lean if you were me?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I initially installed the Gilomen elite kit (non adjustable) w the Gilomen tune. I recently installed the Blackmax, mudder spring, & EBS helix.
I haven’t played w any adjustments other than what Terry preset it to, but I don’t notice any big difference. ( slight differences, but nothing to brag about)

IMO, start w the Gilomen tune. You’ll be impressed. If you feel you want more after that, then decide on a clutch. I don’t think I’ve ever read a negative word bout Duraclutch on this forum. Well, cept the price.
Pay to play!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree with Rudy. I had GI tune my ECU, and stayed with OEM clutching. Made a world of difference, especially at the bottom end in low, but also stays in the power band longer in hi. Another advantage is the lowering of the fan set points. Factory has the fan on at 205, GI fan on at 190. Love it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I made the switch to 30" tires, I also decided to upgrade the clutch. I went with the SLP High Load (4500+ altitude) Kit, new Team Tied Driven secondary clutch and Polaris 3211180 belt. Made a noticeable difference in power transfer. Felt under powered before the change with stock tires. The low end had much more power and grab and more torque through higher speeds. A couple months later I decided to add the GI tune. That made it really come alive. Powered up sand hills in St George that gave me trouble before. Given your riding style, I would say you would probably benefit more from the clutch kit, spring and helix, but the GI tune is just so much fun and keeps it cooler. I would highly recommend both the GI tune and a clutch kit. You won't regret either upgrade.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
770 Posts
It is all going to depend on how you ride. I bought the Gilomen ECU and clutch kit only to learn the kit was designed for high speed driving, not for trails through the woods.

I messed with the Gilomen kit adjusting weights but was never able to get it where I wanted it. Got the DC and am quite happy with it.

If the Gilomen kit suits your type of riding, I have one I will sell you. Has maybe 100 miles on it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is all going to depend on how you ride. I bought the Gilomen ECU and clutch kit only to learn the kit was designed for high speed driving, not for trails through the woods.

I messed with the Gilomen kit adjusting weights but was never able to get it where I wanted it. Got the DC and am quite happy with it.

If the Gilomen kit suits your type of riding, I have one I will sell you. Has maybe 100 miles on it.
That's why I posted my riding style in the OP.

I drive at about 25mph max on flat county roads.

I drive woodland trails too. But nothing of much difficulty.

·
Registered
770 Posts
That's why I posted my riding style in the OP.

I drive at about 25mph max on flat county roads.

I drive woodland trails too. But nothing of much difficulty.
Then I would think a simple EBS delete secondary would be all you need. You wouldn't gain anything from a kit.

I ride mostly HM and TN which are rocky mountainous trails. The DC shines on this type of terrain, but other than much smoother starts probably wouldn't benefit you.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Dr,
Again, for your style of riding, get the GI program on your ECU. Tell Terry what size tires...I think he has a questionnaire, fill it out as best your can.

With out a doubt you are a top candidate for a DuraClutch kit. Installing one, you will simply be amazed!!

Pirate

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m running the GI tune and clutch kit on my general xp. The first helix that came with the kit I was not happy with. Wouldn’t hold rpm and just didn’t seem to pull. I played with weight placement and moved weight all over with his adjustable weights. No go. I then saw on his website that he came out with a helix just for the xp beings It has bigger tires. Waaaaaaayyyy better. In a flat drag race vs a rzr xp 1000 4 im neck and neck with it.
So in all I think the GI kit works great

·
Registered
1 Posts
I CANNOT make up mind which direction to go. I have read countless posts/videos from Pirate and Todd at HW and many others about clutching and Engine ECU tuning. I've read so many posts that I have changed my mind 20 times. Right when I think I have made up my mind, I read something else that makes me pause.

I have a 2018 G4 1000. I have 30" Tusk Terrabites

I ride pavement, country roads and woodland trails.

I like riding in High (easier on the db level for my passengers) gear and I usually ride in that 20-30mph range.

I am leaning towards the GI kit due to wanting to eliminate the EBS with their Boss Helix (and it doesn't hurt that it's a lot easier on the wallet). I know some of you love the EBS....I can't stand it.

Therefore, I am asking those of you that have experience with these specific kits, which way would you lean if you were me?
I installed the ECU tune, Adjustable clutch kit and then the Helix. The adjustable kit makes all the difference in the world. I was not impressed at first but I worked with Terry to get the right weight combo for my altitude (3500 to 5500). Once I was happy with that, I put in the helix. Yes the helix eliminate the EBS (which makes it so much nicer to come down hills or decel on loose gravel or snow) it also helps keep the engine in the meat of the power band throughout. I love my set up. Huge difference for my riding style. That being said, I recommend calling Terry and telling him what you are looking to achieve. For your riding style, he may just suggest a clutch kit, helix and rear spring for the 30's.
My ride is a 2019 General 2 seat. Stock tires for now. When these wear out, I'll go to 30's and change the secondary spring per Terry's recommendation.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
nah, Terry will either just recommend the Misfire Detection fix or his full program...which is awesome.

Every ECU since mid 2017 has the same ECU program and has the over sensitive Misfire Detection. As I say, you never know when it raises it's ugly head. But as soon as it occurs...you'll know what the solution is!!

Pirate

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Terry reccomend the 60/66 non EBS helix and the mudder spring. Could still add the tuning if I wanted, but I'm not a guy that needs top end power.

For 100 bucks, I'll try the helix to see what it does.

I imagine I'll end up going GI tune and a duraclutch eventually, but I'd like to see what this non EBS helix does.

Yes, I know it will have to come off when I eventually go with the DC.

Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Corbo1962

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The complete GI ECU program is not about top end power. You'll find the machine running better and cooler all the way through the powerband.

Try it, you'll like it!

Pirate

·
Registered
61 Posts
just curious about Gl tune if my general is still under warranty going with a Gl tune how will that affect the warranty, are you able to flash it back to factory before taking it back. or does doing this just void the warranty all together.

·
Registered
36 Posts
just curious about Gl tune if my general is still under warranty going with a Gl tune how will that affect the warranty, are you able to flash it back to factory before taking it back. or does doing this just void the warranty all together.
I purchased an additional ECU from Gilomen for my tune. I have the extended warranty and wanted to be able to put the stock ECU back in the machine if I need to take it in for service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts