Polaris General Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my fox shocks for my Blue General. I have not had a lot of experience with removing/install new shocks. Can I just remove the old and slap right on the new ones? Any tricks or things I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just received my fox shocks for my Blue General. I have not had a lot of experience with removing/install new shocks. Can I just remove the old and slap right on the new ones? Any tricks or things I should be concerned about?

Make sure you jack up the rig where the suspension can hang free. Other than that, it should be a pretty straight forward swap.

Tim

·
Registered
264 Posts
The two with the tender springs go in back and the single springs go up front.

Measure the ride height front and rear before you start.

Like was said before jack it up where the tires are off the ground. Remove the top and bottom bolts. Pull off old shocks and install new the same way.

EDIT: Take it for a ride before you measure the ride height.

Measure the ride height again. If too low add preload by turning the preload ring clockwise, if too high reduce preload by turing the preload ring counter clockwise.

EDIT: After every adjustment drive it around a little before you measure it again.

I never thought to include a shock wrench with the shocks. Did you get one with your General since the other side of it is a clutch tool?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The two with the tender springs go in back and the single springs go up front.

Measure the ride height front and rear before you start.

Like was said before jack it up where the tires are off the ground. Remove the top and bottom bolts. Pull off old shocks and install new the same way.

EDIT: Take it for a ride before you measure the ride height.

Measure the ride height again. If too low add preload by turning the preload ring clockwise, if too high reduce preload by turing the preload ring counter clockwise.

EDIT: After every adjustment drive it around a little before you measure it again.

I never thought to include a shock wrench with the shocks. Did you get one with your General since the other side of it is a clutch tool?
CS - Thanks for the help. I will double check on the clutch tool when I get home. Also, do you know how to change the springs? I would like to keep my blue ones to match my machine a little better. Thanks again!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just back the preload ring off until the springs are loose. Then you will be able to take the spring retainer off the bottom of the shock. Then the springs come off the bottom.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is the clutch/shock wrench. I'd think they'd give the same one to all RZR/Ranger/Generals just because it would be cheaper (economy of scale). It should be in your tool kit you got with your General.

I usually use a hammer and a punch to loosen the top locking ring. then use the wrench or my hand to spin them loose. I think I just hand tightened them before I mailed them.

When you are done swapping springs and have the ride height were you want it you tighten the top lock ring on top of the preload ring to keep it from moving when you are done.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,563 Posts
Will those blue springs work with the fox shocks?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was wondering if the spring rate is different between the two, I can't imagine they would be that different.

Really the upgraded Fox shocks just give you the ability to change the compression. From what I have read the basic shocks are like the Deluxe shocks set on soft. The upgraded shocks let you firm up the ride which is nice if you are on a fast trail.

So I would guess that if the spring rates are not the same they are very close. Same ride height and same capacities for all the machines.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For those that have swapped, is there a "SAFE" area to where you can set the height? I just switched and looking at Videos etc, it seems mine would be cranked pretty far down compared to others I I have seen on the videos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts