Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Product arrived today for my audio build. I’m super excited. There are some other things I want to do to my G4 but, I work for Rockford so naturally, I’m going to get some tunes in my ride. Let me start with this, the kits that we offer for the General are awesome. I have also already seen that they are not for everyone and I am willing to listen to your guys opinions and suggestions(Please be nice). Since this is my car and I work for Rockford, I’m going to push things a bit and see if I can stumble upon some worthwhile findings. For starters, I’ll be starting with something pretty close to our Stage 4 with a few changes.

I’ll be doing our PM Marine speakers in place of the kit’s RM1s. Why, honestly, they look cooler. The PM speakers actually have a flatter response which isn’t really an advantage in the motorsports but I’ll also be adding some add on tweeters that match the PMs. They’ll go in the upper/outer vent locations. This should bring the sound up a bit and help keep all of the attention forward when driving(as it should be).

I will also be using TM1000x5 amplifier in place of the TM400x4ad. Again, the kit does just great how it is. The little 4 channel that comes in the kit delivers all of the power you need to every speaker. The only reason I’m doing the 5 channel is that MAYBE I can gain a bit of performance by tuning the rear speakers separate from the front. Also, MAYBE, I play with some other subwoofers that will benefit from the extra power on the 5th channel.

To accomplish this tuning I speak of, I’ll be installing a DSR-1 processor in the system. This will allow me to fine tune everything for my seating position. The other three riders will probably not benefit from this but, oh well.

Finally, I’ll be using the PMX-3 as the source instead of the PMX-2. The PMX-3 has a camera input. I’ll also be adding a PMX-1R in the rear console. The 1R is a remote that looks just like the headunit. The rear passengers will have full control of the music player. Maybe that’s a good thing, maybe not. Should be cool though.

I’ll post as the install is coming together. I also plan to add to, modify, test new products, and experiment with new ideas while I have the G4 and will keep this build up to date.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would be curious to learn more about the Rockford receiver if you have time for a small write up. Im mainly curious about its amplifier capabilities.

Can the built in amp handle 2 ohm loads at the same 4 ohm rms rating? ( aka can I run eight single 4 ohm speakers parallel into four 4 ohm channels?) Or should I bank on an external amplifier? The 8 speakers are more so for imaging/placement over 4 speakers, not necessarily to try and get louder.

How does the screen hold up to silty mud?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All of the Rockford source units with built in amp can do around 50 watts at 2 ohm per channel. So, you’d get between 20-25 watts per speaker if you ran eight speakers off it. I would still consider and amp if you plan on running the audio full tilt for a long period of time. If it’s in a sxs, I’m sure it will be running full tilt unless you’re fully enclosed.

The face can absolutely handle the elements, however, I have heard of people scratching the screen. The dashkiy for the General looks pretty sweet btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the Rockford Fosgate Stage 4 kit in my Polaris General 4. Installed it last month. Works great for our kids to watch movies in their car seats broadcasted thru the sound system via Bluetooth capability (iPad in a Ram mount on rear grab bar).

But I do have two suggestions/complaints:

1. The amplifier is obviously undersized for the speaker components in my opinion ... especially the subwoofer. Locally premier sound shop technician (local Rockford Fosgate Dealership) stated the system sound “tingly” in his opinion. I agree with his statement ... we both independently adjusted the equalizer settings and the subwoofer gain, but did not have the ability to send enough power to the subwoofer.
2. Not including a radio antenna in the kit was annoying. When a system costs $2,000 one would expect to see an antenna. (I personally could care less about the antenna but this was my wife’s complaint).

I am a believer when you have a complaint you should offer a solution. Mine would be a “Stage 5” option ... which would include the option of a larger amplifier. It would also be nice to have accessory offerings on the website like the antenna.

Being an engineer myself I also understand that this stereo at full power draw is very close to the maximum power output of the stator in my General. So a potential “Stage 5” option should probably point out this potential electrical issue ... and even recommend a secondary battery be installed.

My two cents ...

J.M.J.
Metallurgical Engineer
Salt Lake City, UT Area

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the feedback. As far as amp power, the little amp actually delivers almost the full RMS power to every speaker including the subwoofer. It’s a pretty common observation that the bottom end is lack luster in a side by side. Having said that, I totally agree that there is room for a Stage 5 which is kind of what I’m playing with on my machine.
Also, noted on the antenna. I’ve heard this a few times. While, $2000 sound like a chunk of money, if you were to piece price the entire kit, you actually get most of the install parts for free when you buy the stage kit, but I totally get the frustration of it not having a solution to get a local radio station.
I’ll actually pass this on to the project manager and keep a look out for future updates.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Completed the install today. Was able to do a quick tune on the DSR-1 and honestly, this thing sounds awesome. Later this week, I’ll take some better measurements and do some more tweaking but I’m already completely happy with the result. Can’t wait to take it out and enjoy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Product arrived today for my audio build. I’m super excited. There are some other things I want to do to my G4 but, I work for Rockford so naturally, I’m going to get some tunes in my ride. Let me start with this, the kits that we offer for the General are awesome. I have also already seen that they are not for everyone and I am willing to listen to your guys opinions and suggestions(Please be nice). Since this is my car and I work for Rockford, I’m going to push things a bit and see if I can stumble upon some worthwhile findings. For starters, I’ll be starting with something pretty close to our Stage 4 with a few changes.
hello as you work for Rockford, I plan to buy the stage 1 kit for my 2018 general de luxe, can de PMX-2 what come with the stage 1 general kit be connected to the standard sound bar what is in the de luxe model?
thanks in advance
Hans

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, so really strange question. I have ordered almost everything for my stereo build, but I chose a different speaker vs. the rockfords. I did however order the rockford speaker pods. I presume a kicker marine speaker will fit fine in these. It's a 6.5 as well. I chose those over rockford because i have used them before in builds and they are excellent sounding, along with they stand up to the elements very well. Guess its one of those things that its proved itself to me. However I keep going back and looking and now I am nervous that these speakers will not fit those pods.

I didn't like the ssv pods look, and they seemed to mount a little lower than the rockfords - I know its a silly question. I would be able to answer this, but my amp and speaker pods, which state delivered, have never arrived at my house so i have had to do a refund and re-order

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the Stage 4 system installed in my 2020 G4 (no ride command) and after only a couple of days, it stopped working, ie no sound. I checked the PMX-2 and it was working fine putting out signal; I even hooked up the 4 speakers to the head unit and used the internal amp to verify that the speakers also worked fine. The blue led power indicator on the amp turned on with the switch as expected, but there was no sound.

So, being a new unit, I contacted the dealer who got me a replacement amp (TM400X4AD). Plugged everything back in and still nothing.

Any ideas or suggestions? My dealer is 85 miles away so I'd like to try and fix it myself, otherwise I'll have to trailer the G4 and drop it off for who knows how long and the drive back to pick up.

·
Registered
680 Posts
... I am willing to listen to your guys opinions and suggestions(Please be nice). ...
Rear pods that fit with a window. No waketower pods. Basically, the same thing that comes stock in the XP4 but as a match to the Rockford Stage 2 (aftermarket) front pods. I can't for the life of me figure out why RF doesn't already offer these. Any insight?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts