Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I recently serviced (changed all fluids) and cleaned all my battery and solenoid terminals after mudding. Shortly thereafter my general wouldn’t shut off after starting/running...it makes the starting noise with the key in the off position. If I hit on the solenoid it’ll shut off so I replaced the solenoid thinking it was stuck in the open position...no luck. Sometimes it’ll shut off fine, but the majority of times it doesn’t. I’m about to buy a new ignition switch and see if that solves my problem. Any ideas or suggestions? I’m wondering if I don’t fix the issue will it burn up my starter?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Try unplugging the ign switch when it's happening and see if it stops could be a deeper issue then the switch ...did u get mud into the ign switch area ....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try unplugging the ign switch when it's happening and see if it stops could be a deeper issue then the switch ...did u get mud into the ign switch area ....

I’ll try that! No mud up to the ignition switch.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I’ll try that! No mud up to the ignition switch.
I could see the switch being messed up if it was wet but I would say it's not the problem and something else is going on but disconnecting the switch will answer that .....

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Did you use a power washer when you cleaned it?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
It would seem that...somehow...you've gotten water, conductive debris, something that is shorting across the ignition switch.

Polaris ignition switch just don't fail very often. Actually have never heard of one that really did fail.

Time for a closer look at the switch and its wiring.

Let us know if you find something! Another chance to learn!

Pirate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would seem that...somehow...you've gotten water, conductive debris, something that is shorting across the ignition switch.

Polaris ignition switch just don't fail very often. Actually have never heard of one that really did fail.

Time for a closer look at the switch and its wiring.

Let us know if you find something! Another chance to learn!

Pirate
Im wondering if it’s a grounding issue. Most people have problems with them not starting, little info out there on not shutting off.
Anyone have an ignition wiring schematic? There’s 4 wires coming out of the ignition, and 2 at the solenoid pin. Also trying to find the ignition relay location; checked the fuse box and they all looked good. I’ve watched a video where they made a new switch that plugged into the 2 pin at the solenoid, not sure if that’d solve my issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven’t had much time to figure out the problem...new ignition switch didn’t fix the issue. I started it tonight and took some videos to send to a buddy; first start when cold went status quo, fired up fine and shut off no issue. 2nd time it started fine, I unplugged the ignition wire at the solenoid and the starter tried to stay engaged but it shut off on its own. 3rd time started fine, tried to turn off with everything plugged in and the starter stayed engaged; had to knock solenoid to get it to shut off.
My buddy thinks it may be the starter bendix? Anyone have an idea why it shut off when I disconnected the 2prong ignition wire that goes to the solenoid? Was trying to upload the video but could only get this picture; did I reconnect the wires to the solenoid correctly? Battery cable on bottom and starter cable on top?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Hmmm...

So the problem isn't the machine won't shut off, it's that the starter stays engaged with the flywheel after the engine starts?

So if you remove the hot wire from the solenoid. Turn the key to "ON", then touch the hot wire to the solenoid terminal and turn key to "START".
turn the key to "OFF". Is the starter still engaged? Pull the hot wire away from the terminal on the solenoid.
Does the starter disengage? If "YES" then it's likely the solenoid. If "NO" then it's likely the starter bendix.

Just a couple troubleshooting steps..

Pirate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts