Polaris General Forum banner

941 - 954 of 954 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I been talking with the dealer about the shafts, yesterday they told me Polaris would release the prop shafts on the 11 th , going to try an get the steering and shafts in one trip .

I am not getting anywhere on the doors for some reason .

·
Registered
468 Posts
You should get a CV shaft. I had mine done over the winter along with all the other fix actions and it came out beautiful. No more can of rocks sound. I came from a Can Am Commander so I know what noise is. Even with the rattle it was so much quitter than the commander. Now it's like riding on air. Thanks Polaris, you got it right.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Slow Motion,

Ummm...you mention "getting the steering"...is that the recall from 2017 to get a fastener on the steering column and ECU programming change?

If it is...do not let them touch your ECU!!! The reprogramming adds the "Misfire Detection" function to the ECU...and that may give your fits. It did me! Limp Mode and Check Engine Light to no end when I went from 5460 ft elevation to 900 ft elevation. Gilomen Innovations came up with the fix with his making the detection less sensitive.

Make sure you get the Polaris driveshaft set that has three CV joints (for a 2 seat). I've heard there were some that had a CV joint at the front diff, one at the trans output, and a U-joint at the carrier bearing. No good!

Lots of experience on this one!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
123general,

You need to look underneath at the driveshafts. There should not be any U-joints in the two piece driveshaft on a 2 seat General.

Another cure is to get the Hilliard front differential blueprinted and upgraded at JJandA Racing Products. $99 for the blueprint work and with all the upgrades mine was $469.

The thing to remember is the front differential has nothing in common with a Jeep or Pickup front differential other than it has a Ring and Pinion gear set. The parts are not precision hobbed gears.
It doesn't have spider gear sets...

Not that expensive to fix. The JJandA diff is absolutely quiet and smooth. I've had two now and in both cases, I never knew when the front diff engaged or disengaged.

Pirate

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been looking at generals for months now and really want one. they seem to fall apart very quickly, i love the look and the accessories but man i am leaning towards a wolverine. it has issues too, its ugly, hard to get into, accessories suck. but people say they are the Polaris tow truck, they don't go fast, shitty ground clearance but they always seem to make it back to the trailer.
first time user, thank you for having me, trying to figure out general or wolverine... thanks again.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Nielson57,
Go ahead and buy a General! There are few things that I would recommend...
As soon as you get the machine home, pull the front diff and send it to Jeff at JJandA Racing Products. For about $500 he will blueprint your diff and do
so needed upgrades. After that you will have an incredibly smooth diff. No noise and you can barely tell when it engages and disengages.

Second, send your ECU to Terry at Gilomen Innovations and have him reprogram it with his full program. No issues with the Misfire Detection issue and'
you'll gain 8-9 hp and drastically improve the performance of your machine. I believe its a little less than $500

Third, send your shocks to Shock Therapy Suspension Tuning for their RIS 2 (Ride Improvement System 2). I recall its about $1300

Fourth, shop Factory UTV and get a set of their UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) skid plate sets. About $600 if memory serves.

I've done considerable business with all four on my 2009 RZR 800LE and my 2016 General Deluxe. All are easy to work with. Stand behind their product
and service and just these will give you and awesome machine!!

Pirate

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nielson57,
Go ahead and buy a General! There are few things that I would recommend...
As soon as you get the machine home, pull the front diff and send it to Jeff at JJandA Racing Products. For about $500 he will blueprint your diff and do
so needed upgrades. After that you will have an incredibly smooth diff. No noise and you can barely tell when it engages and disengages.

Second, send your ECU to Terry at Gilomen Innovations and have him reprogram it with his full program. No issues with the Misfire Detection issue and'
you'll gain 8-9 hp and drastically improve the performance of your machine. I believe its a little less than $500

Third, send your shocks to Shock Therapy Suspension Tuning for their RIS 2 (Ride Improvement System 2). I recall its about $1300

Fourth, shop Factory UTV and get a set of their UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) skid plate sets. About $600 if memory serves.

I've done considerable business with all four on my 2009 RZR 800LE and my 2016 General Deluxe. All are easy to work with. Stand behind their product
and service and just these will give you and awesome machine!!

Pirate
ok what about the trouble with the rear end exploding?

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The diff failing and shattering the diff case and internals was a RZR 800 issue.

I believe the General problem is with the Turf Mode. Not sure how severe that is as I have a 2016 without it. There are a number of excellent fixes out there
that others can provide information on.
Pirate

941 - 954 of 954 Posts