Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve had my General XP4 Deluxe 1000 a few months. From day 1 it has had a strange rattling or crackling sound. It almost sounds like I’m dragging a bag of cans behind me. Took it in for the 1st service they of course said everything was fine but I’m doubtful they took it down the road. The noise is present at really all speeds. Anyone else have this? Am I just not used to the 4 door with longer axles etc? Just doesn’t feel right. On what I believe to be a separate issue the steering shakes a bit. I know the Deluxe has big tires but again doesn’t seem right. Thank you!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Only “rattles” I have are from the doors, which I’m working on adjustments, and the clutch on deceleration when the unit is cold. Once it warms up the deceleration noise mostly goes away. I think it’s the belt. I do get a slight shimmy from the steering wheel over 45mph on hard surfaces like asphalt. The dealer played with it a little at my recent service and it did improve a little.

·
Registered
973 Posts
On the steering shake
  • Were you off road? Might it be the trail?
  • Remember most do not balance the tires so they’ll be some minor shake
  • What type of tires do you have? Someone on the forum might have them and chime in
  • I run 32” Tensors and they ride nicely but when I had the stock Walker Evan Shocks and progressive springs the only adjustment I could make was increase or decrease the spring rate and the roughness of the road transmitted into the steering wheel. It sucked! Went to Shock Therapy and went to the Fox RC2 Shocks and Shock Therapy’s Dual rate springs. No more steering chatter
My two pesos worth is it’s your tires

Cheers Baja Charlie

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had my General XP4 Deluxe 1000 a few months. From day 1 it has had a strange rattling or crackling sound. It almost sounds like I’m dragging a bag of cans behind me. Took it in for the 1st service they of course said everything was fine but I’m doubtful they took it down the road. The noise is present at really all speeds. Anyone else have this? Am I just not used to the 4 door with longer axles etc? Just doesn’t feel right. On what I believe to be a separate issue the steering shakes a bit. I know the Deluxe has big tires but again doesn’t seem right. Thank you!!
I have a 2020 Xp g2 with a terrible vibration in the steering . Starts at about 35 mph and gets worse as speed increases. Started day one from the dealer . Took it back , they said there is nothing wrong. I disagree . Thought it was the 24 psi that was in the front tires from the dealer but after dropping to 14 psi it is just as bad. Smooth road , gravel road , trails , field , it’s just as bad. I think I have a bad tire but the dealer refuses to acknowledge the issue . im going to try to get the tires balanced next and hopefully that help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
" On GENERAL XP 1000 models, the tire pressure should be 10 psi (69 kPa) on the front tires and 14 psi (96 kPa) on the rear tires. on GENERAL XP 4 1000, the tire pressure should be 16 psi (110 kPa) on the front tires and 22 psi (152 kPa) on the rear tires." Got this from a polaris website...just a place to start

·
Registered
67 Posts
Our XP 4 1000 rides like a brick when the tires are inflated to the recommended pressures. Currently running 8 psi all around and it made a huge difference in ride quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So here is an update . Took my general to my local tire guy . He put the front right on his tire machine and said it was so out of round so bad he could see the bulge in the tire as it spun on his machine . No chance of being able to balance it . Front left , same thing but not as bad . He said both tires are bad . How is this possible on a brand new machine ? I have Had it to the dealer twice about it to be told it’s fine. So two bad tires , what’s the odds ? Is this common? Can’t wait to hash this out with the dealer and Polaris.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Had this happen with a set of Michelin cars tire once. Couldn't get them balanced to save my soul and finally put it on a hoist and put it in gear with a tripod stand and with a straight edge against the stand you could see it was out of round. Michelin replaced all 4 tires and solved the problem.
Nowadays with the fancy spin balancing machines you can tell it when you put your tires and wheels on that.
Tires should be warrantied if not very old. This is a manufacturing defect and don't let them tell you any different!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our XP 4 1000 rides like a brick when the tires are inflated to the recommended pressures. Currently running 8 psi all around and it made a huge difference in ride quality.
Are you still going with 8PSI? Are you driving fast in corners? Are they the stock tires? I want to lower PSI but have concerns with blowing the tire at speed in corners.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Still at 8 psi. I wouldn't say we run all out in the corners by any means. Stock Pro Armor XG/XGF Crawler's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So here is an update . Took my general to my local tire guy . He put the front right on his tire machine and said it was so out of round so bad he could see the bulge in the tire as it spun on his machine . No chance of being able to balance it . Front left , same thing but not as bad . He said both tires are bad . How is this possible on a brand new machine ? I have Had it to the dealer twice about it to be told it’s fine. So two bad tires , what’s the odds ? Is this common? Can’t wait to hash this out with the dealer and Polaris.
same problem with mine 10 miles on it and tires are junk, to far out to even be balanced.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll mention something I found. While running lower tire pressures, 8 psi and lower, when you park the machine after a ride, the tires will temporarily flat spot. Tires that are at inflated to 12-14psi and higher won't do it. I noticed this a few times. When I went to ride the machine, the steering wheel and seat would shake for a couple of miles then the shake would stop.
So, next time I parked it, I jacked up the front end to elevate the tires off the ground and the problem went away.
The next time I parked the machine, I just pulled in and parked it. The next morning, I jacked up the front end and spun the front tires by hand. The flat spot was back. You would swear the tires were junk.So I left the front end elevated overnight and spun the front tires the next day. Tires were normal. So the only fix is to air up the tires a few pounds so the tires don't shake like heck the next time you drive it. Or elevate the machine so all four tires are off the ground, a PITA!

·
Registered
512 Posts
RABBI, I have noticed the same thing with my Tusk Terrabites so I have resorted to the same thing you are doing when the the machine is sitting I jack it up until the tires are just barely touching the ground and place jack stands under, Additionally IMO I think this helps with premature spring sag because it keeps the weight off the springs, now those with shock therapy shocks my not have this concern.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My thoughts exactly.
I do have ST springs all around so for that reason, and the lumpy tire syndrome, I do unload the suspension, especially during extended storage.
The only problem with that is we enjoy the machine so much it doesn't sit idle very long. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts