Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is getting beat to death, and trust me I looked long and hard because I wanted a Can-Am or Japanese model and ended up going with Polaris General.
I got to look, ride and kick the tires on the new RMax and here is my problem. It (like the General XP) is too big, I know everyone says get the XP... yada yada.
For me, (and many over look this), it was down to General deluxe 1000 vs a "trail" model Polaris RZR or the Trail model Can-Am. Everyone talks about how much more stable and better riding the XP's are and now the RMax is. But, these things are huge, I can drive my 2 door jeep rubicon almost anywhere the XP and Rmax can go (I said almost), and that trust me is more comfortable, AC, Heat, high end stereo, no trailer, drive to and from the trail or off road area down the highway or interstate. This is also why I've never even considered a 4 seater, for the money I'd go buy another jeep to beat on if my concern was always 4 people.

Can the XP or RMax carve a corner faster than my General deluxe or jeep, YES they can!!.
But, going around a corner at 60mph has never been my problem with side x sides, it's fitting between the trees on the trail, or being able to drop two wheels in the rut and leave two out on a tricky hill, where as with an XP, Rmax or my jeep, all 4 wheels are in the ruts, no way around or enough room to straddle.

All I'm saying is everyone looks at different things and for me it was the ability to fit down tighter trails, honestly if I had unlimited funds and storage space my other side by side over all others would be a 900 RZR trail, just so I could keep up better with all my ATV riding buddies when I know we were going to an area with tight trails. Problem with them is my hounds won't fit in the bed and they are my favorite riding buddies.

Now, if I lived in the desert or wide open plains, maybe even in the mountains, my needs would change with the riding environment.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Everyones likes and needs are different. That is why they make different models and styles.
One big thing with the XP is its ride is so much smoother than the deluxe. Also the power steering is way better too.
Depends on what you have to spend and can get by with if on a budget.
Get what you want or need and be happy when you get to go out and ride!
We have had many and i mean many snowmobiles, atv's, Rangers, and Generals in our 50+ years of ownership and all have been Polaris brand. Each has had its own main purpose as we used them on our farm/ranch and they served us well.
Now this General XP is for pure pleasure as my body is shot!

·
Registered
2021 General Sport Model
67 Posts
Agree 100% with the OP. I live half the year in the North Idaho mountains and the same/similar logic applies. The 62” width pushes the limits where I ride. I didn’t go with an intermediate model because I didn’t want some of the “package” things that unnecessarily drove up the price. Started out basic and built up as desired.

For me it wasn’t about the $$$ for the XP.

I considered getting the Rmax. Agree with the goofy doors on the Rmax - mostly the insanity of only having door handles on the interior. Simply doesn’t work in the cold country when you need upper doors. Also, don’t want a machine that starts out over 1800#, which makes licensing in AZ ridiculously expensive if I went that route.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yah, forgot to mention that, the 300-lb more than my General is substantial, you are dead on Desert Sailor, as for the ride everyone talks about with the XP, I get it. Naturally it's going to be more stable with the width, etc. But, my General Deluxe with the Fox podium shocks rides amazing. My biggest complaint so far is I wish it had an auto limp mode or something that when the belt slips in high it forces you to put in low before smoking or hurting the belt. There are a few times I didn't think the situation warranted low range and it did.
I REALLY like the "turf mode" that many do not like, my nieces and nephews ride it all over my mother in laws 3 acre back yard and it does virtually zero damage from tire spin.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
The main reason I didn't sell my Rzr 800 50" trail is because I like to go on tight mountain trails that restrict you to 50"or less. I love my XP4 and it has its place. I don't think you can have a do it all SxS.

Reactions: Dino.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are 100% correct, there is no catch all side x side, but, I'd give the General in the non-XP form to as close to a catch all as you can get, not too big, still haul a good load, tow a good load, zip around at speed and not the size of a mid-sized SUV; I'm still looking, if I run across a good deal on a used RZR trail, it'll be hard to pass up.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
You are 100% correct, there is no catch all side x side, but, I'd give the General in the non-XP form to as close to a catch all as you can get, not too big, still haul a good load, tow a good load, zip around at speed and not the size of a mid-sized SUV; I'm still looking, if I run across a good deal on a used RZR trail, it'll be hard to pass up.
I picked up my Rzr 800 trail for 6K from a friend that had taken very good care of it and low mileage, it was hard to pass up. I ended up selling my two sportsman(500&800). Although it has enough power, a 900 trail would be much better. Not worth the upgrade for me, but if I had it to do over again, the 900 would be the one. Its amazing what these little trails can do. Now back to the General, its nice having both options. I'd have to agree, if it was down to one machine, you would need to look hard at what you want to do with it. The XP is actually wider than 64inches, more like 66-67, so if you have a trail width limit, its something to consider.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, good info and the 900 is what I'd look for... for sure, again it would have to be a deal, my fun-funds and space are precious. When I went and looked at the Rmax 1000 2 seater last week, the sheer size was an instant turnoff for me. And, at 6'-3" even with the extra length it didn't offer any more leg room to speak of than the Gen, I wish the General had another 2-3" of leg depth for me, but it works.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Yep, good info and the 900 is what I'd look for... for sure, again it would have to be a deal, my fun-funds and space are precious. When I went and looked at the Rmax 1000 2 seater last week, the sheer size was an instant turnoff for me. And, at 6'-3" even with the extra length it didn't offer any more leg room to speak of than the Gen, I wish the General had another 2-3" of leg depth for me, but it works.
I'm 6'2" and have enough in the Rzr but there is no extra room and you have to fit yourself in when you climb in. The General has way more room, but you can always want more.

·
Registered
2021 General XP Super Graphite
50 Posts
Rmaxx doors are too short and the shoulder bolsters are garbage...
My parents were Yamaha dealers for years, so buying a Polaris was a dirty thought for a very long time.. Was about to pull the trigger and buy the General XP, and Yamaha steps up and releases the Rmax.
I was all on board to switch and buy the Rmax. After watching videos of demo units on the trails etc, I was certain I was just going to order the blue limited version. Then I watched a video of a guy walking around the entire Rmax showing every angle of it, doors open trunk up etc. And that's when I noticed the lack of storage in the center console.. the lid of the General's center console has more total area than the Rmax. Then I almost missed the bed of the Rmax. The spare tire rack and the storage box you can buy for it, bolt directly to the bed with 4 bolts each. Want to take the box out? empty it first and grab your 10mm.. Polaris system hands down far superior.

The lack of storage, lack of cargo bed utility (the bed rails are covered in plastic so you can't bolt a rack or anything to it like many of us have) and those shoulder bolsters...

Glad I decided to go with the General XP in the end.
Yamaha built a great option, I like the looks of the Rmax and +8 HP also nice but they decided to focus more on sport than the utility aspect. I wanted the utility, with the ability to be sporty. Chainsaw, all the tools/tire repair/compressor, shovel (yes I packed into the General the second I got home from the last trip :mad: ) Tow straps, food/drink, tarp+blanket, etc. I have my cargo box filled and will be fabricating a rack system so I can free up a little room in the cargo box and add a Roto Pax fuel can. (The one time we did not have spare gas in our group, someone ran out..)

Give the Rmax a few years and a few tweaks... Then Yamaha could be building the General killer. Good start though.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny you say "Give the Rmax a few years and a few tweaks... Then Yamaha could be building the General killer. Good start though. "
That's another thing other than most of what you, I and others have mentioned, IT'S A FIRST YEAR MODEL..... that is always a little scary, the R and D folks always miss something (s).
The big bonus for us all is that Polaris will now do their best to out do the RMax, nothing better than a little competition to make things better, who'll be the first 1100 :)

·
Registered
2021 General XP Super Graphite
50 Posts
I think Yamaha looked at “beating” the General via numbers. 108 vs 100 hp, matching or beating in other categories, but completely missing the mark in things like the “utility” aspect.
And yeah, the 2022/2023 General will be improved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think Yamaha looked at “beating” the General via numbers. 108 vs 100 hp, matching or beating in other categories, but completely missing the mark in things like the “utility” aspect.
will be interesting to see the 2022 general line up, big minus point is no turf mode on Rmax

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"No Terf mode" that is a BIG deal for me, I put mine in low range turf mode regularly and let the younglings drive it around my mother-in-law's three acre yard, if this was like my atvs or had no turf mode they could only do it for a very short time, its really nice and easy on the yard for the tight turns and little loops they do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rmaxx doors are too short and the shoulder bolsters are garbage...
Actually I came from a RZR then a General to the Rmax, my feeling is that you feel more a part of the machine in the Rmax. I use the shoulder bolsters to lean into just like the extended height of the General doors, what do you think those are for? Same concept just a different way of doing it, and I like the lower door and seat height is perfect to look at the ground forward or backwards if needed- that's something you can't do in the General without tweaking your neck and back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgot the utility aspect? kind of dumb statement when the Rmax actually has better numbers across the board. Just because it doesn't have the room in the cab doesn't mean it can't be used for utility. You can do as much with it as any General if not more. Rmax can tow 2000lbs you can only tow 1500lbs with a General according to specs. Better ground clearance , better suspension, D mode switch makes it a winner. I came from Polaris brand because I was tired of the constant recalls and stop rides with fear of it catching fire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My parents were Yamaha dealers for years, so buying a Polaris was a dirty thought for a very long time.. Was about to pull the trigger and buy the General XP, and Yamaha steps up and releases the Rmax.
I was all on board to switch and buy the Rmax. After watching videos of demo units on the trails etc, I was certain I was just going to order the blue limited version. Then I watched a video of a guy walking around the entire Rmax showing every angle of it, doors open trunk up etc. And that's when I noticed the lack of storage in the center console.. the lid of the General's center console has more total area than the Rmax. Then I almost missed the bed of the Rmax. The spare tire rack and the storage box you can buy for it, bolt directly to the bed with 4 bolts each. Want to take the box out? empty it first and grab your 10mm.. Polaris system hands down far superior.

The lack of storage, lack of cargo bed utility (the bed rails are covered in plastic so you can't bolt a rack or anything to it like many of us have) and those shoulder bolsters...

Glad I decided to go with the General XP in the end.
Yamaha built a great option, I like the looks of the Rmax and +8 HP also nice but they decided to focus more on sport than the utility aspect. I wanted the utility, with the ability to be sporty. Chainsaw, all the tools/tire repair/compressor, shovel (yes I packed into the General the second I got home from the last trip :mad: ) Tow straps, food/drink, tarp+blanket, etc. I have my cargo box filled and will be fabricating a rack system so I can free up a little room in the cargo box and add a Roto Pax fuel can. (The one time we did not have spare gas in our group, someone ran out..)

Give the Rmax a few years and a few tweaks... Then Yamaha could be building the General killer. Good start though.
Lack of bed space? The Rmax bed is slightly bigger than the General bed and the towing is 500lbs more. Not sure on your comments on that. The Rmax to me feels more sporty but still does all the work the General will do if not more due to higher ground clearance, better suspension, higher rating for towing, 8 more HP and the transmission is light years ahead of the General- no clunking when shifting. I came from Polaris this Rmax truly beats the General in the first year and the inside feels more like an automotive than a buggy full of plastic like the General.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts