Polaris General Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2022 G4 Delux RC Ghost White (ordered 9/1/21) & 2017 Sportsman 570
468 Posts
My 22 has the same vibration in the floor ONLY when the front is actuated, I didn't notice it much because I haven't used 4wd much. It's not clunky or noisy that way, I actually chocked it up to driveline noise....... 1600mi on it now and 65 hrs. I just did my second service and there was barely any shavings on the magnet but did see some metalic type of particles in the oil, but the gears look great in there. Not sure what to think but gonna get the father in law to document this before waranty is up (I saved the oil and have a video) He's my dealer and he's awaiting a steering wheel for me. I haven't tried it since I did the service only one ride since then but heading up north tomorrow.

·
Registered
2020XP4
2,218 Posts
My 2020 XP4 has a noticeable vibration when the AWD switch is active. Notice it more when turning. I figured it's the junk carrier bearing that Polaris uses. I greased everything that's greaseable in the drive line. I don't think it's the diff, but I'll be following this thread to see what others find out. I have very low miles on the machine.

·
Registered
2021 general deluxe, 2 seat
143 Posts
Hello,
Lots of info on front diff issues.
I have almost 600 miles in my 22 XP 4.
New to SXSs. When in 4x4/AWD mode and the rears break loose when the front kicks in it is very pronounced, I can hear it and feel it. Not a clunk or grinding but more of a loaded mechanical hum and consistent while all four are powered. Sand washes specifically when throttling up and down. I talked to a guy with a General on a group ride this weekend and he said he doesn’t hear anything with his… I thought it was normal to hear when the fronts engaged but now I wonder. Warranty is up in a couple months so don’t want to wait if it is not normal.
Did the break in service and included diff fluid change no metal chips or anything suspicious.
Any input appreciated!
I have a 21 deluxe g2 with around 3500 miles. I don't have any of what you are describing. Get it into the dealer asap.

jsonduck

·
Registered
General 4 2017
8 Posts
Hello,
New to SXSs. When in 4x4/AWD mode and the rears break loose when the front kicks in it is very pronounced, I can hear it and feel it. Not a clunk or grinding but more of a loaded mechanical hum and consistent while all four are powered. Sand washes specifically when throttling up and down. I talked to a guy with a General on a group ride this weekend and he said he doesn’t hear anything with his… I thought it was normal to hear when the fronts engaged but now I wonder. Warranty is up in a couple months so don’t want to wait if it is not normal.
Did the break in service and included diff fluid change no metal chips or anything suspicious.
Any input appreciated!
I have a 2017 general 4 that has over 6000 miles on it. Half of those milles are on the farm and county roads and the other half in Colorado riding trails over rough terrain. Mine makes a similar noise most of the time. It’s not loud but can be heard in or out of 4x4. I use to worry about it but I figure after this long it’s fine. The only thing I’ve done to it was added bigger tires, forward a arms and took the stabilizer bar off the front. Just drive it and turn music up it’s fine.🤠

·
Registered
2022 General XP 4 1000 Deluxe Black Crystal
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Hello,
Any input appreciated!
Hello,
Any input appreciated!

Update on front end noise.

Well, I dropped my 22 XP4 off at TC Powersports in Michigan Center on Monday. 3 hours from where I store and use the machine and 1 hr from my home, they sold me the machine and I liked the sales guy so thought I'd give them a shot.Big mistake! I supplied them with the video below and thoroughly explained what was happening. The counter guy made notes and looked at the video and it seemed like we were on the same page... They called today Friday and as Pirate said they said they can't tell that anything is wrong. In fact they said when you run in 4X4 mode you will get noise especially if it is a hard pack as the front will be fighting against the rear.?!? He also stated that you shouldn't run in 4X4 all the time or over 15 MPH....?? I challenged him and said the system is designed so you CAN run it in 4x4 and proceeded to explain how the system kicks in only when rears lose traction so it would always be in low traction situations... Mind you this was the shop forman I was talking to. He acted like he was unaware of how the front ends work. YIKES! After I explained the issue very thoroughly again he said well I couldn't duplicate the problem as we only have some gravel out back so if you want us to crack the case we can but IF Polaris doesn't cover it you're paying for it. Crazy how he didnt know how our front ends work.... I had them document my concerns about the front end so there is a record in case it grenades in the future after the warranty is up. But wait there's more. And this is what really grinds me! They proceeded to also tell me that my belt had some slight hourglassing and should be replaced soon and asked if I wanted them to do it. I asked if they took the cover off to inspect it and they said yes...I told them that was odd as I just replaced the belt less than 400 miles ago so no thank you. (I put the Hunter belt and white washer on and was careful to break it in properly) As soon as I got home I took the belt off and using my micrometer checked each cog. NO HOURGLASSING! What a bunch of BS! Needless to say I WILL be doing all my own work from now on. IF anyone can see/hear what Im talking about in the video any input is appreciated. This is a sandy road and im throttling up and down to engage and disengage the front. Maybe I'm just hypersensitive to sounds from my vehicles and this is normal...
You tube video

·
Registered
143 Posts

Well, I dropped my 22 XP4 off at TC Powersports in Michigan Center on Monday. 3 hours from where I store and use the machine and 1 hr from my home, they sold me the machine and I liked the sales guy so thought I'd give them a shot.Big mistake! I supplied them with the video below and thoroughly explained what was happening. The counter guy made notes and looked at the video and it seemed like we were on the same page... They called today Friday and as Pirate said they said they can't tell that anything is wrong. In fact they said when you run in 4X4 mode you will get noise especially if it is a hard pack as the front will be fighting against the rear.?!? He also stated that you shouldn't run in 4X4 all the time or over 15 MPH....?? I challenged him and said the system is designed so you CAN run it in 4x4 and proceeded to explain how the system kicks in only when rears lose traction so it would always be in low traction situations... Mind you this was the shop forman I was talking to. He acted like he was unaware of how the front ends work. YIKES! After I explained the issue very thoroughly again he said well I couldn't duplicate the problem as we only have some gravel out back so if you want us to crack the case we can but IF Polaris doesn't cover it you're paying for it. Crazy how he didnt know how our front ends work.... I had them document my concerns about the front end so there is a record in case it grenades in the future after the warranty is up. But wait there's more. And this is what really grinds me! They proceeded to also tell me that my belt had some slight hourglassing and should be replaced soon and asked if I wanted them to do it. I asked if they took the cover off to inspect it and they said yes...I told them that was odd as I just replaced the belt less than 400 miles ago so no thank you. (I put the Hunter belt and white washer on and was careful to break it in properly) As soon as I got home I took the belt off and using my micrometer checked each cog. NO HOURGLASSING! What a bunch of BS! Needless to say I WILL be doing all my own work from now on. IF anyone can see/hear what Im talking about in the video any input is appreciated. This is a sandy road and im throttling up and down to engage and disengage the front. Maybe I'm just hypersensitive to sounds from my vehicles and this is normal...
You tube video

All I hear is kind of a higher pitched sound, but like a whining. Don't seem bad to me.

I agree with the quality of dealership work. Took mine in to have a lower a arm replaced. I was mostly just being lazy and thought it couldn't be that expensive. $500 later, I realized I made a big mistake. 4 hours labor for one lower a arm! No more!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Some dealers are just rip-off artists, gives the good honest dealers a bad rep.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
All I hear is kind of a higher pitched sound, but like a whining. Don't seem bad to me.

I agree with the quality of dealership work. Took mine in to have a lower a arm replaced. I was mostly just being lazy and thought it couldn't be that expensive. $500 later, I realized I made a big mistake. 4 hours labor for one lower a arm! No more!
It is just a whining sound but some say there’s no noise and some say there is… not sure what to expect. At this point I’ll just run it and deal with any issues that come up. Looking to get a Rugged Radio system so noise will be irrelevant.
😂

·
Registered
468 Posts

You tube video

Wow what a sh!t show bud, sorry you had to deal with that that's terrible. I don't think I've updated on this but after I did the service at 65 hours it still has the minor vibration in the floor and pedal when the front diff is actuated but it was less than prior to the oil change. I hate to say it but I think that you might just have to run it (now that they took note of the issue) That's what I'm gonna do, it doesn't bother me terribly and I guess I"ll find out in the long run but i'm thinking that this could be many differnt things such as center support bearings or whatever. There is so many different variables in to why some folks may or may not feel it. When I do take it to my father in laws dealership I will update you as I'm going to make sure they mark it down.

Dude I just watched your video, I definitely do not have that sound at all....that said......it sounds like it does it even when off the throttle (when the AWD isn't actuated) Does it really only do this when your in AWD or the AWD switch is on? I mean it sounds like a pinion bearing to me, or a carrier bearing. Let me know........ something doesn't add up on my end anyways lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Wow what a sh!t show bud, sorry you had to deal with that that's terrible. I don't think I've updated on this but after I did the service at 65 hours it still has the minor vibration in the floor and pedal when the front diff is actuated but it was less than prior to the oil change. I hate to say it but I think that you might just have to run it (now that they took note of the issue) That's what I'm gonna do, it doesn't bother me terribly and I guess I"ll find out in the long run but i'm thinking that this could be many differnt things such as center support bearings or whatever. There is so many different variables in to why some folks may or may not feel it. When I do take it to my father in laws dealership I will update you as I'm going to make sure they mark it down.

Dude I just watched your video, I definitely do not have that sound at all....that said......it sounds like it does it even when off the throttle (when the AWD isn't actuated) Does it really only do this when your in AWD or the AWD switch is on? I mean it sounds like a pinion bearing to me, or a carrier bearing. Let me know........ something doesn't add up on my end anyways lol
Hi, Thanks for the input.
The noise does stop completely when I lift or transition to any hardpack where the fronts disengage. I have done the service and changed all fluids. This winter will be the test as I'll most likely be spinning the fronts a lot in the snow. I figure I'll just run it like you said and deal with what comes of it... I don't have much faith in shops anymore, I dont mind doing my own work but it would be nice to be able to have a good pro to go to when its beyond my scope.
I appriciate this forum! Its great to be able to bounce issues and get ideas. GREAT GROUP on here!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yes this forum is amazing with all the knowledge these folks have I had 8 months to learn while waiting for my machine. It doesn't do it at all in 2wd right? I'm still going with pinion bearing in the front but I would think it may do it even in 2wd then. I will will show this to my father in law who is my dealer and see what he says. Are you in a position to get a second opinion? Might be worth the trip before warranty is up? I'm over in SE WI if you need to come over for a dealer 🤣

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes this forum is amazing with all the knowledge these folks have I had 8 months to learn while waiting for my machine. It doesn't do it at all in 2wd right? I'm still going with pinion bearing in the front but I would think it may do it even in 2wd then. I will will show this to my father in law who is my dealer and see what he says. Are you in a position to get a second opinion? Might be worth the trip before warranty is up? I'm over in SE WI if you need to come over for a dealer 🤣
As for me, I sure wish I was closer to you for sure. But I'm in Southern California and have one choice, that's close. I could go to the dealership in Yuma where I bought my General, but that's still a 2 hour each way trip.

Well, knock on wood, I won't have any issues that I can't deal with myself. I do have a amazing group that I ride with and can rely on for help.

jsonduck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
It doesn’t do it all all in 2WD. Would love to get a second opinion, challenge is I’m running out of time on the warranty. Oct 30.
I’ll be in Grand Rapids next week but that’s still a haul… Maybe he knows someone in MI to refer?
Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 2022 XP4 Deluxe has 820 miles on it, and it has made more of a low growling sound when the front end is engaged. It seems to become louder during a turn, especially to the left. As with others' experiences, my dealer said it is normal, that some front diffs are noisier than others. I have had very good luck with the service department at this dealership, so I am going to just run it and see. A friend has a 2017 G4, and his has made a noise like this from the start, and he has over 5,000 miles on his. I just hope that if mine fails I am not 80 miles from the truck out on the Arizona Strip!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Probably a bad bearing that will go out some time down the road. My 2017 has a bad whine when driving on the street. I'm just going to drive it until something breaks. Then I'll install a complete new front dif.
I would build what you have, and save yourself some money.👍
But if you want new, I can help there as well.
Automotive tire Rim Nickel Auto part Metal

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Rim Auto part

21 - 38 of 38 Posts