Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently started looking around for ATV's. A buddy of mine that owns an RZR suggested I look into the new General among other ATV's on the new ATV market.

Once decided on an ATV, i'll be looking forward to hitting the trails and some 10 acre property we have with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also in the market for a sxs. I like the ranger 900 xp but don't really have the need for how heavy it weighs to the utility side except for when I'm hunting. I did own a Rzr 900 xp but wasn't a fan of the low seating position and the lack of cargo carry capacity for the fall. I think the general will defiantly fit the bill. Plus It has a 100hp. Who wouldn't like that. Just wondering if the General seating position will be the same as the Razor. Therefore I keep going back to the ranger. Does anyone have a Ranger and how do u like it? How is the new General seating position?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a 2014 Ranger XP900. I like it, but have been doing more trail riding than work so looking into the General Deluxe. I want the fox shocks for a better ride, better engine braking, and more comfortable seats. My Ranger has bench seat and you sit very upright. Its an easy in and out and good for work, but when I trail ride for 8 hours, my back suffers and my legs are stiff. I drove a General for about 5 minutes today that the Rep brought by the local dealer. It was the Premium Blue one, not the Deluxe that I am interested in. Power was very good. Engine braking was excellent. I never free-wheeled like my Ranger did. The new cab design is amazing and very comfortable. The bucket seats are wider than the RZR, and sat somewhere between the RZR and Ranger in height.

Before the General, I was going to buy a RZR S 1000 and keep my Ranger for work. Now, I am thinking of trading the Ranger (or selling it), and buying a General instead. I'm trying to figure out why I would want a RZR over a General? Anyone have thoughts?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks for sharing your test ride thoughts. I'm in the same boat as you. Sold my RZR 900s and was going to get the 1000s but after seeing the General on line I think I it suits me so much better. Same suspension as my RZR, More horsepower and torque, dump bed, hard cab option which would be great in winter, and from what you say, A very comfortable cab. I'm just waiting for a dealer to get one in to test drive

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks BlueBass. In my opinion the razor leans to more trail riding then a ranger is work if that makes since. I think if you are only going to do about 10% work max and don't need a dump bed, just maybe pulling a trailer for some light work, the RZR would be perfect. I had a razor and it was great but when it came to transporting all my hunting gear for my annual wall tent hunt it lacked the cargo space. (Many trips to and from the truck and camp site). Also the dumping box and the more upright position of the general sounds way better to me. For me I never do any extreme jumping, dune riding or rock climbing where I think the rzr excels at so I sold it and have been looking at the ranger until the release of the General 1000. Now with your recent comments about the seating position, I am more convinced its my next SXS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am probably driving my salesman at the Polaris dealership nuts. I have been out there 4 times trying to figure out if I want a RZR or General. I am 6'3" tall with a 34" inseam. The General doesn't force my left leg back like the RZR. The General is much easier to get in and out of. They both have similar suspension and the same tires. The General seat is probably a little higher, but not by more than an inch or two. The seats are much more comfortable than the RZR seats (wider). The General has arm rests, although they are too low to be of much use to me (need to glue pads to them to make them higher). I can rest my arm on the top of the RZR door, but the shape of the top of the General door makes that uncomfortable. The RZR looks more bad ass, but I am getting to old to care. The General doors are wider than the wheels, they WILL get damaged more easily for that reason. The roll cage on the General is wider (more protective of the head in case of rollover). Every General I have looked at had the winch cable rubbing on the breather tube on the front differential. This needs to be modded or you will end up with water in the differential after it wears through. Bottom line. I still can't decide.

·
Super Moderator
2,983 Posts
First of all, welcome carlrbrugger.

I think it'll come down to what will best fit your needs.

I started out looking at RZRs myself, but once the General came out, I knew it would be a better fit. My main focus is trail riding, but the unavoidable yard work always comes up. The General is better suited to that, and was a good selling point to the wife, which made it even easier.

·
1,560 Posts
Carlbrugger, Welcome. You make some good points but the decision comes down to what you want to do with it. I have people here where I live that own RZR and once they saw the General it was a forehead slapping moment. It is what they wanted but wasn't available before. The general is better fit for fun and work. Mostly fun! I can hang with any RZR here on the trail. I have the Deluxe with fox shocks and I love it. Nothing wrong with any model. The tube off the diff case is a minor fix. Having the wider door for me means cabin space you wont get in the RZR. A box I can haul stuff in a big plus. Eventually when the glass door uppers get finished, a completely enclosed, heated with music with windshield wiper, comfortable, trail eating, hill climbing ANIMAL! And where else would you find such a great group of guys!
Want to look Bad ass or be bad ass! I think I got both. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Carlbrugger, Welcome. You make some good points but the decision comes down to what you want to do with it. I have people here where I live that own RZR and once they saw the General it was a forehead slapping moment. It is what they wanted but wasn't available before. The general is better fit for fun and work. Mostly fun! I can hang with any RZR here on the trail. I have the Deluxe with fox shocks and I love it. Nothing wrong with any model. The tube off the diff case is a minor fix. Having the wider door for me means cabin space you wont get in the RZR. A box I can haul stuff in a big plus. Eventually when the glass door uppers get finished, a completely enclosed, heated with music with windshield wiper, comfortable, trail eating, hill climbing ANIMAL! And where else would you find such a great group of guys!
Thanks for the welcome!
What I want is the comfort of the General, but I hope it doesn't give up too much in the way of performance. A sticker in the RZR 900s has warnings about speed limits if payload is over 430lbs. The sticker covers all the SxS's I am considering.
RZR 43mph
General 43mph
RZR S 62mph
RZR XP 55mph
It makes me wonder if the RZR S is the most stable of the 4 (or maybe there is a different reason for the differences)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for the welcome!
What I want is the comfort of the General, but I hope it doesn't give up too much in the way of performance. A sticker in the RZR 900s has warnings about speed limits if payload is over 430lbs. The sticker covers all the SxS's I am considering.
RZR 43mph
General 43mph
RZR S 62mph
RZR XP 55mph
It makes me wonder if the RZR S is the most stable of the 4 (or maybe there is a different reason for the differences)

the performance of the rzr s I'm assuming you are talking about the rzr 1000s trail is very comparable with the general. just as much get up and go just a little more top heavy but you get used to it pretty fast. you can not go wrong with the general.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Bear you would be bad ass with or with out the general. lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would say your top speed with a heavy load would depend on the load itself and how it's tied down. My speed would also depend on the trail / road and my driving experience. I wouldn't let recommended speed influence your decision for which sxs to buy. Again it's the kind of riding you intend to do. The General is a better choice if you intend to do any work with the vehicle. Its sounds like you will be hauling a heavy load over a long distance if you're contemplainting recommended top speed with a load on the different machines. The rzr's aren't really intended for work. They are for the most part 100% sport, while the General is classified as Sport Utility. I think the torque curves are slightly different between the machines also. The General should have more torque for towing and hauling heavy loads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts