Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I am just wondering what octane of fuel everybody is running in your General?

Reactions: Trapper

·
Registered
87 Posts
No alcohol in Alaska. Not afraid to run regular but premium mostly. For 10 gal fill ups it's not a big economical decision. Like rusty said. Highest you can get, but its ok to run regular.
I wish we didn't have alcohol in our fuel! I play with some old cars and these fuel blends are rough on everything from fuel tank to the tune ability of the carbs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Beside the fuel type. What kind of mileage do you all get with your General. This weekend we were trail riding in the Black Hills of SD and we went through two tanks in 2-1/2 days. One day we started full and 8 hours later we were nearly empty. The Ranger 900 who was with us only went through one tank all weekend and they only have .5 gal more capacity. This thing seemed like a gas hog. I know I have a heavy foot in my truck but this I couldn't believe. Thoughts?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Beside the fuel type. What kind of mileage do you all get with your General. This weekend we were trail riding in the Black Hills of SD and we went through two tanks in 2-1/2 days. One day we started full and 8 hours later we were nearly empty. The Ranger 900 who was with us only went through one tank all weekend and they only have .5 gal more capacity. This thing seemed like a gas hog. I know I have a heavy foot in my truck but this I couldn't believe. Thoughts?
Anytime I can have that much fun for the price of 9 gallons of premium gas I'm good.
And since I drive a modified FJ? Piss poor gas milage is nothing new to me.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I think I am getting about 13.5 miles per gallon and I spin those tires in the sand all day on every corner. I am not 30 anymore but I ride pretty hard. The only thing that slows me down are blind corners on two way trails. >:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
the owners manual says 87 so that's what i run, anything higher would be a waist of money and more than likely bring your mpg down along with a little loss in power, higher octane is for higher compression motors
I would really like to know how a higher octane fuel would result in a lowere mpg and a loss of power.
Also what is your definition of a high compression motor?
This motor is a 10:1 motor which I consider high. Of course I'm a car guy so my comparisons may be misguided. Most everything these days has a knock sensor that will at sensing a knock will retard the timing however that results in a loss of both powere and mpg. Also the ecu likely has a small window in which it can't retard the timing after that she's free to destroy herself. Altitude and ambient temperature will contribute to preignition. I run mostly in the low desert. Hot and low altitude. I'll play it on the safe side since I would never hear the preignition until the motor is destroyed.

·
1,563 Posts
Rusty nut the points you make are solid. I would like to here from Polaris why they recommended the rating they did. 10-1 is a high compression ratio by normal standards, but their reasoning I would like to know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
For many years premium is all I buy for all of my small engines. The cost difference is very marginal for the performance and longevity of your engine and fuel components. I bought a new 2000 Cevy 3/4 ton 6.0 liter gas engine and if I ran 87 octane it would ping. Go cheap on fuel and pay the difference down the road. Don't take my word for it search on the Internet and you will find plenty on low octane, ethanol and alcohol fuels. There is a reason why when you buy quality machines such as Stihl or a performance automobile they say only to run 91 or above.

·
Registered
51 Posts
higher octane equals less combustible, so a vehicle that recommends higher octane usually has a compression of 11:1 or higher for a less combustible fuel that can be compressed more.......remember there is a difference between combustible and flammable

1 - 20 of 24 Posts