Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a General 4 once dealer has some in stock. I have a 12 ft trailer and obviously the General is about 6 inches too long. My question is will I have enough space if I back the General on the trailer? I can't seem to find a dimension for how much the bed overhangs. Thanks everyone. Looking forward to the General.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I do haul my G4 on a 12ft trailer. It's tight but fits. I did have to modify my trailer's tailgate so it lays back more otherwise the rear trailer gate would rub the G4 tailgate. .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do haul my G4 on a 12ft trailer. It's tight but fits. I did have to modify my trailer's tailgate so it lays back more otherwise the rear trailer gate would rub the G4 tailgate. .
My trailer gate is straight up at 90 degrees. Hoping I can back the General on have the G4 tailgate over hang on the front.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My trailer gate is straight up at 90 degrees. Hoping I can back the General on have the G4 tailgate over hang on the front.
My understanding is that you should never trailer with the unit backwards. Has something to do with the roof, lift, and the roof coming off. Might want to follow up on that before something bad happens. New 19 Deluxe owner, so I hope my info is correct. Good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I saw another forum post saying they had put it on backwards.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Roofs have been known to come off towing it backwards. The dealer will tell you not to. Myself, I wouldn't do it

·
Registered
783 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
i was bitichin about having to put a set of tires on my camaro, then i saw this. 14 axles, 8 tires PER axle. was a beast!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Go big or go home right?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I wouldn't haul it backwards either but that is your choice. You can always take the ramp gate off your trailer and just use loading ramps to load your General.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the length issue w/ trailer when switching from ranger. Tried backwards a few times & didn’t care for it. Was able to sell old 10’ for $800 & buy new 12’ for $1,100. Feel much better towing w/ general forward & havinfsome extra space. I’m a 2 seater. Also watch your width, especially if you might ever change tires & rims & nerf bars. I’m at over 68” now.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Back it on my 12ft no problem. Roof blowing off? Don’t know about that because I normally just drive out of my garage and head south. I guess anything is possible??
Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
789 Posts
I will say it all depends on the 12' trailer. I had a 12x7 Sure-Trac and it would not have handled a G4 weight wise. With a 3500# axle the trailer only had a payload rating of 1690#, or about 200# lower than a G4 dry weight. Add in fluids and other stuff and you could be overloaded by several hundred pounds.

A General 4 really needs a tandem axle trailer. I am running a 16x7 TA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts