·
Registered
2022 General XP 4 1000 Deluxe Black Crystal
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Lots of info on front diff issues.
I have almost 600 miles in my 22 XP 4.
New to SXSs. When in 4x4/AWD mode and the rears break loose when the front kicks in it is very pronounced, I can hear it and feel it. Not a clunk or grinding but more of a loaded mechanical hum and consistent while all four are powered. Sand washes specifically when throttling up and down. I talked to a guy with a General on a group ride this weekend and he said he doesn’t hear anything with his… I thought it was normal to hear when the fronts engaged but now I wonder. Warranty is up in a couple months so don’t want to wait if it is not normal.
Did the break in service and included diff fluid change no metal chips or anything suspicious.
Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Has this done this since you first got it or just since our break-in service?
I would definitely get an appointment made while under warranty as this isn't right. Might take a month or two to get in to your dealer.
Let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
2016 Polaris General Deluxe, 10% OEM
4,875 Posts
devon,
The dealer is going to tell you everything is fine. They all do with Hilliard diff noises.
The solution, make contact with Jeff at JJandA Racing Products.
He will blueprint your diff and suggest upgrades that may be needed. I've had him do both of mine.
Smooth, quiet, I don't feel or hear it engage and disengage. Jeff now does seven (7) proprietary bench tests before sending it back to you.
Typically one to two day turnaround.
Pirate

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Get it to the dealer and have them document the issue. That way if there are issues down the road there is a paper trail and you can hopefully have Polaris cover it.
I'll bet the dealer says what all the other dealers say...no problems and send you down the road. That's why I suggest what I've done. Jeff backs his work...but doesn't have any come back.
Pirate

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll bet the dealer says what all the other dealers say...no problems and send you down the road. That's why I suggest what I've done. Jeff backs his work...but doesn't have any come back.
Pirate
I did get an appointment for 9/1 and talked to a tech. He verbally said it shouldn't make the noise I was describing. Once he checks it out I might reach out to Jeff and pursue that route. Interested to see what the tech says... I will post an update.
Thank you!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I did get an appointment for 9/1 and talked to a tech. He verbally said it shouldn't make the noise I was describing. Once he checks it out I might reach out to Jeff and pursue that route. Interested to see what the tech says... I will post an update.
Thank you!
You can also check with @Toxic-21 on here. Send him a PM.

Reactions: devon.smith417

·
Registered
466 Posts
devon,
The dealer is going to tell you everything is fine. They all do with Hilliard diff noises.
The solution, make contact with Jeff at JJandA Racing Products.
He will blueprint your diff and suggest upgrades that may be needed. I've had him do both of mine.
Smooth, quiet, I don't feel or hear it engage and disengage. Jeff now does seven (7) proprietary bench tests before sending it back to you.
Typically one to two day turnaround.
Pirate
There is NO Blueprinting.
You never hear the Front Gearcase Engage of Disengage at any time.
There is no 7 step Proprietary Bench test.

For $99 ( maybe $119.99 now with the price increases) you get to tell your buddies that you had your Differential Blueprinted.
So you paid for a free word in the English language.

Yes, there is a such thing as Blueprinted, but not on this front Gearcase.

·
Registered
2022 general XP on the way
1,214 Posts
They all do with Hilliard diff noises.

Pirate
Never once in 20+ years of being around polaris ATV'S/SxS's have I once heard/felt when the front diff engages. The 15+ machines I've driven have all been quiet as a church mouse and smooth as silk.....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
There is NO Blueprinting.
You never hear the Front Gearcase Engage of Disengage at any time.
There is no 7 step Proprietary Bench test.

For $99 ( maybe $119.99 now with the price increases) you get to tell your buddies that you had your Differential Blueprinted.
So you paid for a free word in the English language.

Yes, there is a such thing as Blueprinted, but not on this front Gearcase.
Now, since Jeff owns a large CNC machine shop. I believe he measures the Output hubs. Uses the cage he specifies and measures. Then CNC machines a set of rollers that exactly what it
takes for the fastest engagement and smooth engagement and disengagement. I would call that blueprinting. As in engines, bringing components to the exact specification to make it run smoother and with the most horsepower. Am I wrong? I don't think so.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Both of the Hilliard diffs I have sent to Jeff for "Blueprinting" and Upgrades have been so smooth and noise free it's very enjoyable. When the Hilliard diff engages and disengages so smoothly
I don't know it's happening. Isn't that the goal of "Blueprinting". When I managed a Steam Turbine overhaul that was the whole goal. Bring every clearance back to design specification to get the smoothest machine on cold start-up and again when up to temp and fully loaded. Doing so got us better balance, better efficiency and extra juice coming out of the Generator. I believe one could
call that "Blueprinting".
Now if you want your Hilliard diff to sound like someone kicking a can with rocks in it. That's fine, but it could be better.
Or perhaps carry a pocket full of different sizes so that like tuning a carburetor, you carry a pocket full of primary circuit and secondary circuit jets. But that is no fun. Especially if someone can alleviate the problem completely.
Toxic, what do you do to make a Hilliard differential as quiet as Jeff has made mine? I would really like to know, since you persist in being nasty to me.
Pirate

·
Registered
466 Posts
Now, since Jeff owns a large CNC machine shop. I believe he measures the Output hubs. Uses the cage he specifies and measures. Then CNC machines a set of rollers that exactly what it
takes for the fastest engagement and smooth engagement and disengagement. I would call that blueprinting. As in engines, bringing components to the exact specification to make it run smoother and with the most horsepower. Am I wrong? I don't think so.
The only thing that is correct in your post, is Jeff owns a machine shop, and makes 4 wheeler parts.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Both of the Hilliard diffs I have sent to Jeff for "Blueprinting" and Upgrades have been so smooth and noise free it's very enjoyable. When the Hilliard diff engages and disengages so smoothly
I don't know it's happening. Isn't that the goal of "Blueprinting". When I managed a Steam Turbine overhaul that was the whole goal. Bring every clearance back to design specification to get the smoothest machine on cold start-up and again when up to temp and fully loaded. Doing so got us better balance, better efficiency and extra juice coming out of the Generator. I believe one could
call that "Blueprinting".
Now if you want your Hilliard diff to sound like someone kicking a can with rocks in it. That's fine, but it could be better.
Or perhaps carry a pocket full of different sizes so that like tuning a carburetor, you carry a pocket full of primary circuit and secondary circuit jets. But that is no fun. Especially if someone can alleviate the problem completely.
Toxic, what do you do to make a Hilliard differential as quiet as Jeff has made mine? I would really like to know, since you persist in being nasty to me.
Pirate
I don’t persist to be nasty to you.
You are an asset to this Forum.
I simply provide technical information, that refutes your emotional information.

And most of it is on the Front Gearcase and Transaxle posts, because I have intimate knowledge on both.

You have posted this JJ&A information for along time, and what you post is what you “believe”, not what you have knowledge of.
You have even had other members tell you it is false, but refuse to believe

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Really Toxic??
I have spent quite a bit of time talking with Jeff. The upgrades he has done on my Hilliard differentials, I have posted the invoices so others know what was done.
If you think I'm so full of ****. Why don't you right up, here, what the best solution to a noisy vibrating Hilliard differential? I'll get with Jeff and see what he has to say. He's very easy to talk with
knows what he's doing and I admire and respect that.

Better yet, with all the nasty responses you given to my posts. How do I block you from reading them? Obviously you think I'm a first class liar.
I share my successes and I have shared my failures. I try hard to post photos and write-ups of how I have done a project. Do you post those?

You pooh-poohed me for not buying a transmission from you. You said I didn't tell you what I wanted so you could give me a quote. How the **** do I know what I want? I just want
the best I can get. Rev6Sports provided me with choices for upgrades. I spoke with Mike at length to discuss what were the best options. They are all posted on the Rev6Sports website. I went that direction. I'm no transmission expert. Shared what I bought.

Don't think I made the right decision? Put up a website so we can see what you offer?

In fact, help me out. Please post what you do to make a noisy Hilliard differential quite and smooth. I can't wait to read up on what you post.
I would sure appreciate knowing how you do it. What testing you do to make sure it will be quiet and smooth when installed in the owners General.
I'll be looking forward to the information!
Thank you!!'
Stuart Phelps

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
We have had many Polaris ATV's and SxS's and not one of our front differentials made any noise and never felt them kick in either. Some of these were used very hard on our farm/ranch back in ND. Main thing like everything else is keep them serviced.
Not saying some don't make noise as @devon.smith417 states above. Something would be wrong inside of his differential being it is doing what he says.
We have to agree to disagree as no one can please everyone. What I may think is a great dealer/sponsor, others might think differently.
Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: lueck89

·
Registered
466 Posts
Really Toxic??
I have spent quite a bit of time talking with Jeff. The upgrades he has done on my Hilliard differentials, I have posted the invoices so others know what was done.
If you think I'm so full of ****. Why don't you right up, here, what the best solution to a noisy vibrating Hilliard differential? I'll get with Jeff and see what he has to say. He's very easy to talk with
knows what he's doing and I admire and respect that.
Ok, let’s think about this.
So we get a Blueprinted Front Gearcase, with a custom made roller set and Sprague, with a 7 step Proprietary test process and what other cool marketing verbiage we can come up with for $300 ( I do not remember the exact amount on your invoice, but it was 3 something), really?
A standard rebuild alone is more than that.

Just the Bearing Set alone that I use is $175.

And for the record, I do not know Jeff, so my comments are not directed at him personally.

But I do know the Gentleman personally that holds all of the Original Patents to this Front Gearcase Design.
And I know the Gentleman that makes the best components for the Gearcase’s as well.
So I would say I have some intimate knowledge on the subject, and my background is Engineering

Better yet, with all the nasty responses you given to my posts. How do I block you from reading them? Obviously you think I'm a first class liar.
I have never called you a liar.
But on the Front Gearcase and Transaxle questions, you have no intimate knowledge of them, but continue to post inaccurate information that keeps propagating more inaccurate information.

Nasty responses? where?
For your information, I am an Administrator for one of the other Vertical Scope Forums.
Vertical Scope owns this forum as well as many others, so I’m familiar with policy.

I share my successes and I have shared my failures. I try hard to post photos and write-ups of how I have done a project. Do you post those?

You pooh-poohed me for not buying a transmission from you. You said I didn't tell you what I wanted so you could give me a quote. How the **** do I know what I want? I just want
the best I can get. Rev6Sports provided me with choices for upgrades. I spoke with Mike at length to discuss what were the best options. They are all posted on the Rev6Sports website. I went that direction. I'm no transmission expert. Shared what I bought.

Stuart, the choice to purchase wherever is yours.
I sent you my Phone number in your PM’s to contact me, so we could talk and discuss your options, which you acknowledged.

Don't think I made the right decision? Put up a website so we can see what you offer?

In fact, help me out. Please post what you do to make a noisy Hilliard differential quite and smooth. I can't wait to read up on what you post.
I would sure appreciate knowing how you do it. What testing you do to make sure it will be quiet and smooth when installed in the owners General.
I'll be looking forward to the information!
Thank you!!'
Stuart Phelps

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello,
Lots of info on front diff issues.
I have almost 600 miles in my 22 XP 4.
New to SXSs. When in 4x4/AWD mode and the rears break loose when the front kicks in it is very pronounced, I can hear it and feel it. Not a clunk or grinding but more of a loaded mechanical hum and consistent while all four are powered. Sand washes specifically when throttling up and down. I talked to a guy with a General on a group ride this weekend and he said he doesn’t hear anything with his… I thought it was normal to hear when the fronts engaged but now I wonder. Warranty is up in a couple months so don’t want to wait if it is not normal.
Did the break in service and included diff fluid change no metal chips or anything suspicious.
Any input appreciated!
Adding to this post... I do not hear the moment of engagement of the front diff but I do hear it when it is engaged and powering the front wheels.
Thank you for all the input and I repost what I find out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts