Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The General has been discussed at length here and elsewhere as it relates to the RZR XP and S models but I cannot help but think there are many potential Ranger defectors out there, including myself.

We know the General suspension is largely based on the RZR S 1000 but how does that suspension compare to Rangers? I put 2,000 miles of very rocky mountainous driving each year and most of that is used hunting, scouting, running trail cameras, etc - purpose driven driving. For a guy who wants to move more comfortably over rough terrain is the General a big improvement over the Ranger?

I have almost 20,000 miles of Ranger driving but have only driven a rzr 800 once many years ago. I am most interested in hearing discussion from those who have seat time in Rangers and the General.

·
Registered
162 Posts
there is no comparison,this is exactly why i bought mine::smile2:rides better,handles rocks,ruts bumps or anything else alot smoother than my 900 ranger.i do have the deluxe with the fox shocks.the seats are way more comfortable,i miss the bed size and will see what happens when a elk or 2 are put on the general.i had a front rack on my ranger and will build one soon for my general,and a rear rack to add carrying capabilities.myself and the 3 or buddies of mine that have had a chance to ride in both now would pick the general every time.big improvement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. Exactly what I am looking for.

I too am interested in how it will handle a full elk. I figure I need to use the bed extender full time because I use a larger yeti, spare tire, and carry two large packs with optics and gear. I really don't want to be forced to debone elk in the field to get it back in one trip.

Also, how is the noise level compared to the Ranger 900? I like being able to have full conversations driving and not scaring every animal for a half mile. Is the General considerably louder? RZR loud?

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
See my reply on this post
http://www.polarisgeneralforum.com/forum/polaris-general-1000-general-discussion/2658-ok-i-do-want-general-but.html#post28706

The ride and comfort is what drew me to the General from the Ranger. I think you will be very happy with the improvement. This is hard, because you really don't know til you have some miles on them, and you can't do that enough without buying one. I was torn as well, but very happy.

I don't have the full cab on the General, like I did with the Ranger, but the General is a little louder. Still you can talk over it. My wife says its not louder, but I think it is so not much if any I guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In my opinion and I have had 5 rangers, the general is smoother when your hitting huge bumps or hauling ass, but we check cattle and cruise with our machines for the most part and the ranger is hands down a better ride at slow speeds. Part of the reason I think is the suspension on generals is performance based and is not designed for going slow. The other reason is the general seats make you sit against the back rest and you feel every bump vs the ranger where your sitting upright and your back is floating more or less not absorbing the movement. Anyone with a general just lean forward and feel the difference in how much smoother it is. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Exactly what I am looking for.

I too am interested in how it will handle a full elk. I figure I need to use the bed extender full time because I use a larger yeti, spare tire, and carry two large packs with optics and gear. I really don't want to be forced to debone elk in the field to get it back in one trip.

Also, how is the noise level compared to the Ranger 900? I like being able to have full conversations driving and not scaring every animal for a half mile. Is the General considerably louder? RZR loud?
It will handle an elk buddy. I have many in my Commander, same type of design.

Reactions: Trapper
1 - 9 of 9 Posts