Polaris General Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you have experienced this. Stripped it out when using a small dewalt hammer drill.

Any advice before I dig in?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Close up

·
Registered
781 Posts
I did that same thing on my 800 sportsman. I used a snap on easy out, let me find a picture

Reactions: Johnny 7

·
Registered
781 Posts
This is a Irwin set very similar to the snap on

Attachments

Reactions: Johnny 7

·
Registered
781 Posts
You're going to need to drill the hole out, not all the way thru but get clean metal for the extractor to bit into. The extractor will have a specific size hole for each size of extractor. Also you'll want to tap on the plug with a hammer and punch to help loosen it up. Good luck with it

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Corbo. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I haven't taken any out of Generals, but i have removed several on Rangers that fill and drain plugs for transmission, differential and engine that been over tightened eventually stripped out. I have used with much success a rather unorthodox removing procedure using a blunt chisel and carefully rapping the plug edge with a hammer. Some times if they aren't fully stripped out I use a brass drift and hammer rap the end of the plug and they usually loosen up. If you can drill and use a easy out that should work well. When i work my own or others i use a inch lb. dial indicator torque wrench to no more than 12-14 inch pounds. I always use anti-seize grease on threads before putting a steel plug in a aluminium housing.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
First, go to the Sandcraft website and order yourself a set of their drain plugs:

They are $99.99 for a full set for a General, I think the RZR set is the same. Notice the 10mm hex head? You won't tear it off. The magnets are stronger to collect "stuff"
and if you drop one...it'll be stuck to the first piece of metal it goes past!

So now for the stripped drain plug. Get a wide blade flat screwdriver with a square stock between blade and handle.

It needs to have a blade that is a bit wider than the stripped out hole.

Remove the left front wheel, take a hammer and drive the screwdriver into the hole until it has made a groove that holds the plug. Now take a correct size end wrench that fits the screwdriver shank and turn it out.

NOW...remember that all but the engine oil drain use an O-ring to seal them. If you look at the book...10 or 12 ft-lbs is all it takes to seal. So put a 10mm socket on the end of a 6", 1/4" drive extension. Turn the drain plug in finger tight...fingers turning the new drain plug. When finger tight, put a ratchet on the extension and drain plug and turn it on ratchet click on a 1/4" drive ratchet. Or turn the ratchet about 10 degrees, not much at all...and the plug is torqued in..DONE! Do not use anything but a 1/4" drive ratchet and then your fingers to turn the drain plug in and out.

Pirate

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As always, thanks Pirate.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Ummm....Roadrunner, the Service Manual - Master Torque Table calls for 10-14 ft-lbs. in-lbs is less than finger tight. Yeah, gotta watch the numbers and torque wrenches carefully.

Just sayin'

Pirate

·
Registered
329 Posts
First, go to the Sandcraft website and order yourself a set of their drain plugs:
View attachment 66321
They are $99.99 for a full set for a General, I think the RZR set is the same. Notice the 10mm hex head? You won't tear it off. The magnets are stronger to collect "stuff"
and if you drop one...it'll be stuck to the first piece of metal it goes past!

So now for the stripped drain plug. Get a wide blade flat screwdriver with a square stock between blade and handle.

It needs to have a blade that is a bit wider than the stripped out hole.

Remove the left front wheel, take a hammer and drive the screwdriver into the hole until it has made a groove that holds the plug. Now take a correct size end wrench that fits the screwdriver shank and turn it out.

NOW...remember that all but the engine oil drain use an O-ring to seal them. If you look at the book...10 or 12 ft-lbs is all it takes to seal. So put a 10mm socket on the end of a 6", 1/4" drive extension. Turn the drain plug in finger tight...fingers turning the new drain plug. When finger tight, put a ratchet on the extension and drain plug and turn it on ratchet click on a 1/4" drive ratchet. Or turn the ratchet about 10 degrees, not much at all...and the plug is torqued in..DONE! Do not use anything but a 1/4" drive ratchet and then your fingers to turn the drain plug in and out.

Pirate
Good advice Pirate! I replaced mine with the same plugs. 10 mm socket is all you need for all the plugs on the General.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ummm....Roadrunner, the Service Manual - Master Torque Table calls for 10-14 ft-lbs. in-lbs is less than finger tight. Yeah, gotta watch the numbers and torque wrenches carefully.

Just sayin'

Pirate
That is why I use a inch pound torque wrench. Too many peoples Rangers I have worked seem to always over torque them.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Yup, bought a Mac Tools 1/4" drive torque wrench...whew a long time ago. It's in in-lbs. Easy to do a little math and convert ft-lbs to in-lbs.

The biggest thing...don't get carried away tightening drain plugs!!

The Sandcraft set should be a huge seller...I hope!!

Pirate

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the Sandcraft set. Meanwhile, screwdriver trick didnt work and broke off the screw extractor, so, I've put a call in to a buddy that is an auto body guy for help.

A pipe nipple extractor might be able to get it out.

FYi, this is the first time I've drained this, so, over torquing from a previous oil change was not the cause.

Of course, I already drained the oil, so I cant even ride.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I feel for you, good luck with this pita

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys see an issue welding a nut onto the plug face?

Tight place to weld.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Take a bolt with the threaded end that will fit in the stripped out drain plug. Have someone weld the bolt to the drain plug. Let it cool, and voila it will come out. The heat of the weld won't hurt anything other than the o-ring on the drain plug, which you will be replacing anyway. I've used this trick on Meritor gear drive hubs on military trucks. They seem to get way over torqued and strip out. Welding a bolt to it is way easier than drilling it out and using an easy out. I've tried both ways.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. Yeah, trying to weld a nut on tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the mig tip in there without having to remove too many parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Find a chisel about the same size as the stripped hole. Tap chisel in until it has a good bite. Use wrench or crescent to turn out. Have used this method on drain plugs for years. Seem they get stripped the most.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Find a chisel about the same size as the stripped hole. Tap chisel in until it has a good bite. Use wrench or crescent to turn out. Have used this method on drain plugs for years. Seem they get stripped the most.
I tried that already.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts