Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well do you suppose a General would perform snow plow duties?

I mulling over options to deal with snow. Two long driveways and 1/4 mile dirt drive to my gate...I know, I know...ya gotta get on it early but still, do you think a General would handle 6" or would it be a dismal disappointment??

·
Registered
374 Posts
How well do you suppose a General would perform snow plow duties?

I mulling over options to deal with snow. Two long driveways and 1/4 mile dirt drive to my gate...I know, I know...ya gotta get on it early but still, do you think a General would handle 6" or would it be a dismal disappointment??

I use my RZR to plow the driveway to my cottage (300 + feet), plus I plow a track around the property for my nephew to ride his Outlaw 50, and I clear a 30' x 60' skating rink on the lake. I don't get to the cottage every weekend, so the last time I plowed, there was almost 12" of snow with drifts up to 2'. The RZR had no problem with this at all, so I suspect the General will be the same or better.

I have the 66" Pro Poly Plow for my General. Still debating on the tracks. I'm thinking they will help when plowing the rink.

The plow has been at the dealer since early January, but at the rate Polaris is shipping these Generals out, I don't think plowing will be a concern for me this year. :crying:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just drove by my local dealer here in town and they have a blue general with a roof, tip-out glass windshield and a glass back glass. It has a winch too, is that standard?

That dude would be $20k, tough sell to mama...Maybe I'll put her on the snow shovel. lol

·
1,560 Posts
Just drove by my local dealer here in town and they have a blue general with a roof, tip-out glass windshield and a glass back glass. It has a winch too, is that standard?

That dude would be $20k, tough sell to mama...Maybe I'll put her on the snow shovel. lol
Roof and winch is.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I use my RZR to plow the driveway to my cottage (300 + feet), plus I plow a track around the property for my nephew to ride his Outlaw 50, and I clear a 30' x 60' skating rink on the lake. I don't get to the cottage every weekend, so the last time I plowed, there was almost 12" of snow with drifts up to 2'. The RZR had no problem with this at all, so I suspect the General will be the same or better.

I have the 66" Pro Poly Plow for my General. Still debating on the tracks. I'm thinking they will help when plowing the rink.

The plow has been at the dealer since early January, but at the rate Polaris is shipping these Generals out, I don't think plowing will be a concern for me this year. :crying:
I have used my 570 rzr for plowing 6-10'' my 300' drive the last 3 years with very little problem. It could of used a little more power. My new general has no problem pushing 6'' of snow even slipping in the ice. I am anxious to try a 12'' snow fall with the general.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
I for one am very disappointed in the snow plow option for the General. It only is 66" wide and not built near as good as the Ranger plow systems which are 72" and beefed up. I even considered trying to adapt my Ranger blade over to it, but would have been way too hard the way the blade mounts to the mount. What stinks about it, is that at 66" it will barely take out the tracks with the blade straight, but won't even do that when you angle it.

I'm going to add 8-9" extensions to each side in a 22 degree angle like some larger snow plows. I'm sure it will take a little time and engineering, but I think it shouldn't be too difficult. I know the General will handle it.

Let me know if anyone has done anything similar.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I for one am very disappointed in the snow plow option for the General. It only is 66" wide and not built near as good as the Ranger plow systems which are 72" and beefed up. I even considered trying to adapt my Ranger blade over to it, but would have been way too hard the way the blade mounts to the mount. What stinks about it, is that at 66" it will barely take out the tracks with the blade straight, but won't even do that when you angle it.

I'm going to add 8-9" extensions to each side in a 22 degree angle like some larger snow plows. I'm sure it will take a little time and engineering, but I think it shouldn't be too difficult. I know the General will handle it.

Let me know if anyone has done anything similar.
I tried to get the 72" Ranger blade too. Dealer has one in stock but when we compared to the 66" General blade, it wasn't worth the amount of work required.

My buddy has a pipe bender, so I'm looking at bending some simple tubing and screwing puck board to it to make a set of side wings.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The plow mount cross references with rangers and rzr 900 so I'm theory one of those with 72 inch blade option should work
Should have noted there's also a $260 price difference between the 66" blade and the 72" blade.

I'm sure there's women out there that would pay $260 for an extra 6", but I'm not!! >:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently have a '14 RZR 800 XC, and I put a 66" Denali plow on it. I'm tossing around the idea of trading it off for a General but I don't want to have to buy a whole new plow setup. Do you guys know if they make a mounting kit for the General or is it the same by chance? I didn't come up with much on my search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, since I posted this thread several months ago, I solved my snow plow/pushing/removal problem...Picked up an AMAZINGLY new/used 2004 John Deere 210LE...for LESS than the price of a frigg'n general...Ritchie Auction in Sacremento for $12,000.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, since I posted this thread several months ago, I solved my snow plow/pushing/removal problem...Picked up an AMAZINGLY new/used 2004 John Deere 210LE...for LESS than the price of a frigg'n general...Ritchie Auction in Sacremento for $12,000.

True but can you drift around a corner at 40mph with a buddy in that thing! hahaha :surprise::grin2:

·
Super Moderator
4,144 Posts
And bye the looks of it could build one **** of a track to play with general on! :grin2:

Reactions: gmman5
1 - 20 of 22 Posts