Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2018 General Premium out for a long ride today. Took delivery on it earlier this month. A friend in the neighborhood drove his 2017 General Deluxe along with me. I like my machine, but I am here to tell you the front differential noise has not been cured. My 2018 does have the CV joints in the driveshaft, but the diff sounds like a miniature cement mixer. The noise and vibration telegraphs through the frame, making it that much worse. I'm sure it makes the same noise as all the others that have been complained about since day one. The straight cut, unloaded gears sound awful. The steering wheel is also angled to the right when going straight, another apparent common problem.

What was most disappointing is that my friend let me drive his. No noise from the front diff at all, and the steering wheel is straight. His came from the factory like that. It was a real pleasure to drive.

So the obvious question is, if they can build one right, why not all of them??

Guess I'll see what the dealer says about remedies. I'm already prepared to hear "All Polaris ATVs make drive line noise...". Time to start reading the drive line blogs in the forum.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems ,I think Polaris will fix it for you,

I have to say I have had some problems.

But,heck if life was perfect it would sure be boring.LOL

·
Registered
533 Posts
Have you guys checked the oil level in your front diff. When I got mine home before the first ride I checked everything and my front diff was empty. When I went back to the dealer they said they come serviced from the factory. They gave me the oil I needed and once serviced I never had any front end noise at all from my G. I had them change the drive shafts anyways when they became available but never had any noise from the front ever.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My front diff was about 1/2 full the day I brought it home from the dealer. Would not have bothered me except I drove the buggy home from the dealer on 25 miles of dirt back roads. Doubt I caused any long term issues, but I will make sure the dealer shows me the fluid levels at the dealer next time, or no sale. Dealer also said I would have plenty of gas to get home, he knew where I was going, so I did not question him. I pulled into a gas station once I hit town and took 8. something gallons. Yea, plenty of gas.

Best advice for anyone buying a new General, check all levels before riding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My front diff was about 1/2 full the day I brought it home from the dealer. Would not have bothered me except I drove the buggy home from the dealer on 25 miles of dirt back roads. Doubt I caused any long term issues, but I will make sure the dealer shows me the fluid levels at the dealer next time, or no sale. Dealer also said I would have plenty of gas to get home, he knew where I was going, so I did not question him. I pulled into a gas station once I hit town and took 8. something gallons. Yea, plenty of gas.

Best advice for anyone buying a new General, check all levels before riding.
Just curious. Did you get it from Ridenow?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I never trust the dealers when I buy a new unit from them. First thing I do is pull a inspection of the oils in question and check bolt torques, etc.. My new 2018 General 4 was fine. Oil levels right on, bolts tight, etc. I have over 500 miles on mine and I have to say I have not had the dreaded drive line front differential issue to date.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Its a matter of the clearances in the rollers. JJ&A Racing Products blueprints the Hilliard Diff and offers a number of upgrades...I've purchased all on the two I've had done.

The difference is simply incredible. Jeff, off JJ&A, told me that there are clearances as large as 0.035" t0 0.040" and his $99 blueprinting cuts that clearance to 0.0005"...that's right half a thousandth.

Jeff won't say what his process is...but I had my first done in 2012. The business is a large CNC machine shop. I suspect he measures your diff internals an cuts a set of rollers that provide the very tight clearance.

Thus components in the diff, ring, pinion, output hubs..the works...isn't in there free to bounce around inside the diff.

I'd be that Polaris provides specs with the contract for the Hilliard differential...and they have a range of values. The noisiest diffs have the largest clearance.

Here's a link to their website. I think you'll find it interesting. Oh, and before I had one mile on my 2016 General...the front diff went to Jeff!

http://www.jjandaracing.com/

Check it out,

Pirate

·
Registered
279 Posts
Its a matter of the clearances in the rollers. JJ&A Racing Products blueprints the Hilliard Diff and offers a number of upgrades...I've purchased all on the two I've had done.

The difference is simply incredible. Jeff, off JJ&A, told me that there are clearances as large as 0.035" t0 0.040" and his $99 blueprinting cuts that clearance to 0.0005"...that's right half a thousandth.

Jeff won't say what his process is...but I had my first done in 2012. The business is a large CNC machine shop. I suspect he measures your diff internals an cuts a set of rollers that provide the very tight clearance.

Thus components in the diff, ring, pinion, output hubs..the works...isn't in there free to bounce around inside the diff.

I'd be that Polaris provides specs with the contract for the Hilliard differential...and they have a range of values. The noisiest diffs have the largest clearance.

Here's a link to their website. I think you'll find it interesting. Oh, and before I had one mile on my 2016 General...the front diff went to Jeff!

http://www.jjandaracing.com/

Check it out,

Pirate
Pirate, I posted this under Engine & Transmission a couple of weeks ago, here is a brief version. Does JJ&A address the Alignment Bushing?
They had a model at the show and the difference between the stock bushing (loose) and the Hub Hornet (virtually none) was impressive.

Went to an Off Road Expo in Phoenix today. A company called B-L Tech was selling an improved Alignment Bushing for the Hilliard diff., called a Hub Hornet. $199.
The manufacturer website is HubHelper and dealer is B-L Tech Hub Hornet. Has anyone looked at these or installed one?
Seems like a "good thing" to me.

Polaris front differential aerospace cantilevered bushing drive-hub alignment product. Lifetime warranty. Made in the U.S.A.

The degenerative process that leads to intermittent front drive, broken roller cages, bent & broken armature plates, and complete front differential failure starts with the drive hub bushings. Due to their design, the center drive hub bushing sees very little lubrication under use and tends to wear quickly. When it wears, internal parts start to come in contact with each other and see loads they were never designed for. Designed to work with heavy duty roller cages, armature plates and bearing kits for a completely bulletproof Polaris front differential.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Spggy,

I'm not sure. Jeff is pretty secretive about his process for improving the Hilliard diff.

I'd like to look into the Hub Hornet. But about as busy as one can get...getting ready for Moab...fencing, cattle guards...all that ranch stuff...

Per chance to you have a link to the Hub Hornet you can share?

Thanks,

Pirate

1 - 13 of 13 Posts