Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently in a Silverton RV Park. Riding the Alpine Loop trails...

Even though fully licensed and insured out of Arizona...I got a $75 citation for crossing Hwy 550 to get to the only gas station in the area. Not a ticket, just a $75 citation for being "out of bounds".

Heard there was a new gas station on the right side of Hwy 550. But no one could offer details...well...got em!!

The Triangle Motel has installed two fuel pumps. They are selling 91 octane, Ethanol Free unleaded. Its $3.99/gallon. But around here Unleaded premium is $3.59 anyway.

The Triangle Motel is located at 8th & Greene Streets....basically 8th and main.

Here's a few pics I took:

Pirate

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've read on a couple of different forums that they will park and just watch for people to do exactly what you did. Can't believe how non OHV friendly Colorado is. The more wealthy tree huggers in a county, the less friendly they get. Pitkin Cty is another perfect example.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've read on a couple of different forums that they will park and just watch for people to do exactly what you did. Can't believe how non OHV friendly Colorado is. The more wealthy tree huggers in a county, the less friendly they get. Pitkin Cty is another perfect example.
Yep. That's exactly what they were doing a couple of weeks ago. I watched 'em while sitting at the service station at the entrance to town a few weeks ago. Cops were pulling people right and left. Poor customer service if you ask me. Maybe they need the money from tickets, but ruin folks' vacations and they may not return.

·
Registered
551 Posts
That kinda sucks.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Colorado's latest bullshit was that allowing us to license our UTVs would generate too much revenue and the state might have to give the taxpayer a refund...having collected too much tax money. Believe that???
But the state did give communities and counties the ability to decide where UTV/ATV could ride.

Surprisingly, Silverton is one of the more progressives towns/cities. Silverton, in my view, figured out that UTV/ATV folks bring money and spend it. Hikers, mountain bikers, the don't spend money on meals, lodging, groceries, souvenirs, you name it. So perhaps we should cater to those folks. Well, now we can get most anywhere in town without being hassled...or ticketed...

Lake City, at the other end of the Alpine Loop, is now less OHV friendly. Colorado Highway 149 is the main drag through town. The Colorado State Patrol has decided not to let use use the highway to get up to Slumgulion Pass, Deer Lakes. Hill 71 and other places we used to travel. We can still use Hwy 149 to get from the Cinnamon Pass, Cty Rd 30 to the first street in town, then take side roads. the other end of town the small ATV shop owns the side of the Hwy and allows us to traverse his land, then cross the Hwy, then travel the other side of the Hwy, which I think he also owns...to get to the stores and restaurants.

One of these days!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pirate,

We are planning a trip up there for next summer. There will be 7 of us, 4 buggies. Any suggestions where to stay. We plan on riding from the same location 4-5 days. None of us have rv's or campers, so we are not really interested in campgrounds.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you’re wanting to ride from the same location for several days you should try to go to Taylor Park. Lots of great free and primitive camping spots where you don’t have to trailer anything to get to the trails. Tons of trails to ride. Great location!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DUH....scrolling up is the info one the Triangle Motel that has the fuel pumps. Plenty of off street parking to keep and eye on your machine.

Either one is good. We stayed at the Teller House three years ago...don't stay there...it's nice, but old and no off street parking.

Pirate

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Pirate! I always appreciate all the great tips and information!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stopped at the Triangle Motel in Silverton for fuel yesterday. They have four pumps, this year they have all three unleaded grades available. Fuel prices are comparable with the other side of the mountain.

The attached convenience store is upgraded some.

As a side note, the Alpine loop is busier this September that the previous 7 years we have been coming. I hear from people that since people can't travel to other countries, they are buying RVs and traveling inside the USA. Along with this, I've never seen so many rental UTVs on the trails...

Pirate

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stopped at the Triangle Motel in Silverton for fuel yesterday. They have four pumps, this year they have all three unleaded grades available. Fuel prices are comparable with the other side of the mountain.

The attached convenience store is upgraded some.

As a side note, the Alpine loop is busier this September that the previous 7 years we have been coming. I hear from people that since people can't travel to other countries, they are buying RVs and traveling inside the USA. Along with this, I've never seen so many rental UTVs on the trails...

Pirate
[/6g

We were on Engineer 2nd day after the big snow, coming over to Silverton on Stoney. We were in the Jeep. I have never seen so much vehicle traffic in all my years of going there. UTVs being the great majority. Many, many rentals. Lots of large groups.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts