Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Can Am Mav. Trail—-2020 Duramax—2021 Fuzion Impact toy hauler —
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had Can Am’s since 2006–all Polaris prior to 2006–Am I going to regret the Engine Braking system on the General—Reading the issues scares me !!!! People talk about throttle while descending —What’s up with that ???

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
1,110 Posts
I LOVE ebs. Wouldn't be without it!!! I rarely have to use the breaks, definitely a nice feature IMO! Most complaints about the EBS system are when people go downhill. If the ground is loose or slick, the rear tires will lock up most likely. Causing you to skid. The only way to "fix" this is is to ride the breaks/gas at the same time. You only need a tiny amount of gas, just off idle, to keep the EBS from kicking in. Then the breaks keep you from speeding up down the hill while the tiny bit of gas you're giving it keeps the EBS from kicking in...

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
If it bothers you, you can change your helix in the secondary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually just use 4wd on steep loose down hill and then the EBS on the Can Am will slow you as it shouldn’t !!!! I thought that the EBS was specifically for down hill Decent !!! My Can Am will loose traction also on steep loose down hill there for I use 4wd !!!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I usually just use 4wd on steep loose down hill and then the EBS on the Can Am will slow you as it shouldn’t !!!! I thought that the EBS was specifically for down hill Decent !!! My Can Am will loose traction also on steep loose down hill there for I use 4wd !!!
4wd won't matter on down hill... the rear will still lock up without gas on a polaris...

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,813 Posts
If you're going to get a General, depending on the year...some have a one-way bearing in the Primary clutch that gives you Engine Braking. Later Generals come with a two-way bearing that doesn't provide engine braking.
Here's the deal. When you let off the gas with a two way bearing in the Primary, the belt drops all the way to the bearing, losing contact with the clutch sheaves. On hills, the engine is at idle and the CVT is just freewheeling. The steeper the hill, the faster you will be rolling. Now then if you've been freewheeling down a hill and just step on the gas, the engine rpm promptly pulls the sheaves together and the belt moves up onto the sheaves...and you have the distinct feeling you're going through the windshield!! That's because the primary clutch is just about instantly turning the rpm of the engine and no longer freewheeling at a higher rpm. Now, this is easy to manage, going down hills all you have to do is keep the rpm up enough to keep the belt up on the sheaves. That may have you doing a little two footed driving...a little bit of gas and a little bit of brakes. Like any vehicle with a manual transmission, it's just a matter of learning the machine and the process. You'll do fine.

Me, I've got diesel heavy equipment with engine brakes and pickups with exhaust brakes. I love the EBS on my General. Come over the ridge and a steep downhill in front of me, just let off the gas and the engine braking kicks in an slows my decent. Yes, there are some steep loose gravel hills that have my rear wheels start to slide...just give it a touch of gas to keep the wheels turning.

I have a downhill trail, not real steep, but has all sorts of drainage ditches crossing it. I found I had real trouble with the engine braking. But found that it was happening just as the drivetrain was at a
"shift point". That being as I went into one of those ditches the belt was just at the point of moving on the sheaves. That messes with engine rpm and thus engine braking. Twas just a matter of having the RPM a little higher going in, to prevent the belt from moving up the sheaves. Once again, just takes a little time to figure out what works. After two ditches, I had it, the next six or eight...no problemo.

Hope this helps,
Pirate

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have the 2 way, and Dalton kit with EBS helix, I have nice gentle engine braking
Mine too... stock clutches with gilomen clutch kit. Smooth as silk on deceleration... acceleration can be a bit jerky or harsh, but that's the "sporty" setup I have in the clutch, I can deal with it...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have owned 3 wheelers-quads and SXS since 1983 and I fully understand they all have issues but the EBS is a VERY important part of our riding in the Mountains of Arizona and I want one that works properly while descending steep technical hills !!!! Thanks for all the info !!!!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I have owned 3 wheelers-quads and SXS since 1983 and I fully understand they all have issues but the EBS is a VERY important part of our riding in the Mountains of Arizona and I want one that works properly while descending steep technical hills !!!! Thanks for all the info !!!!
They work the way they're designed. Some people just don't like the feel of EBS... If you've had it before and like it, I'm sure this will be fine too... most of what pirate mentioned was the early setup in the Generals from my understanding. They had it too aggressive. It's better on the newer Generals from my understanding. I've had a 20' deluxe and a 22 xp now. Both were great

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So 1 last question — on steeper down hill decent where the rear wheels skid ,if you have it in 4wd are the front wheels engaged to help wheel slip or will they not engage ????

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
So 1 last question — on steeper down hill decent where the rear wheels skid ,if you have it in 4wd are the front wheels engaged to help wheel slip or will they not engage ????
Polaris has an "on demand" system. Even if your in 4wd it doesnt mean the front wheels are engaged. The rears need to slip around 1/8 of a turn, before the fronts start "driving" or are driven. So no, 4wd makes zero difference on a downhill situation, unless you gas it enough to get the rear to spin...

·
Registered
2022 General 1000 Premium
10 Posts
I have a 2022 General 1000 Premium which has stock clutches, wheels etc. It does NOT have EBS. When going down a hill it is rolling free and you have to brake some which is fine for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We ride Wyoming-Montana and Arizona— Braking down off the mountains does not work—-sometimes its miles of down hill—-TKS

1 - 20 of 22 Posts