Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 years I am finally ready to make the trip to abernathy's and get a SxS. I had my mind made up on a RZR 1000 S until we decided to buy a house with 10acres of land. Here is my dilemma. I don't want to buy a tractor and a SxS so I will get a SxS and buy a pull behind bush hog attachment to cut about 4 acres of field. The other 6 acres are wooded. I love the looks of the RZR 1000S and the idea of it being more sporty. I go to Hatfield McCoy every year and have always rode an ATV. I've been looking forward to going this year in a RZR. I also go to Royal Blue a few times a year and want to try Brimstone this year. Here are my questions:
1. Will a RZR 1000 S do ok with pulling a brush hog attachment and be able to run at low speeds inorder to cut the brush?
2. I know the General 1000 is better for working and would be a better choice for cutting the fields, but is it as good as the RZR 1000 S at riding these trails I have mentioned? I don't want to lose the "fun factor" and the trail ability of the RZR. Is the General just as fun and capable and stable as the RZR 1000 S on the mountain trails? I like the looks of the General Deluxe and this is model I would purchase of I go that route.
I appreciate any feedback you guys can give me, especially from those who have experience with both.

·
1,563 Posts
If you want a rig that works and plays you've already decided on the General. You just need a push. Well I'll push! This thing is a beast on the trail! Fast, corners and accelerates like Dozer Dude with his pants on fire! Ride is awesome. Better seating position I believe. More creature comforts which I love! Heater is the cats ass! Tows 1500 plus pounds and you can put a butt load of stuff in the box.
Well, maybe you shouldn't get one. You will just end up hauling your buddies cooler and stuff. ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you want a rig that works and plays you've already decided on the General. You just need a push. Well I'll push! This thing is a beast on the trail! Fast, corners and accelerates like Dozer Dude with his pants on fire! Ride is awesome. Better seating position I believe. More creature comforts which I love! Heater is the cats ass! Tows 1500 plus pounds and you can put a butt load of stuff in the box.
Well, maybe you shouldn't get one. You will just end up hauling your buddies cooler and stuff. ?
Welcome MississippiRider:grin2: That's Fast!!

·
Super Moderator
3,174 Posts
Welcome MississippiRider!

We started out planning to get a RZR as well, but after seeing the General, we knew it would be a better fit. Since you're wanting it to pull double duty, I think the General would be a good fit for you too.

We've had a blast with ours on the trails, and some mild rock crawling. then the next day having it hooked to a trailer hauling dirt or wood. It does it all.

I sound like a Polaris salesman. >:)

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you want an Deluxe and are going to Abernathy's you better call first. I have been waiting on one to come in since May 5th.

Tim

·
Registered
152 Posts
Only difference would be that the center of gravity in the general is a little higher. Unless you are doing some serious racing I think you would like the general better, but you are on the general forum and not the rzr forum!?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome MississippiRider!
i have drove just about every SxS that polaris has come out with and the rzr in any breed would be a good choice, but from what it sounds like you would use your SxS for more work then play. i have drove a 1000S many times and they are a great bike, but the General is as good if not better. The handling on both are almost the same. i would take my general over the rzr any day. i would go with the General but you could not go wrong with the rzr 1000S.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just wanted to add my 2 cents on this topic. Me and my two buddies just bought our polaris toys. They bought rzr xp 1000's, I bought a general premium. We took all 3 to the sand yesterday and all I can say is that my general easily kept pace with the rzrs even with some basic suspension components compared to their walker evens stuff. The suspension was the weak link compared to the rzr, but I think the deluxe suspension would have been just as good. I also noticed that my general was more prone to burying it's self in the sand, and I attribute this to the different layout of the vehicle. I'm happy with how it did. Plus I have a truck bed, and a much more plush cab!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I've had several folks ask me to make the same comparison since I got my General. To me, there is no comparison. The General is a much roomier, more nicely appointed machine, sitting on a S chassis. No difference in performance, but a huge difference in comfort and utility/usefulness. I ride with a guy who bought an S. He said he actually liked the General better, but couldn't get past the name...??? :grin2: Reminds me of those who think the S looks sportier, and that is how they base their choice. Glad I'm past that stage in life. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
What age are you?
I only ask because in my 'younger days' I would definitely had said the RZR and that is what I owned. I traded mine in for a General.
I also traded my Outlaw 500 in for a Scrambler XP 850.
The whole go fast, look sporty thing is fun...no doubt. But it gets old and I was always wanting more...more...more!

Now that I am older, and I believe more mature, I like to ride a bit slower and take in the sights. Am I still going to tear ass down a trail with tears coming out of my eyes= yes. However, it's the other times I want to use my toys. The Outlaw was useless in the snow or deep mud; the RZR was a pita getting in and out of when doing jobs around the house. The bed on the General is great; I still pull a trailer. The seating position, ergonomics, doors, wide cockpit is just so much better in the General.
Sit in a RZR then sit in a General= completely different. They will both fly down a trail and climb rocks very well. I would rather do all this in a General 1000.

Reactions: RockinRonnie

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just got off a ride with a few guys. One had the new Turbo. We raced. General took the first 20 feet than the turbo quit spinning and he passed me up. 60 more horses. I stayed with him in the corners but we aren't race car drivers. I wouldn't trade the Generals abilities for a razor. I use it too much around the house and out on the land. It's the total package! Now if they start to put the turbos in them............>:)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Between the two machines you mentioned I would take the Deluxe G over the Rzr S any day of the week and twice on Sunday. They are basically the same machine with the same chassis and engine. The G has tons more room in it plus a dump bed that can haul twice the amount you can put on the Rzr. It already has a 2" receiver hitch in the back. The seats are in a more upright position which I find is more comfortable. The deluxe G will have several features that the Rzr won't have. It will come with a top, stereo, a better gauge package, Fox shocks vs the Walker Evans on the Rzr, 14" wheels and tires, front bumper and winch. All of those features come at a price but if you did all of that to the Rzr it would cost you the same.

Here is the biggest difference you would notice right off. While they share the exact same wheel base the General body is at least a foot wider. You will really notice this in a good way when you ride in water, mud, gravel or really loose rocky terrain. In the General you will keep dry, free of mud, gravel and loose rocks wont come into the cab. In a Rzr all of those things are going to be in the cab with you and on you. It's funny how I know all of this. I went from a G2 to a Rzr XP ride command and the first ride I figured it out pretty quick. On the Rzr the tires stick out past the fender flares on the G the tires are actually in the fender wells. I am sure if I had the Deluxe G or the G4 I wouldn't have even looked at the Rzr. In fact if a new 2018 G4 would have fit in my toy hauler I would have got that instead.

Now if they made a General on the Rzr XP1000 chassis that would be the best machine on the trail.

The only thing better about the Rzr S is the PRICE $$$$$.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My two pesos
I had a 2-Seat 2016 XP1000 for two years and ran it in the Southern California deserts and Baja (no sand stuff, hard trails and fast desert) totally loved it, but being 6’5” I was crammed in there like a sausage and no room for s_ _t. My passion is destination riding which means ride from one place to another and stay overnight and next day onto the next place. On some of these rides you may go over 180 miles with no gas stations. I put the IMS 5 gallon auxiliary tank in the RZR (goes under driver seat, relocate the battery) nice kit and never had fuel issues but 180 miles stuffed in the RZR got old quick. Thought about a 4-seater, then saw the General and compared the room. Sure it didn’t have the same suspension or power as RZR’s but my buds and me are not racers, we’re old farts who love doing remote trails in Baja using GPS routes. The General is a perfect platform for our style of riding. If you’re into sand stuff or short rides, the RZR maybe your rig of choice, but if you need a rig that can work and play hard and at the end of the day you can pull out the 64 quart cooler full of frosty cold ones.
Again my two pesos
It’s Margarita time!!!!
Cheers
Baja Charlie

·
Registered
279 Posts
My two pesos
I had a 2-Seat 2016 XP1000 for two years and ran it in the Southern California deserts and Baja (no sand stuff, hard trails and fast desert) totally loved it, but being 6’5” I was crammed in there like a sausage and no room for s_ _t. My passion is destination riding which means ride from one place to another and stay overnight and next day onto the next place. On some of these rides you may go over 180 miles with no gas stations. I put the IMS 5 gallon auxiliary tank in the RZR (goes under driver seat, relocate the battery) nice kit and never had fuel issues but 180 miles stuffed in the RZR got old quick. Thought about a 4-seater, then saw the General and compared the room. Sure it didn’t have the same suspension or power as RZR’s but my buds and me are not racers, we’re old farts who love doing remote trails in Baja using GPS routes. The General is a perfect platform for our style of riding. If you’re into sand stuff or short rides, the RZR maybe your rig of choice, but if you need a rig that can work and play hard and at the end of the day you can pull out the 64 quart cooler full of frosty cold ones.
Again my two pesos
It’s Margarita time!!!!
Cheers
Baja Charlie

I like this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StoneJackBaller
1 - 18 of 18 Posts