Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 General XP Super Graphite
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the General XP comes with 15" wheels, which kind of limits my tire choices. The enclosed trailer I'm buying leaves me with less than an inch with the stock 30" Crawler's so really don't want anything bigger than 30", a friend has the same trailer and we tested it last weekend when I broke the XP in.

I talked to the parts manager at my dealer and he wasn't sure a 14" would clear on the General XP, are the brakes on the Xp the same on the non XP's? he wasn't sure.
14" wheels give me all the options I want, if I stick with 15's I'm probably going to stick with the crawler XG's but buy 4 rears instead of the XGF's.
(found this old review of the XG's before the XGF's were made, nobody ever had any issue with steering before Pro Armor Crawler XG Review )

·
Registered
1 Posts
So the General XP comes with 15" wheels, which kind of limits my tire choices. The enclosed trailer I'm buying leaves me with less than an inch with the stock 30" Crawler's so really don't want anything bigger than 30", a friend has the same trailer and we tested it last weekend when I broke the XP in.

I talked to the parts manager at my dealer and he wasn't sure a 14" would clear on the General XP, are the brakes on the Xp the same on the non XP's? he wasn't sure.
14" wheels give me all the options I want, if I stick with 15's I'm probably going to stick with the crawler XG's but buy 4 rears instead of the XGF's.
(found this old review of the XG's before the XGF's were made, nobody ever had any issue with steering before Pro Armor Crawler XG Review )
Parts guy at my dealer told me last week that 14" wheels won't clear the brake rotor. Had to be 15"

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
If you only have an inch clearance in an enclosed trailer how might i ask are you getting out of it?

·
Registered
2021 General XP Super Graphite
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1" clearance height on the ramp opening, 8.5" width trailer is plenty wide.

So I guess the XP has different brakes than the standard General Premium/Deluxe then since they come with 14's.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts

So I guess the XP has different brakes than the standard General Premium/Deluxe then since they come with 14's.
The XP does have larger brakes. The standard General can take 12" rims, like the sport version. It often comes with 14" rims. From what my dealer told me, the XP will not take the 12" wheels due to the larger brakes. It will however take the 14" wheels, at least that's what my dealer told me.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts

Now that makes more sense. Must have been another senior moment for me.
Wish one of our enclosed trailers was 8.5 wide and the next one will be. Because i am not getting any smaller in my old age!

·
Registered
83 Posts
How bout pre loading the suspension with ratchet straps to get it in the trailer then releasing straps once it's in?

·
Registered
132 Posts
How bout pre loading the suspension with ratchet straps to get it in the trailer then releasing straps once it's in?
I tried that with my 2018 G2. The front pulled down 3-4”, but I couldn’t get an inch pulled down with 2800lbs straps. I’ve got the OEM Fox adjustable shocks on mine. In the end I flattened the tires and loaded it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
I tried that with my 2018 G2. The front pulled down 3-4”, but I couldn’t get an inch pulled down with 2800lbs straps. I’ve got the OEM Fox adjustable shocks on mine. In the end I flattened the tires and loaded it.

Edit, the rear couldn’t be pulled down an inch...

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Way more tire options out there with 15'' wheels and going to be way more in the future.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had the same height issue with my old Haulmark trailer when I bought my General 4 XP. I traded it for another Haulmark with a 84" header height and every thing clears well width my 40 inch dual row combo Black Oak Light bar on top. Yes the new one is a wide body. I would not go any other way.

·
Registered
2020 General XP Ride Command
3 Posts
Do they need to be a certain offset?? Will a 6+1 14" wheel work or should it be like a 5+2 or a 4+3 to work??
I think they should work. I went to a 14in wheel cuz I want more sidewall when I air down to 3 pounds in the winter. I went with 14in 550 vision wheels -10 offset and 32x10x14 maxxis carnivore tires. Ran them last winter and did pretty good in the snow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts